PDA

View Full Version : Power Tap computer help....

rcotto
02-19-2010, 12:24 PM
The display on my PT computer died. Saris does not service the computers. Does anyone know of a company/business that services small digital electronics and may possibly be able to repair the screen?

Thanks,
rcotto

McQueen
02-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Did you replace the battery?

Cr2032 - you can find them at the grocery..

dogdriver
02-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Just in case-- have you replaced battery, scraped contacts clean, dried unit thoroughly (hair dryer set on low heat, or toaster oven at 95-100'F, if you can set it that low-- be careful!)? Failing that, if you have nothing to lose, consider opening it up and looking for broken contacts. Also, plug it into the computer to see if the download feature is still functioning (ie-- is anything functioning?). I have a Garmin 305 that completely dies every few months after a charge. Wait a day or so, charge again, it works great. Go figure-- I'm working on the "loose connection in the power system" theory. When it completely dies, off to Garmin. Enough about me-- another option is to try another charge cycle and see if it responds, or if it shows any sign of life plugged in. Good luck-- at least the control head isn't the expensive part of the system to replace...

Just "spitballing", Chris

40x14
02-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Great advice from dogdriver. I have one with a dead screen but it still records everything and the data can be downloaded.

There's no easy way to open these suckers, I've tried. I dropped my digital LCD scale and have been meaning to take to a russian guy who fixes electronics nearby. If he can fix the scale, I imagine he can fix a powertap too. I'll let you know how it goes if I get there in the next month or so.

rcotto
02-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Thanks for your help everyone!!! I bought this used for $10 and the seller told me he tried a new battery and it still wouldn't display. I did the same and wah-la the display works!!!

40x14...Please keep me in the loop on your electronics guy. I'm sure I'll need his services sooner or later.

rcotto

Spicoli
02-20-2010, 07:28 AM
Sounds dumb but put the battery in upside down. I did not make this one up, the folks at Saris told me to try it when/if the LCD gets scrammbled. They said sometimes it works to put it in upside down for about 15seconds and then put it in correctly. This did not work for me but apparently works for some. They went on to say the LCD is fried if this does not work, still records all data but you have no display on the bike. They should sell you another at cost if you'd like? A $100 + the $10 you spent should still put you ahead of the game for a new one if they still offer that?