PDA

View Full Version : The Cookie Lady of Afton Mountain

Lanny R. Levenson
03-10-2005, 07:34 AM
I saw this article about the "Cookie Lady of Afton Mountain" and thought people might be interested.

Lanny

BY BOB STUART
MEDIA GENERAL NEWS SERVICE Mar 7, 2005

AFTON, VA

For nearly 30 years, June Haven Curry of Afton has provided a
welcome oasis for weary cyclists, offering them shelter, food and the
warmth of a surrogate mother and grandmother.

The walls of Curry's "bike house," where people traveling the
TransAmerica Bicycle Trail stop in Afton, are blanketed with
postcards and other reminders of the 12,000 bike riders she has
hosted since 1976.

There are also books, photos, journals and scrapbooks detailing her
visitors at the bike house, a separate building near her residence
that she keeps stocked with food, drinks and other provisions.
She has been dubbed "The Cookie Lady of Afton" for her offering of
refreshments to travelers, and she was once featured on the late CBS
reporter Charles Kuralt's "On The Road" segment.

But for now, Curry must put her hospitality on hold and recover from a
stroke she suffered last month. She is in Augusta Medical Center's
skilled-nursing area, where each day she works her way back from the
stroke that paralyzed her left side. Curry is now able to stand, and
she works out on cardiovascular machines. Since her stroke Feb. 20,
Curry has recovered the use of her left arm but still has weakness in
her left leg.

"She is doing really well," said Joyce Cooke of Waynesboro, a close
friend to Curry over the past decade. Cooke keeps a daily vigil at
Curry's hospital room. "She'll get a little discouraged, and the
muscles get tired in her left leg," Cooke said of the recovery effort.
Curry, 84, finds it difficult to fathom how she became "The Cookie
Lady of Afton," and so well-known in bicycling circles.

The Adventure Cycling Association now sponsors the June Curry Trail
Angel Award in honor of Curry's many contributions to cyclists.
"I don't like to ride bikes, and I don't like to cook," she said.
But while she kept close to her Nelson County home, the world came to
her. Cyclists from several countries have visited, including one from
Portugal, who sent her a picture of his hometown and a letter, and
told her she reminded him of a verse in the Bible.

"Some go to church with me. Some sing, and some talk. One was an
accordion player," she said.

One child in a cycling family who visited when only 22 months old has
now graduated from West Point. Curry received a graduation
announcement. "So many of the boys bring their girlfriends. Some call
me 'Mother' and some 'Grandmother,'" she said. In 1996, more than
100 of her former guests held a reunion. And upon hearing of Curry's
illness, a cycling family of three from Bennettsville, S.C., made
plans to visit her in the hospital.

Cooke's students at Bethany Lutheran Preschool in Waynesboro each
year do a Project Love to help Curry open the bike house. "The
children bring in pasta, peanut butter and other things," Cooke said.
She said her classroom is now full of such items waiting for delivery
to Curry.

Cooke said Curry's target date for release from the hospital is
Friday [March 4-she was actually released Tues March 8]. And time is
approaching for the bike house to open. But Curry said she will take
things slow. She hopes to soon be using a walker. "I won't be able to
do it without help," she said of a return to full activity at the
bike house. The walk from her house to the bike house involves hills.
"I hope I can," she said. "I will miss it if I can't."

Bob Stuart is a staff writer at The News Virginian in Waynesboro.

Too Tall
03-10-2005, 07:43 AM
Thanks Lanny, we stop at her place every year at least once during the Spring Training camp me and wife run. It's like a piece of old Europe in our back yard....an old rusted out touring bicycle sits by the road with a sign....you see this as you top a steep climb and might mistake it for a hallucination if it weren't so welcoming. Nice.

musgravecycles
03-10-2005, 08:06 AM
this one immediately caught my attention.... I grew up in Nelson County VA. Afton Mountain is one 'my' climbs. If anyone ever wants to get their butt kicked, go ride Reed's or Love Gaps. Sections of both approach 20%. I grew up in Montebello and my parent's still live there. The climb up 56 from Vesuvius is my home climb, I've done it hundreds and hundreds of times. This makes me wish I had my bike at my parents home.

