PDA

View Full Version : Three Wheels

hookookadoo
02-23-2010, 05:57 AM
EDIT: DTSWISS intended to be RR1850 in poll. 1450 is the climbing wheel which I don't think I need. Sorry...

I am a 5'8" 145lb rider. Riding conditions are generally flat with rolling hills every 3-4 miles but nothing lasting more than a 1/4 mile generally. I am fortunate to be able to find good road conditions on 90% of my riding so that is not an issue. Wheels should offer a solid ride, confident cornering and be relatively low maintenance. I guess good customer service is another criteria but would hope I never have to call them. Have not finalized a new frame decision but will be carbon of some sort with Campy group. I read great things about HED Ard and Bast, Campy Eurus and DT Swiss RR1450. Looks like I can obtain all within the $1000 range +/-. If I was indifferent to the price what is the best choice knowing I probably can't go wrong with any of them? Going to try to do a poll to see what that reveals but welcome comments as well.

Last question: If I have a mid-90's Serotta would these wheels fit? I thought I recall that chainstays are narrower now or something like that.

kestrel
02-23-2010, 06:35 AM
I am a 5'8" 145lb rider. Riding conditions are generally flat with rolling hills every 3-4 miles but nothing lasting more than a 1/4 mile generally. I am fortunate to be able to find good road conditions on 90% of my riding so that is not an issue. Wheels should offer a solid ride, confident cornering and be relatively low maintenance. I guess good customer service is another criteria but would hope I never have to call them. Have not finalized a new frame decision but will be carbon of some sort with Campy group. I read great things about HED Ard and Bast, Campy Eurus and DT Swiss RR1450. Looks like I can obtain all within the $1000 range +/-. If I was indifferent to the price what is the best choice knowing I probably can't go wrong with any of them? Going to try to do a poll to see what that reveals but welcome comments as well.

Last question: If I have a mid-90's Serotta would these wheels fit? I thought I recall that chainstays are narrower now or something like that.

I have a mid 90's Legend Ti with 10-speed Eurus. The bike was originally 8-speed, went to 9-speed, now 10. No issues.

I didn't vote in the poll because I have no first hand knowledge of the other two wheelsets. I'm 195lbs and have no issues with the Eurus wheels after a couple of years riding them. They hold up well to all the NC and SC roads I've ridden them over.

Ozz
02-23-2010, 08:15 AM
I have a mid 90's Legend Ti with 10-speed Eurus. The bike was originally 8-speed, went to 9-speed, now 10. No issues.....
+1

I have a set of Eurus from 2003...they are the older model with steel spokes...absolutely bulletproof. That said, look for a recent thread on "spoke replacement" for the Eurus.

I am sure all three at which you are looking are solid wheel. You might even want to throw the Campy Neutron into the mix. It has a more traditional look than the Eurus, and I've never heard a bad word about them.

One last thing....you should expect a few folks to start trying to talk you into handbuilts....not that there is anything wrong with that. :p

rockdude
02-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Campy wheels all the way!

MarcusPless
02-23-2010, 08:31 AM
I *really* want to love Campy wheels but the parts situation (spoke cost/availability, for example) is just not acceptable to me. My preference is for wheels built around parts that are somewhat readily available, ie, the LBS might not have the *exact* matching spoke on hand, but they'll have something that will work.

I've broken a few spokes over the years so it's a real issue for me; people that have never broken a spoke might view this as more of a theoretical problem.

--Marcus

kestrel
02-23-2010, 11:44 AM
I *really* want to love Campy wheels but the parts situation (spoke cost/availability, for example) is just not acceptable to me. My preference is for wheels built around parts that are somewhat readily available, ie, the LBS might not have the *exact* matching spoke on hand, but they'll have something that will work.

I've broken a few spokes over the years so it's a real issue for me; people that have never broken a spoke might view this as more of a theoretical problem.

--Marcus

I agree completely with these comments. I have several sets of wheels that have produced broken spokes at one time or another. Mavic Cosmics, G-40's, Araya's, Rolf's, Miche, Ambrosia, Bontrager and Winner hubs laced to SSC's. The only combination I have never broken a spoke with are Campy. Of course I do realize I've jinxed myself and my afternoon ride today will in all probability produce a broken Campy spoke. :D

hookookadoo
02-23-2010, 06:52 PM
I expected more of a mixed bag of responses.

steampunk
02-23-2010, 09:33 PM
because I've been riding my set for 3+ years. definitely on the solidly built side. i'd buy them again (or upgrade to shamals) without hesitation.

i experienced the "parts situation" first-hand as i bought my set used and at a bargain from a guy who crashed and was parting out his bike. i had the rear rebuilt with a new rim (spokes were not broken and were re-used). yep it was kinda pricey, no way around that if you break something. the lbs that rebuilt it is very experienced with campy, and since that initial rebuild years ago, the set has not needed truing at all. like i got a new set, and it has been low/zero-maintenance ever since.

i should also add i'm 130lbs, and find them stiff in a good way.

cheers...
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/rayovolks/Ride%20pics%20091017/DSCN1584_r.jpg

JonB
02-24-2010, 06:22 AM
Just wondering how many people have had issues with their Campy wheels where they needed to get parts? Should it be a limiting factor to getting the Eurus?

I'm not saying it can't happen - I have a friend that busted a spoke on a group ride. Getting a replacement required having one ordered by an LBS so there was a bit of a wait to get the wheel repaired, but I saw that as a real exception.

However, I do not think that you should place too much weight on the parts replacement thing. The pleasure that you get from these wheels will far outweigh the minimal chance that you'd ever have any issues with these wheels.

wasfast
02-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Not Campy wheel specific but I've gotten to the point where I no longer want any wheels with what I term "goofy spokes". This means all the non-traditional spokes that must be ordered (Mavic, Rolf, Shimano), need custom spoke wrenches (Mavic, Shimano), hidden nipples on tubulars (Hed Stinger) etc. Ultimately, very few offer real advantages over a conventional wheel with J Bend round or bladed spokes from Wheelsmith, DT or Sapim.

For general riding, difficult to beat a traditional 32 spoke 3 cross wheel. If you really want to depart from there, consider a deeper (46mm-66mm)carbon wheel so you at least get some aero assistance.

My current wheels:

Factory built: Reynolds Alta Race, Reynolds DV46C (46mm), Reynolds Strike (66mm), Renn Disc.

Handbuilts: Campy Daytona hubs, (32 spoke) with Mavic CXP33 rims, Campy Record hubs (32 spoke) with Mavic Open Pro rims, Rolf Elan hubs (20/24 spoke)with Velocity Aerohead rims (saving "goofy" paired spoke hubs with conventionally drilled rims).