PDA

View Full Version : Weird foot problem

bw77
02-22-2010, 11:33 AM
In the winter I (retired) normally walk 2-3 hours a day on the streets around my hood. Starting about 2 months ago, I noticed a problem with my left foot, after a few minutes walking, my toes want to "lock down", making it very difficult to walk. When I take my shoes off, problem goes away. I can walk outside in 2 pair of socks as much as I want, no problem. I can walk inside the house on the wood floor barefoot, no problem. I can ride my bike on the trainer, no problem. I have tried several pairs of shoes and boots, same problem.

I had a problem with sesamoiditis 2 years ago, and custom orthotics helped me with that. I do not feel any pain or discomfort under my big toe, the forefoot just wants to lock down.

I went to a podiatrist, and he has ordered a new pair of custom orthotics for me, which should be ready next week, but he had no idea why my forefoot locks down in shoes. In the meantime, I just walk around in socks, when it's dry and not too cold.

Has anyone out there ever had a problem like this?

dekindy
02-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Does your left foot not conform to a different shoe last as the right foot?

http://www.shoeschool.com/SHOESCHOOL/lasts/shoe_lasts_what.html

What do you mean by "lock down"?

bw77
02-22-2010, 02:08 PM
My left foot has a somewhat different shape, in that the metatarsals protrude more than on my right foot. So when I wiggle my toes, there is less range of vertical motion in my left shoe than in my right shoe.

What I mean by locking down, is my left toes want to flex downward instead of relaxing and rolling over the big toe. Like I was doing that exercise to grab a towel with my toes.

ciclisto
02-22-2010, 07:08 PM
as a podiatrist i am curious why you are getting new orthotics without a diagnosis! It seems to me you may have a mild hallux limitus and your old orthotic probably could have had a minor adjustment, but then no money is made. just my armchair dx.

whforrest
02-22-2010, 09:26 PM
I am getting bad pains on both feet where the arch meets the heel, what should I do?

Ken Robb
02-22-2010, 10:27 PM
I am getting bad pains on both feet where the arch meets the heel, what should I do?

It sounds like plantar Faciitis to this retired realtor who had a LOOOONG bout with same. Look it up on line, try the self-help remedies, don't be too slow to see a physician if you can't get better. If the problem persists it can develop into heel spurs which are harder to fix.

dekindy
02-22-2010, 10:38 PM
What Ken Robb said.

When mine hurt it was worst when I first put weight on it in the mornng or getting up from sitting down, which are both classic symptoms. Jogging, which I did on a lark one day since I hate to run, was what caused mine. It finally went away on it's own although it hung around for awhile and was painful enough that I was considering "the sock".

http://www.thesock.com/

bw77
02-23-2010, 05:48 AM
as a podiatrist i am curious why you are getting new orthotics without a diagnosis! It seems to me you may have a mild hallux limitus and your old orthotic probably could have had a minor adjustment, but then no money is made. just my armchair dx.

The original orthotic was not full length, it ends at the base of the toe. The podiatrist thought that might be causing a problem (and the new orthotic is covered by my insurance).