PDA

View Full Version : Paint difference

scrooge
03-09-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm trying do the oh so difficult task of picking out paint for my new bike. Could someone be so kind as to describe the differnces between a metallic paint and a candy paint, if any? Or am I wrong in assuming that these are fairly universal terms?
And please don't say "taste."

pale scotsman
03-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Candy is super shiny wet looking paint. Metallic has sparkly flakes and or dots in it to make it look well... uhmm, metallic. How's that?

vaxn8r
03-09-2005, 08:06 PM
No expert here but Candy looks wet, rich and usually an upcharge, like pearls. Metallics are usually cheaper. It's just a look. Go to an auto parts store and look at the paint sample books and you'll get a good feel for it.

David Kirk
03-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Candy paint is simply amny layers of tinted clear coat. It give it a very rich and deep color.

Metallics have a metal flake in the paint to give it a luster.

Make sense?

Dave

scrooge
03-09-2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks.

Serotta PETE
03-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Sandy just recently got a new CSI paint job for his birthday. Kevan gave it to him as a present. "Candy Rustoleum Pink". Quite an eye catcher... :bike:

TriJim
03-10-2005, 05:57 PM
FWIW -- I had the same problem when ordering my Ottrott. After deciding on a Candy Red to White fade, I changed my mind the next day and ordered 3/4 paint with Candy Apple Red. It should be leaving Saratoga Springs this week. Good luck. :)

Jim B.

musgravecycles
03-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Paint is always the hardest thing to choose! I think that Mr. Kirk explained it pretty well, but here's another take. Metallic paint has flakes in it. You can get different 'sizes' of flake, but it might be helpful to think of a bassboat when trying to understand it. Kandy like David said is tinted clear. It's translucent (sp?) so you can see what's underneath it very well. Kandy is a pain to do because of the strict time windows, and it's very very sensitive to overspray. Here's a link to a bike that I did that might help some. To schew things up a bit it's a Kady top-coat with a fine metallic base-coat. In the second picture you can really see 'into' the Kandy, and in the 4th you can really see the metallic. This particular bike has a linear fade around all the tubes, which shows up best in the last 2 pictures.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=6073

Kevan
03-11-2005, 06:47 AM
a slight mix up. It wasn't the bike that was painted, it was Sandy who got refinished. He's been looking like he hangs out at the city morgue lately. I got tired of his blue-gray tint and thought a bright Pepto-Bismol pimpin' was in order. :D

Where is the man anyways? It's not like him to not respond in some feeble manner.

Sandy
03-11-2005, 08:25 AM
I was rising from the dead.

Sandy

Kevan
03-11-2005, 08:59 AM
Who could tell? :D

You've been too quiet, my friend. Hope your riding weekend is looking better than ours up here. More snow in our forecast...

Jack Brunk
03-11-2005, 10:36 AM
Kevan,

Catch a flight and get out here. It's going to be 80 today and tomorrow for the Solvang century.

Jack

mls
03-11-2005, 07:38 PM
what about peals how are they different