PDA

View Full Version : Gibraltar Road

hairylegs
02-20-2010, 11:49 PM
I was up in SB visiting my mom and working with the symphony and decided to finally tackle the famed climb Gibraltar Road. I had to stop 4 or so times on the climb - the only climb I've done that compares is Latigo....and it doesn't compare! Crazy how high you can climb on the bike.

During the many times I got out off the seat a few times the chain skipped down a gear or two. Any ideas on how to adjust this? (I was obviously on the easiest gear - a 25 I think.)

Can't wait to climb this again and hopefully stop less!

Steve in SLO
02-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Gibraltar is a classic and a favorite of mine. Nice and steady except thru Rattlesnake Canyon, but that steep section is at least partially mitigated by the visual interest of the commune (yep, we still have some in Cali) and ocean.

Re self-shift:
Sounds like you need to adjust your barrel adjuster out. Start with half a turn. Also check to make sure your inner stop screw allows your rear derailleur to line up with your inner cassette ring. You may need to back it out a bit.

Kurt
02-21-2010, 10:10 AM
getting ready to climb latigo @ ~10 with a group, hate late starts. the climbs do not really compare, latigo is about 2300 to the second peak @ 8.2 miles and gib is over 4k @ 11 miles, this is starting from roco - sb roasting company which is where you have to start if you want to zip up that sucker. I think gib is the best loop in socal that I have been on, we go almost the whole way, shoot down painted cave, cross over 154 and descend old san marcos which is a new road as of last year. total miles is ~36 I think and it makes for one hell of a morning. there are some sections of gib that require more than a 25, not matter how fit or thin you are imo - I use a 39/29 year round and find myself in the 29 quite a bit on that sucker. glad you had a chance to tackle it, good for you

Steve in SLO
02-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Kurt,
Your post reminded me of my first race bike, a Gitanes Tour de France. It had a low gear of 41-23. I didn't have $$ to buy any other cogsets, so I rode/raced that 5 speed rear everywhere for years. That gearing did me fine on my daily ascent of Old San Marcos Road, and wasn't too bad even for Painted Caves. Gibralter was no problem.
Last month, I did Gibralter to Painted Caves and Old San Marcos, then back up Old SM and Painted Caves on my 34-25 and it wasn't too bad at 50y/o and moderate shape. I can't imagine pulling out my old Gitane with those gears and toestraps and trying that now.

Kurt
02-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Kurt,
Your post reminded me of my first race bike, a Gitanes Tour de France. It had a low gear of 41-23. I didn't have $$ to buy any other cogsets, so I rode/raced that 5 speed rear everywhere for years. That gearing did me fine on my daily ascent of Old San Marcos Road, and wasn't too bad even for Painted Caves. Gibralter was no problem.
Last month, I did Gibralter to Painted Caves and Old San Marcos, then back up Old SM and Painted Caves on my 34-25 and it wasn't too bad at 50y/o and moderate shape. I can't imagine pulling out my old Gitane with those gears and toestraps and trying that now.

warning: thread-drift, ha

just rolled in, omfg am I shot! I will never roll from the house this late again, esp to just get fooking dropped! lol. we live near beverly hills so its 30m just to get to san vicente and ocean where most of the weekend rides start, it was a solid head wind all the way to latigo and most of the way up - I could not make it past the first 6.2 mile point, way too much wine and pasta last night and well the age thing and the over weight thing makes it impossible. it was very clear and nice, but omg its a snap comp to gib right -the hardest part on lat is maybe 12% and the average is more like mid 5's and gib there are extended parts of 14-16% and the average is more like 7%. anyhow great ride, tough but great. so you use a 34-25 on gib huh, isn't that sort of like my 39-29? I don't think I would fair that well on gib right now, I am just too out of shape, in a few months maybe but I can't really see enjoying the climbing until the summer sometime. hope you got out today - take care

Kurt

hairylegs
02-22-2010, 12:24 AM
Hey Steve and Kurt -

I just spun on the trainer today easy while I watched USA kick butt against Canada!

I am indeed using a compact! I'll need it for France no doubt. I'm told the Ironman France course (which I'm training for) is similar to Gibraltar Road. Can't wait to try it again and stop less!

I ended up tightening the barrel adjuster and limit screws - I think it's good now. Fingers crossed!

Kurt - who do you cycle with on Sundays?

Steve - I might be pinging you for some good climbs in SLO - my mom's boyfriend lives up there....

false_Aest
02-22-2010, 12:54 AM
Kurt - who do you cycle with on Sundays?

+1 holla if you wanna ride.

.....I'm less of an ass in person