PDA

View Full Version : Sella Anatomica Users

Smiley
02-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Is this saddle as good as my B17N or Swallow? They have it in Red which is my attraction. Call me a slave of fashion :)

Ray
02-22-2010, 02:43 PM
I tried one (forget which model - there were two or three I think). It was waaaaay more of a hammock than any Brooks I've ever used, except for a very old one that was severely broken in. Its possible that by tightening the hell out of the tensioning bolt and maybe lacing the "wings" together you might be able to stiffen it up. Or you might love it. Some people do. But mine did not feel anything like a Brooks out of the box, if that's of use.

-Ray

palincss
02-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Is this saddle as good as my B17N or Swallow? They have it in Red which is my attraction. Call me a slave of fashion :)

It is very different from a B.17. There are many who really love it. It's all about sag - much too saggy for my taste, but I have friends who like theirs a whole lot.

SEABREEZE
02-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Since saddles are very subjective, and I sold my anotomica for my present one. You owe it to yourself to check this one out

Surfas MH-RX Performance plush like sitting on my living room couch, so my LBS owner said to me after taking a ride on my bike

velotel
02-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Since I've not ridden on your B17N or (presumably your) Swallow, I haven't a clue if my Selle Anatomica is as good or not. What I can say is that my SA is superb. If, or rather when, it's starts to sag a bit, I just tighten up the adjustment screw. Been a long time since I did that. Seems to have settled in to the stiffness I like though I do have more tightening if I need it. For me a terrific saddle. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

sevencyclist
02-22-2010, 04:51 PM
I got a Sella Anatomica saddle that worked okay overall. It had slightly softer feel, but not as comfortable as my Brooks B-17 due to the shape difference. So my solution was a Brooks B-17 with cutout done by Sella Anatomica. It is now my most comfortable saddle.

SoCalSteve
02-22-2010, 05:27 PM

If I had a dollar for every time you called me a slave to fashion!!!

I'd have like $2.00.

Just sayin'

Steve

Smiley
02-22-2010, 05:38 PM
If I had a dollar for every time you called me a slave to fashion!!!

I'd have like $2.00.

Just sayin'

Steve

So CaL did u ever give these a try

sevencyclist
02-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Hi Smiley,

Will these Brooks red do it?

http://www.brookssaddles.com/en/Shop_ProductPage.aspx?cat=editions+-+limited+editions&prod=Red+Team+Pro+NACCC+Boston

http://www.brookssaddles.com/en/Shop_ProductPage.aspx?cat=editions+-+limited+editions&prod=Red+Swift+HBPWC+Philadelphia

palincss
02-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Nice looking saddles, but the Team Pro and the B.17 really are distinctly different saddles. I happen to own and like both, but not everybody does like both, and they aren't really interchangeable.

I'm not sure how Smiley feels personally about these two. He's quite famous locally as a B.17 evangelist, of course; whenever I see a black B.17 Standard on a racy road bike, I know I'm looking at the "Mark of Smiley," and these folks unfailingly turn out to be satisfied customers who usually say things like "He saved me!" But what does The Man actually ride, himself?

Smiley
02-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Nice looking saddles, but the Team Pro and the B.17 really are distinctly different saddles. I happen to own and like both, but not everybody does like both, and they aren't really interchangeable.

I'm not sure how Smiley feels personally about these two. He's quite famous locally as a B.17 evangelist, of course; whenever I see a black B.17 Standard on a racy road bike, I know I'm looking at the "Mark of Smiley," and these folks unfailingly turn out to be satisfied customers who usually say things like "He saved me!" But what does The Man actually ride, himself?
B17 N and B 17 and Swallow are my rides:)

Smiley
02-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Hi Smiley,

Will these Brooks red do it?

http://www.brookssaddles.com/en/Shop_ProductPage.aspx?cat=editions+-+limited+editions&prod=Red+Team+Pro+NACCC+Boston

http://www.brookssaddles.com/en/Shop_ProductPage.aspx?cat=editions+-+limited+editions&prod=Red+Swift+HBPWC+Philadelphia

not my cup of java and not red enough, wish I could share my Bedford build with you all but not until NAHBS sorry :)

sevencyclist
02-22-2010, 06:54 PM
not my cup of java and not red enough, wish I could share my Bedford build with you all but not until NAHBS sorry :)

Please post pictures once it is revealed. Looking forward to seeing it.

Perhaps a brighter Red Sella San Marco Regal from atmo?
http://www.richardsachs.com/rsachstoys.html

Smiley
02-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Please post pictures once it is revealed. Looking forward to seeing it.

Perhaps a brighter Red Sella San Marco Regal from atmo?
http://www.richardsachs.com/rsachstoys.html

no loops on the rear for classic bags, this bike screams classique

palincss
02-22-2010, 09:16 PM
You can get bag loops that bolt onto the rails. Velo Orange sells them. I have a pair on the Team Pro on my 1991 Spectrum Ti.

dekindy
02-22-2010, 10:33 PM
http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng/Products/2009/Recreation/Touring/Details/1647-8TR1-Touring-1

Maybe you can test ride an SA on a Touring 1 at a Cannondale dealer.

Waldo
02-22-2010, 11:08 PM

Better than Brooks. Way better. I had B17 Champion Specials on 5 bikes, but once I tried An-Atomicas, I switched saddles on all my bikes. I ride double centuries on mine, tightened about half-way. Their red dye is not that great and will start abrading after a few hundred miles unless they've changed the formula. But you don't notice the color of the saddle while you're riding.

Peter B
02-23-2010, 01:14 AM
Its been said; saddles are personal. I have new plastic, old leather and SAs. The uberlight ones are great for rides up to 100 miles and even 200 with lots of out of the saddle climbing time.

Once the distance builds, say 400k and up, or for multi day, back-to-back-to-back-to...rides, the leather shines for me. Brooks Swift served well for 1,050 fixed miles from CA to CO. SA was the bees knees for a fixed PBP in '07. I had ZERO butt issues and was comfy.

But I'm light at 145-150 lb range. I had my SA built up on a Swift ti frame so it weighs a bit less, has bag loops and I know the rails will maintain shape. No troubles yet with leather tension, but I do my best to keep it dry. A breadbag will do a lot in an extended downpour.

That's my story. YMMV, especially if you're a good bit heavier or live in Seattle.

BengeBoy
02-23-2010, 09:05 AM
I have a Selle-Anatomica on my "long distance" bike and a Brooks B17 on my commuter. I've ridden Brooks saddles for almost 30 years, and found the SA much easier to break in, and the same or more comfortable on long rides.

One difference is that the SA will need a fair amount of tightening over time to keep it taut -- while the Brooks only need the occasional tweak. With the SA you might have to go in from time to time and turn the tightening bolt several times which, as you know, is *lots* more tightening than a Brooks will ever need.

My SA has about 5,000 miles on it; the bolt is about half-way through its range.