Too Tall where do you do your camp at?

Lanny R. Levenson
03-10-2005, 08:34 AM
The Tour du Pont or Trump used to go up Reeds Gap. Ugly! It's short and steep. Coming up from the Ski Chalet at the turn for Wintergreen makes for a nice climb. I would imagine riding back to Afton and off the mountain would be a challenging route. As for Vesuvius, I've only been in a car on it. That's an impressive home climb.
Lanny

Too Tall
03-10-2005, 09:43 AM
We do all that Musk. Reeds's, Love's, Vesuvius, WinterGreen OMG! Queen and I have organized this training camp for sport riders for 5 yrs. running. The crowd of 30+ riders are mostly folks who either do not race or used to race. I rent out a large BnB and do most of the cooking. It is in Nelson County where the heavens blessed us with the finest southern BBQ joint to grace this planet. Actually, I think that's why we go back every year.

Many yrs. ago I attended a climbing camp run by Betsy King and her pal Anna Schwartz in the same area. Hoo boy was I ever hooked on the awesome climbs you have. I mean WHAT could be more fun and treacherous than hooking a hard right off the Parkway and lettin' go of the brakes down WinterGreen or Reed's???? Yippee.

zap
03-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Lanny-thanks for posting the article.

TT- I never made the connection. I wonder why :rolleyes:

I have the sneeky feeling that in the next few years, we are going to have to put a triple on the tandem. :confused: I guess I better get a new cogset with a 27 on it before we head down.

Gone up Crabtree (rt#?) and Vesuvius on a single. I've only gone down Reeds Gap on the tandem. All are great fun. Love that part of the country.

Here's to June's recovery :beer:

Lanny R. Levenson
03-10-2005, 09:52 AM
I saw the camp done by Betsy King and Anna Schwartz but the time didn't work with my schedule. Hunter Allen, who rode with the Navigators, also has a camp in the Bedford area along with some other pros.

When are your camps?

Lanny

Too Tall
03-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Haha. H. is my coach. Yeah there is a Canadian outfit that took over the camp where Betsy used to do her camp. It is an ideal location and I'm very envious becuase they have all the dates locked up. My camp is on the other side of the Mtn. in Nelly's Ford which is about 60 miles from Bedford where H is located.

musgravecycles
03-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Too Tall, Not too long ago there was a thead on top speeds, I almost posted mine, which was going down the wintergreen side. This was before I started building and I was riding an ond 531 Jeunet that was my dad's when he was in college. I'd put a computer on it and that day I hit 66 going down that hill. What a rush!! Have you ever ridden up to Wintergreen itself from the bottom? The Final 4 miles on Wintergreen property average 18%, that's after the 6 or so miles from the valley. I was told by the Chief of the Wintergreen Fire Dept. I've heard that there's a former euro pro champion who runs a bread and breakfast in Nelly's Ford, do you know him? Man, All this talk makes me wish that I was climbing 56 right now. I've heard of Betsy Kings Camp, but never seen anyone connected with it.

Lanny R. Levenson
03-10-2005, 02:12 PM
The Wintergreen Ascent is sometime in the spring. I believe that it starts at the Ski Chalet and goes to the top of the mountain. The course is about 8 1/2 miles and last year's winner was under 34 minutes. The day we did the route, our fastest rider was 56 mph. I was a poor 44 mph. I'm ashamed to share my climb time.

Lanny

Too Tall
03-10-2005, 05:29 PM
That is an insane speed d**d! Wow. There is a race up to the chalet every yr. I race it last yr and took (I think) 14th in 40+ I couldn't quit even though I wanted to every f'in pedal stroke 'cause the campers were spread out every mile. Yes, I know the guy. He is an Belgian ex-pro and the guy I think he is 52 yrs. old and still kicks my arse up reeds gap EVERY time darnit.