PDA

View Full Version : Satisfying my carbon curiosity...

dd74
02-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Well, I'm about to purchase my first carbon bike in 23 years, which back in the day was a Peugeot PY 10fc. Why am I doing this? Curiosity really, as I wanted to see what modern-day carbon was about. As well, I wanted a more modern frame that went beyond the threaded headsets and quill stems of my steel and titanium bike.

The bike is a Ridley Orion. My LBS gave me an outstanding deal on it. The frame isn't flashy or sensuously curvaceous as some on the market, but at the same time, it is about $1,500 less than what I was otherwise looking at. Component plans call for full Dura Ace for this bike, and if all works out, Easton SLX wheels. I figure this will be a good introduction to the carbon world.

As always, I say this will be my last bike, but c'mon! Let's be serious here! :D

Any thoughts or advice, if anyone has any, will be greatly appreciated?

Thx. :beer:

Blue Jays
02-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Enjoy it! Buying new bikes is so much fun.
I dig my contemporary aluminum, carbon, steel, and titanium frames in no particular order in terms of material.
My classic steel frames are equally wonderful and I still ride 'em all the time.
You'll likely have a wonderful time with this new addition as well.

stickville
02-22-2010, 02:03 PM
I swore I would never stray from steel, ti or aluminum bicycles. I was seduced by a white Serotta carbon bicycle! Buying a new bike is like falling in .... again. You are constantly thinking about what new accesories to buy, etc.

My new carbon frame is about 1.5 lbs lighter than my Serotta steel frame. Riding my steel frame on "chip and tar" roads would rattle this bikes head set. Not on my new carbon bike. Also, on out of the saddle hill climbs,the carbon frame has a "springiness" that gives the sensation the bike springs foward after the power down stroke of the pedal.

I am having a lot of fun!

quattro
02-22-2010, 04:18 PM
I owned a Peugeot CF frame I purchased back in 1986, don't recall the name of designation, but it had three main tubes of CF and the head tube, seat stays and chain stays, BB and fork were alumunim, same frame? It said Carbon de fibre on the top tube in peel off silver letters. That bike was a noodle compared to CF frames of today. I own a custon Parlee Z1 and you really can't compare the two at all. I have to say for a frame from 1986 it certainly was super light. Enjoy your new CF frame.

quattro

dd74
02-22-2010, 04:48 PM
I owned a Peugeot CF frame I purchased back in 1986, don't recall the name of designation, but it had three main tubes of CF and the head tube, seat stays and chain stays, BB and fork were alumunim, same frame? It said Carbon de fibre on the top tube in peel off silver letters. That bike was a noodle compared to CF frames of today. I own a custon Parlee Z1 and you really can't compare the two at all. I have to say for a frame from 1986 it certainly was super light. Enjoy your new CF frame.

quattro
Yes, you had the same frame as I did. I converted it to a single speed, which made it no less tortuous to ride. Sold the whole thing and never looked back. The same might happen to my other steeds if I like this c/f bike (well, maybe not the Paramount or Appel).

Velosmith
02-22-2010, 08:50 PM
I did the same thing last year. I found a $600 2008 Specialized frame and fork right at Christmas time and had to apologize to my wife. Through the spring I built it up with the idea that I was going to be faster on the local club 2 hour sprint rides. I rode it on a few centuries and some great tough climbing rides. I got to ride it yesterday after a winter of steel fixed gear riding

Verdict.... It's still a great ride for short hard rides. Smooth and comfortable. The Campy 11 speed shifting is flawless.

I still prefer steel for everything else. Over a really long ride (more than 200k) it's still my preference.

Charles M
02-22-2010, 09:35 PM
I would hate to start making generalizations about material, thinking one's like another...

The Orion leans (much) more stiff than comfortable. You'll feel it more on medium and big bumps. It does an OK job soaking up buzz, but there are lots of frames that will do better in smoothness and bump soaking.

It's pretty direct steering, not a lot of load up and the fork is reasonably stiff. Good finish for the most part from Ridley. They do similar work regardless of the place in the product line (a nice thing). I dont think there's a big size run (4-5?) so take a peak...

If you're a big guy who likes a pretty stiff ride, enjoy it.

ergott
02-23-2010, 04:48 AM
Any thoughts or advice, if anyone has any, will be greatly appreciated?

Thx. :beer:

Don't ride it outside or on a trainer and you will be fine.

:p

dekindy
02-23-2010, 07:28 AM
I swore I would never stray from steel, ti or aluminum bicycles. I was seduced by a white Serotta carbon bicycle! Buying a new bike is like falling in .... again. You are constantly thinking about what new accesories to buy, etc.

My new carbon frame is about 1.5 lbs lighter than my Serotta steel frame. Riding my steel frame on "chip and tar" roads would rattle this bikes head set. Not on my new carbon bike. Also, on out of the saddle hill climbs,the carbon frame has a "springiness" that gives the sensation the bike springs foward after the power down stroke of the pedal.

I am having a lot of fun!

The test would be to spend as much money on a steel bike as you did the carbon and compare the ride.

dd74
02-23-2010, 11:38 AM
If you're a big guy who likes a pretty stiff ride, enjoy it.
I'm a little guy (5-6) with a long reach. My LBS has nicknamed me "The Boxer" because of my reach. :)

But I like stiff.

dd74
02-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Don't ride it outside or on a trainer and you will be fine.

:p

How 'bout rollers?