PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when you should buy new shoes?

jberenyi
02-20-2010, 07:13 AM
I have owned a pair of Sidi shoes for 4 years and I was wondering how you know when you should replace them?

zap
02-20-2010, 07:44 AM
When your cycling mates stay far away from you.

bostondrunk
02-20-2010, 07:49 AM
Keep buying until you find one that fits PERFECT. Then buy 3 pair.
I'm still looking.
Have a air of Bont A-One shoes on the way, keeping fingers crossed.

If your current sidis fit perfect, then only replace them when another pair of sidis catch your eye, if you want more updated buckle system, etc.

jberenyi
02-20-2010, 09:23 AM
When your cycling mates stay far away from you.

Oh pa...lease.

r_mutt
02-20-2010, 09:39 AM
when your wife won't yell at you for coming home with yet another cycling related accessory.

seriously, i've heard that sidi will refurbish your worn shoes- a complimentary service.

if the shoe fits, you must not change it.

soulspinner
02-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Have a pair of Sidis that have seen 5 seasons. They feel so good but at this point are pretty beat up. Theyve outlasted 2 pairs of orthotics, its like my beat up Aliante carbon saddle thats coming apart around the outside, Im so pleased with them I just keep using em. Like possession 1/2 court hoops. Run what works till it doesnt.... ;)

Charles M
02-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Just like your normal shoes...

Sole and upper.

If the sole cranks or starts to flex too much, it's time. depending on model, they have replaceable bumpers...

The uppers can split or tear and if they get so done that they start to createhot spots it's time.

Then there's just wanting new shoes because your old one's are beat up...

I'm a pretty big fan of Sidi. I also like D2 custom....

labratmatt
02-20-2010, 10:24 AM
when your wife won't yell at you for coming home with yet another cycling related accessory.

r_mutt has it right.

Four years is quite a bit in the cycling shoe world. If your shoes are looking worn and you feel like lightening your wallet, go for it.

Kevan
02-20-2010, 11:54 AM
When your toes start clipping in.

Peter P.
02-20-2010, 12:00 PM
It should be obvious; there will be a failure in the stitching, glue, a cracked sole, a torn upper, etc. Otherwise, as long as the shoe and the cleat fit properly, there's no reason to replace anything.

In my case, I replaced my 10 year old shoes because the fuzzy velcro would not adhere to the mating part on the straps. I tried replacing them myself, but the straps wouldn't fit under my sewing machine. By then it was too late, but I could have likely extended their life if I had a shoe repair shop do the work.

djg
02-20-2010, 12:04 PM

She's mostly ok with the nonsense and she never yells at me.

What's scary is when she doesn't say anything at all. That's when the auditory cortex starts running the Geena Davis tape: "Be afraid. Be very afraid."

caleb
02-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Shoes last a long, long time. I had my last set for 25-30k miles. Eventually the velcro gave out.

Sidis should go even longer since they're rebuildable/repairable. That's what makes them the most "sensible" pair of $400 shoes in the world. The limit is often when the upper breaks free from the sole.

If they don't look broke, they probably aren't.

dekindy
02-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Keep buying until you find one that fits PERFECT. Then buy 3 pair.
I'm still looking.
Have a air of Bont A-One shoes on the way, keeping fingers crossed.

If your current sidis fit perfect, then only replace them when another pair of sidis catch your eye, if you want more updated buckle system, etc.

Please give us a short-term and long term report on the Bont's. I would be concerned that they are too stiff for us recreational riders. Since the Diadora Speedracer's are on sale and I like mine so well I cannot decide if I should buy extras as you suggest or go for a heat moldable or custom pair for my next purchase. I tried on the Shimano 300's and they felt so darn stiff I did not think they would be comfortable. Maybe the heat moldable insole would make the difference but I decided to pass. Maybe by the time I need new shoes heat moldable will be available in shoes aimed at the purely recreational market.

Tobias
02-20-2010, 01:11 PM
It should be obvious; there will be a failure in the stitching, glue, a cracked sole, a torn upper, etc. Otherwise, as long as the shoe and the cleat fit properly, there's no reason to replace anything.

+1

My approach also. As long as they work I keep riding them. Having more than one pair helps since I don't fear pushing the limits. If one fails due to wear I just ride another until I get around to buying new ones.

jpw
02-20-2010, 01:32 PM
I have owned a pair of Sidi shoes for 4 years and I was wondering how you know when you should replace them?

