PDA

View Full Version : David Kirk has a great new site and blog...

Pete Serotta
02-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Kirk Frame Works new site = Take a look and let us know what you think :) :) PETE

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/blog/

n k
02-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks for posting. Lots of good reading and eye candy on the site.

mosca
02-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Nice job Dave and Karin!

Are you retiring the old graphics for good or will that still be an option?

David Kirk
02-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Nice job Dave and Karin!

Are you retiring the old graphics for good or will that still be an option?

Thanks.

The old will be phased out. Those currently in line will have the choice and when they are gone they are gone.

dave

Nautilus
02-19-2010, 06:54 PM
I hate being reminded that I don't have enough money for a Terraplane... :(
Do you think you'll still be making them in 10-15 years or so?

MattTuck
02-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Very exciting!

Change is hard, and it will take some time for me to adjust to the new logo.

I did like the old design, and I'm sure I'll come to like the new design as well.

CNY rider
02-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Congrats to the Kirks.
Very sharp, classy website and I really like the new logo.
Enjoy NAHBS. :banana:

Lifelover
02-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Your website has always been one of the easiest to browse. Not to busy and very well laid out. Whoever is responsible for that, has done a great job.

However, the best thing about it, bar none, is that we can get a glimpse of your entire body of work as an independent builder.

Ahneida Ride
02-19-2010, 11:54 PM
Nice Job Karin !!!!!

paczki
02-20-2010, 06:59 AM
I love the new logo.

acckids
02-20-2010, 07:15 AM
One thing I like about this website is that most of us are polite but sometimes too polite. Being polite and not being open about your opinion is not beneficial to anyone. I admit I'm not good with change but I'm not getting the new graphics. Sometimes change is not good. I'll leave it at that. :)

merlinmurph
02-20-2010, 07:17 AM
I first visited the Kirk site only about 6 months ago and really like it. The new design is still nice and clean, the blog is informative, and the photos are top notch.

Thanks for all the effort, Kirks.

Climb01742
02-20-2010, 07:34 AM
something that i respect a lot about karin and dave is that they had a dream and they made/are making it happen. together. they're building bikes, building a business, building a life, according to how_they_see it. it can't have been easy to pull up stakes from new york and move to montana. it's cool they're making it all happen together. kudos.

zap
02-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Looking good.

Hope to see Karin and Dave along with all the kit in the booth next weekend.

Matt-H
02-20-2010, 07:46 AM
One thing I like about this website is that most of us are polite but sometimes too polite. Being polite and not being open about your opinion is not beneficial to anyone. I admit I'm not good with change but I'm not getting the new graphics. Sometimes change is not good. I'll leave it at that. :)

I honestly think the new site is intuitive, sleek, and an improvement over the former version. I also happen to like the new logo. I am not being polite, this is merely an objective statement. :)

SamIAm
02-20-2010, 07:51 AM
The Kirk website has always set the bar for others in my opinion. It always seems fresh. It's intuitive to browse and the pictures are of high quality. It's where I go when I want to get ideas for upcoming paint jobs. Great photo gallery!

I have been lucky enough to own two of his frames, kind of regret selling the first, in fact tried to buy it back, but wasn't successful. That's ok, I still have one and will have another one day for either me or my wife or both!

Another place that Dave sets the bar is in the accuracy of his target delivery date, none better. He strkes me as very organized in his approach to building.

About the new decals, it's going to take me some time to get used to them I think. I much preferred the old ones, but I will say that a few people that I ride with around here were not enamored with the old ones and in fact were not willing to order a Kirk because of it, which I totally get. Decals matter, probably more for the first time buyer than to the buyer who has experienced the thrill of riding and owning a Kirk.

One thing I like about this website is that most of us are polite but sometimes too polite. Being polite and not being open about your opinion is not beneficial to anyone

You are right on with this statement.

mcteague
02-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Hmmm, I think the new graphics are a step in the wrong direction. I don't own a Kirk, although it would be on the short list were I to go steel, so do not have the old logo burned into memory. Change is not the issue, I just find the new style far less interesting.

Tim

Bob Ross
02-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Seeing the new bikes with the new logo/decals makes me realize now that it was the old logo/decals that I didn't like...not that it stopped me from lusting after a Kirk, but now there's even more impetus to lust! I like the new look.

benb
02-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Love the new logos... very modern.

Kirk007
02-20-2010, 09:22 AM
I agree with Sam I AM that Dave's site sets a high bar. For me it is because the site and now the blog is chock full of information that clearly reflects the thoughtful approach that Dave brings to his craft. This is further evidenced in the photo gallery of raw and painted frames. And it is just a taste of what it is like to deal with Dave and Karin in person.

I also like that Dave is willing to innovate for the sake of performance, and to push the status quo (love the blog entry "do not be afraid."). The terraplane stays are the prime example. I wasn't sold on them esthetically at first, but after having talked with Dave about why and how he constructs them, and why he thought they would be helpful given my type and locations of riding, I signed up without hesitation, not once but twice.

I like the old logo. I will proudly display it on my everyday bike for years to come. I also like the new logo, and I've already figured out some paint schemes with the new logo when it comes time to repaint my travel bike, and I think it is going to look really great. Different than the current look, and different can be very good.

David Kirk
02-23-2010, 10:59 AM
I thought some might be interested in an interview I did with Patrick Brady that is now posted over at Red Kite Prayer. It's a very cool site and worth the time to spend looking around. If you want to read the interview here's a link to part I.

http://redkiteprayer.com/?p=1773

Thanks for reading.

dave

csm
02-23-2010, 11:57 AM
I like the new decals.

spacemen3
02-23-2010, 03:07 PM
I like them, too.

jblande
02-23-2010, 03:21 PM
a great interview too.

Steevo
02-23-2010, 10:03 PM
It takes a lot of courage to change the look & feel of a consumer product. Its a risky endeavor, and I applaud Dave & Karin for taking the leap. I think the change at Kirk Frameworks is a good one. The new decals/logo, along with the matte paint option, give the line a whole new look. As described on the website, the new look modernizes the product.

I really liked the old look - it helped sell me, and I really like this new look. Good work!!

Also, the RKP interview is great reading.

Best of luck with the new graphics.

David Kirk
02-24-2010, 09:30 AM
FWIW part II of the interview is up. It deals a good bit with the DKS so you Hors fans should find it interesting. You can find the interview here - http://redkiteprayer.com/?p=1772

See you at NAHBS!

dave

weaponsgrade
02-25-2010, 01:19 AM
The discussion on the rear suspension is pretty interesting. What's your take on all the different lightweight rear suspensions? Do you see any differences among designs like the Ritchey Plexus, Ibis Silk Ti, Hetchins stays, etc. or do they all pretty much get the same result?