PDA

View Full Version : SRAM Red vs. Dura Ace 7900

mlindy
02-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Which group is better?

rnhood
02-21-2010, 06:47 PM
This will largely be a case of personal preference. I prefer DA by a pretty long shot. But I can live with any of the three.

Pete Serotta
02-21-2010, 06:53 PM
What does "better" mean to you??

There are folks who love RED and others who love SHIMANO...

There are even a few of us who love CAMPY :) (although the prices are getting very crazy even for us crazies....) :crap:

PaMtbRider
02-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Which group is better?
Seriously?
Either one, they're both better then you will ever be :p
Neither, they both suck! Campy rules :banana:
SRAM, It has to be the best cause that's what Lance rides ;)
Dura-Ace, cause you have the cool option of electronic shifters :cool:
Really :confused:

David Kirk
02-21-2010, 07:12 PM
I just built up a new ride for myself and I used DA......... but only because Sram doesn't make a RED crank in my preferred length. If they offered a 180 RED I would have gone that way.

I see them as equals and it comes down to personal preference and how stuff feels to you. They are both top shelf.

Dave

Dave B
02-21-2010, 07:36 PM
SRAM often works with smaller hands, shimano has larger shifters and for small hands can be a bit much.

You are comparing two top end groups. Both work brilliantly.

Kind of like what is your favorite ice cream.

jpw
02-22-2010, 03:59 AM
I just built up a new ride for myself and I used DA......... but only because Sram doesn't make a RED crank in my preferred length. If they offered a 180 RED I would have gone that way.

The "only" says a lot though about where these two are. Shimano defines the 'art' and SRAM imitates it.

Ti Designs
02-22-2010, 04:14 AM
Either one, they're both better then you will ever be

Pretty much how I see it. i started with Dura-Ace 9-speed and changed to Ultegra as things wore out. My bike is still way better than it's rider, if there's anything in need of an upgrade, it's me.

Climb01742
02-22-2010, 04:50 AM
it might come down to: which hoods feel better to you, which hoods give the ramp you like on the bars you like, and do you dig sram's double tap shifting or shimano's two part levers? beyond that, sort of a toss-up. and i think most folks would have a hard time telling force from red and ultegra from DA.

gearguywb
02-22-2010, 06:07 AM
Depends on how good of a deal you can get on which group. They both work great!

sg8357
02-22-2010, 07:29 AM
Seriously?
Neither, they both suck! Campy rules :banana:

Campy rules 'cause they're the only one with a working triple.
Campagnolo the Tourists choice.

oldpotatoe
02-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Which group is better?

No way to answer this. Which lever feels better in your hand? Ride each group and decide, including Campagnolo. They all do the same thing, a little differently.

R3KC
02-22-2010, 08:31 AM
IMO Di2 is the best...Hands down.

Rear shifting and ergonomics SRAM Red.
Front shifting and crank stiffness 7900.
Braking is about equal.

Here is another opinion on shifters: http://www.testrider.com/fly.aspx?layout=videoindex&taxid=81&cid=215

Dave
02-22-2010, 09:53 AM
The test rider reporter hasn't ridden Campy long enough to realize that you don't have to move your hand to use the thumb button from the brake hood. Just swing the thumb back and shift with whatever part of your thumb touches the button. You don't have to use the tip of your thumb. Duh.

They also missed Shimano's loss of the 3-cog (larger) shift with the brake lever. The other two can still shift 3-cogs with one sweep - a common need with a compact crank.

No mention of the tap, tap, tap required with the finger levers of Shimano or SRAM instead of Campy's one push of the thumb button.

Adam
02-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Our techs prefer Shimano...Ken is even switching from Red to 7900 on his new Classique racer.

legacysti888
02-23-2010, 02:39 AM
Huh.

Please don't take this the wrong way - I'd like to HUMBLY put my $0.02 in and sharing in this thread because I have Red, 7900, SR 11 on my bikes.

The Red in a Meivici, Ulteam & RS CX, the SR11 on a Ulteam, the 7900 in a IF953 and the Di2 in a Ottrott. And mostly Campy Record 10 on the rest of my bikes.

They all rock BIG time. I love how they perform in their own way.

Fortunately for me, ALL the levers feel real good and comfy.

And yes, I speak for myself and only myself, when I say all of them are waaaayyy better than the rider.

I pick whatever bike I feel at the moment of selection and ride them all about equally.

Well, currently, the Ottrott gets a lot of attention... The Di2 is really in a class of it's own. REALLY.

I bought them all because I wanted to try them for myself and see how it performs on my terms.

Good luck on your choice... :beer:

oldpotatoe
02-23-2010, 08:01 AM
Our techs prefer Shimano...Ken is even switching from Red to 7900 on his new Classique racer.

Switching from Red to anything shimano is an easy decision...even 6700 is better than Red. BUT ya gotta have your 'techs' look at Campagnolo. Most comfy levers there is, IMO. Plus much more 'functional' levers, in terms of gear selection numbers and FD trim options.