I've had my Carnac Greg Lemond shoes for 16 years and I wore them today.

jpw
02-20-2010, 01:33 PM

In my case, I replaced my 10 year old shoes because the fuzzy velcro would not adhere to the mating part on the straps. I tried replacing them myself, but the straps wouldn't fit under my sewing machine. By then it was too late, but I could have likely extended their life if I had a shoe repair shop do the work.

Umm, maybe. One of my upper straps came off and I just stitched it back on. That was several years ago.

pdmtong
02-20-2010, 02:13 PM
upgrade or replace?
I think there is a big difference betwen the way my sidi G5 and 6.6/ergo 2's fit and feel. Saying goodbye to that PITA G5 buckle was worth it alone!

It's too expensive for most of us to "upgrade/replace" every year just to have the latest. and sometimes the latest really isn't a big jump up from where last year's latest was. but every now and again, enought time has passed, that the new "thing" might really have an improvement relative to YOUR needs.

The new specialized shoes are fantastic.

Of course if we all took the path that 4 year old stuff needed to be replaced, we'd all be burning holes in our wallets. If it isn't broke, there isn't a NEED to replace it. But if you WANT to replace it, and save the old for rain/winter, treat yourself. Sometimes the new stuff really is nicer.

r_mutt
02-20-2010, 04:59 PM
The new specialized shoes are fantastic.

i've endured semi-crushed toes for the last 2 1/2 years with sidi's. the toe box is too tight for my feet. although it wasn't painful, it certainly wasn't ideal. specialized seem to be the shape for my foot. how long have you had your s-works? what do you think of the new dual boa system? they feel a bit precious - (sidi's feel more durable).

RPS
02-20-2010, 05:01 PM
I'm not sure I know. :rolleyes:

I have a pair of very old Wellgo MTB shoes I used with SPD cleats for riding our original tandem which are now relegated to trainer service due to poor condition. They are the most comfortable shoes I’ve used and are great for walking around and handling the tandems, but the upper material is ripped in one spot making them look bad enough I don’t like wearing them in public. For trainer use they are still great.

Two years ago my wife and I were in a bike shop and they had an incredible deal on inexpensive Shimano touring-type shoes which are of better quality than the Wellgos. They seemed too good to pass up for the little bit of tandem riding we do so I bought them. Two years later there are still in the box because the old ones still work and feel so comfortable. What’s a little tear anyway?

pdmtong
02-20-2010, 10:07 PM
i've endured semi-crushed toes for the last 2 1/2 years with sidi's. the toe box is too tight for my feet. although it wasn't painful, it certainly wasn't ideal. specialized seem to be the shape for my foot. how long have you had your s-works? what do you think of the new dual boa system? they feel a bit precious - (sidi's feel more durable).

I have a pair of the '09 s-works shoes, single boa. they are roomy, stiff, light and well vented. my feet like them. my feet alsos like the ergo 2's and the 6.6's.

In sidi I had to go up a half size to reconcile the toe box. so, I wear a 44.5 sidi and not a 44. In shimano, specialized, and DMT I wear a 44.

the boa on the s-works works great, but the 2009 you cannot micro adjust it looser, only tighter. if you over tighten, you need ot loosen the whole thing and try again. the dual boa on the 2010 fixes that. you can micro-adjust the boa both forward and backward. i tried one on in a shop and it takes care of that nuance commpletely. makes a great shoe even greater.

I am also using the blue inserts and the wedges (actually the minority valgus). I had to shim both shoes to set them neutral, and then one more valgus on my right to correct my knee. no knee issues at all

I htink speicialized has really come a long way with their shoes in the recent years. very competitve choice nowadays.

they are lighter than the sidi's but I dont know how that will translate to long term durability. I amnot hard on my stuff, so for me it probably isnt an issue

godfrey1112000
02-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Since we are talking shoes, my friend replaced his custom Rocket 7's, the 2009 Web page was active for R-7 but there was no answer to emails or phone calls,

So he ordered D2's, they came in this week and look great, about half the price

http://www.d2shoe.com/2010/rando.html

Is R-7 still around or just taking a long winter off

Still no miles in the month of February, 2010