PDA

View Full Version : OT: Nespresso vs. SuperAuto

jimp1234
02-22-2010, 07:36 PM
My La Pavoni Club Combo died about 6 months back, and I've been surviving on the the espresso from the cafe in my building during the week, and my wife's Tassimo "pod" system on the weekend. I've sorta gotten to like the "no muss, no fuss" of my wife's pod system but want a bit more flavor, which has got me thinking about either the Nespresso pod system, or a "SuperAuto" espresso machine. (Btw, I'm aware that most coffee connoisseurs would do thumbs down for either option). Any thoughts, particularly comparing the two would be helpful. Also, for those in the SuperAuto camp, any brand/model recommendations would also be appreciated. TIA

-Jim

OtayBW
02-23-2010, 12:12 AM
I've been using Nespresso for the last ~month. It's really very good and you can get ~15 different varieties/roasts of coffee for ~$0.50 apiece (where I am now, anyway). I don't know if can beat fresh espresso, though...

jblande
02-23-2010, 12:20 AM
My wife's family has a Nespresso machine, and I absolutely hate it. Beyond its massive waste of materials, the espresso does not taste that good at all.

pbjbike
02-23-2010, 05:51 AM
I've been using a friend's Gaggia Titanium for a couple of days, and I'm impressed at the flavor of the coffee. Much more consistent than I could make on a manual machine.

OtayBW
02-23-2010, 05:56 AM
My wife's family has a Nespresso machine, and I absolutely hate it. Beyond its massive waste of materials, the espresso does not taste that good at all.
They have a recycling program for both grounds and containers.

Steevo
02-23-2010, 08:05 AM
Until you figure out what to do, try some of the Tassimo European pods available on line. They are a bit stonger.

MarcusPless
02-23-2010, 08:45 AM
I've always wondered what will happen when the Nespresso supply disappears...

Are there Nespresso alternatives? (I still use a Starbucks "Barista" machine and a burr grinder from the North American Solis/Barratza guys). The combo has worked for years but I'm sure it's far from ideal (and I refuse to spend $1000 on coffee).

--Marcus

csm
02-23-2010, 08:46 AM
uh oh.... I binged the Gaggia Titanium.....
now I think I have to get one!
wonder if I can score some Legend Ti decals for it....

pdxmech13
02-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Jura-Capresso!

robin3mj
02-23-2010, 10:06 AM
We got a Nespresso for our anniversary one time, and used it for about 2 years before I got tired of ordering half decent coffee at 50c a shot. I would generally have 1 or 2 before riding to work, and then on weekends we use a French press, so finally I just got a mini press and have been using that for the past year or so. Better coffee, cheaper, easier.

goonster
02-23-2010, 10:09 AM
There is no substitute for top-shelf commercial espresso, and to try to replicate it at home is a lost cause for most, imo.

I don't like super-autos on principle, and Nespresso is much better than any other pod system; "good enough" for me at home. There is wasted aluminum, but the overall waste is less for me now than when I had beans (Zoka, Intelligentsia, etc.) go stale before.

pbjbike
02-23-2010, 10:37 AM
The Gaggia is going to ebay for a good BIN price let me know if you are interested.

oldguy00
02-23-2010, 11:37 AM
If you really want a pod system, I think I'd go for a Keurig (sp?) for the simple fact that you can buy an aftermarket reusable 'pod' that you can fill with your own fresh ground coffee beans.

MadeinGermany
02-23-2010, 12:10 PM
About two years ago I bought one of those SuperAuto DeLonghi machines at Starbucks. I got a great deal since Starbucks stopped selling coffee machines.
Would not change this machina for anything. It is not the Rolls Royce of espresso machines, but nevertheless makes a great cup of coffee. Of course this all depends on the beans. Good thing is that you can buy beans from any independent store, bakery or buy even online. This is a nice way to mix it up once in a while, and sampling new coffee has never been more fun.