davidlee
02-21-2010, 09:33 PM
That was a GREAT game..
Another miracle on ice coming?

StellaBlue
02-21-2010, 09:36 PM
That was a GREAT game..
Another miracle on ice coming?

Unless Latvia wins, there is no miracle this year.

TMB
02-21-2010, 09:38 PM
I will be surprised.

Full disclosure - I'm Canadian and said before the games started that I did not think the Canadian team would even medal this time around.

Having said that, the US Team did not beat the Canadian Team tonight.

Ryan Miller did.

The US will not get the gold unless the TEAM plays better than they did.

tpendleton
02-21-2010, 09:41 PM
He was phenomenal tonight.

rugbysecondrow
02-21-2010, 09:41 PM
I will be surprised.

Full disclosure - I'm Canadian and said before the games started that I did not think the Canadian team would even medal this time around.

Ryan Miller did.

How didn't Canada score another goal the last 3 minutes to tie it up? Miller did a great job. The empty net shot sealed the deal.

TMB
02-21-2010, 09:45 PM
How didn't Canada score another goal the last 3 minutes to tie it up? Miller did a great job. The empty net shot sealed the deal.

I'm puzzled by this team, too many old guys, not enough young ones.

They kept shooting low on Miller, he missed nothing that was low. I can't understand why they didn't try going high.

Oh well.

Just a game I guess. Maybe.

StellaBlue
02-21-2010, 09:51 PM
I will be surprised.

Ryan Miller did.

It usually comes down to the hot goalie at this level. What's your point.

PS:It's time to go with Roberto

Norm Swift
02-21-2010, 10:16 PM
I will be surprised.

Ryan Miller did.

So, Ryan Miller scored FIVE goals tonight? I think that we can all agree about Ryan Miller's efforts, but Rafalski had a great game.

93legendti
02-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Isn't hockey a team game?

Ray
02-22-2010, 05:42 AM
I'm not much of a hockey fan, but stumbled onto that game flipping channels and DAMN was that an exciting game! Non-stop assaults on the US net in the last several minutes. I couldn't understand how the US couldn't get control of the puck before the Canadians pulled the goalie, missed when they did pull the goalie, and was surprised by the empty net goal.

All that said, it IS still the preliminaries. Waaaay too early to assume this means anything about the medals. Nice to have that bye though.

-Ray

Climb01742
02-22-2010, 05:57 AM
as an olympic aside, how about bode miller's slalom run in the combined? i was glad they showed miller early so i could switch over fulltime to watch hockey. turning out to be quite an olympics for america, eh?

Ray
02-22-2010, 06:06 AM
as an olympic aside, how about bode miller's slalom run in the combined? i was glad they showed miller early so i could switch over fulltime to watch hockey. turning out to be quite an olympics for america, eh?
Yup. I think the interesting thing is that Bode's finally living up to both his non-traditional expectations and everyone else's traditional expectations. He's always been more about having a good time and skiing for the pure art/craft/beauty of skiing and not being too worried about the medals. Everyone else seems primarily worried about the medals and I think that expectation played on him, whether he wanted it to or not. So now that he's grown up a bit, had a kid, etc, he's REALLY been able to put it in perspective, and REALLY been able to show up, relax, ski, and see what happens. And sure enough, when you're relaxed and having fun, you ski better, and sure enough, the medals take care of themselves. I dug his attitude after his Bronze, which was pure Body - 'I skied great, I'm happy to medal, but I could have easily finished fourth with that run".

Good on him all around.

-Ray

Keith A
02-22-2010, 08:44 AM
as an olympic aside, how about bode miller's slalom run in the combined? i was glad they showed miller early so i could switch over fulltime to watch hockey. turning out to be quite an olympics for america, eh?Continuing with the thread drift...I was sad to see that Svindal missed the gate and didn't make the podium. He comes across a decent guy with a good story and I was pulling for him too. His dad certainly gets into his son's performance.

William
02-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Continuing with the thread drift...

Miller skied the super-G in his downhill skis, something rarely done. Most racers choose slightly shorter and more shaped skis for the super-G, which has many more gates and sharper turns than the downhill. It was especially so Friday on a hard, challenging course. But Miller, feeling that he slowed at the bottom of Monday’s downhill, where the snow was softer, wanted all the speed he could muster. So he kept his longest, straightest skis.

“It’s really icy on the top and I thought the downhill skis would be the fastest,” he said. “And they were. Then I figured all I had to do was hang on.”

It was a run that impressed his colleagues.

“I don’t know how to describe Bode because he is a crazy guy and the perfect skier,” Austria’s Benjamin Raich said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/20/sports/olympics/20ski.html

zap
02-22-2010, 09:16 AM
The game was entertaining but not great.

Olympic games (other tournament hockey series too) for the most part are subpar compared to most regular NHL games. Next to no time for players to get familiar with one another.

Miller played very well, Brodeur was horrible. Hot goalies can win a series. Team USA defense played well too.

After watching Team Canada play poorly against Switzerland last week, I wondered how far Canada would go.

Germany next.

climbgdh
02-22-2010, 10:47 AM
For full disclosure i'm a Canadian as well...... even living in the Olympic city - Vancouver. Ryan Miller won the game..... undoubtedly. Brodeur made several VERY uncharacteristic plays and didn't look like a goaltender that has won everything. Rafalski is the only guy on the US that played a great game. Canada now plays Germany and then Russia then probably Sweden. The old guys on Team Canada turned the puck over several times costing goals...... then the 3 stupid penalties in 3rd did us in. If Ryan Miller has one bad period against a team like the Czech's & Vokoun (who is the US most likely semi-final match-up) watch out but if he continues playing this way who knows..... maybe they'll meet again in final. Course that's assuming Canada gets past Russia on Wednesday. That's a big IF at this point. Exciting hockey though.