PDA

View Full Version : RED LEATHER SADDLE Brooks vs Regal

Smiley
02-19-2010, 09:42 AM
I'd love to find a Brooks in Red and I mean real red leather. How does a Red Regal compare to a B17N any other suggestions as the Bedford is in da house and it SCREAMS for a red saddle :)

palincss
02-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Whatever you do, do NOT get one of those "droop nose" saddles in red. There's a guy who lives in our area who has one on a brown Pegoretti. I can't see it without thinking of canine erections.

flickwet
02-19-2010, 10:05 AM
I personally like my Regals (2 steel, one Ti) as much as my Brooks Swift (Ti), But for the money, its hands down the Regals.

Ken Robb
02-19-2010, 10:06 AM
The Brooks feels better to me than a Regal.

oldpotatoe
02-20-2010, 07:28 AM
I'd love to find a Brooks in Red and I mean real red leather. How does a Red Regal compare to a B17N any other suggestions as the Bedford is in da house and it SCREAMS for a red saddle :)

Brooks means somewhat of a commitment. Most decent LBS have a test ride program for saddles..try it on a couple of rides, exchange it if it doesn't 'work', but Brooks needs a breakin period that will see it not looking new, if after that you don't like it.

I have tried 3..Swift, B-17 narrow and Swallow and none of them worked for me. Easy to sell tho.

Ray
02-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Brooks means somewhat of a commitment. Most decent LBS have a test ride program for saddles..try it on a couple of rides, exchange it if it doesn't 'work', but Brooks needs a breakin period that will see it not looking new, if after that you don't like it.

I have tried 3..Swift, B-17 narrow and Swallow and none of them worked for me. Easy to sell tho.
Smiley, the only way to know if you're gonna like a regal is to try one. They're not ALL that different than a Brooks Pro or Team pro - kind of similar profile and width - both hard as a rock. But the Brooks will break in and the Regal won't, which isn't an endorsement of either - I tend not to like Brooks any more after they break in. I don't know if Brooks still makes a red saddle - I think they used to but it wasn't the same bright red as the Regal - it was much darker. And Brooks generally don't stay the same color they started out. Regals probably will stay pretty close. I think they make an Aliante in red too, which feels more to me like a broken in Brooks than any other plastic saddle out there. It does have that dip in it though - personal taste on that one.

Sounds like you should try the Regal if you really want a red saddle. Whenever I've had a new bike that was nice to look at, I'd jump through hoops to get it to look right. That would usually last about half a dozen rides, then I'd put all the stuff back on that I knew WORKED for me, and I'd quickly forget about the looks. But if you like the Regal, you come out ahead.

-Ray

CNY rider
02-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Whenever I've had a new bike that was nice to look at, I'd jump through hoops to get it to look right. That would usually last about half a dozen rides, then I'd put all the stuff back on that I knew WORKED for me, and I'd quickly forget about the looks. But if you like the Regal, you come out ahead.

-Ray

Pretty funny observation and now that I think about it, absolutely true for me as well.

TMB
02-20-2010, 03:07 PM

There are Red Brooks' around.

Brooks did that run of Swifts and Team Pros in various colours celebrating International Bicycle Polo.

They are on Chrome rails rather than Ti but beautiful.

I picked up one of the Navy Blue ones for one of my bikes and have been eyeing a red one as well.

palincss
02-20-2010, 03:15 PM
On the other hand, there's nothing quite as traditional as a black Brooks. And black goes with everything.

Ken Robb
02-20-2010, 03:31 PM
And black goes with everything.

Just like BEER. :beer:

Ahneida Ride
02-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Smiley's wrap .....

It's a bit more red then the picture indicates.

Pete Serotta
02-20-2010, 05:21 PM
I will loan you a Regal to try,,,,PETE

Ahneida Ride
02-20-2010, 05:24 PM
http://www.selleanatomica.com/images/Img4172.jpg

fourflys
02-20-2010, 05:25 PM
The Brooks feels better to me than a Regal.

ditto for me.... (and I had the Red Regal...)

TMB
02-20-2010, 05:38 PM
I have 2 of the Red ones.

I have never found them as comfortable as the black ones with the textured cover.

No idea why, but.

The Brooks Swift keeps my bits happy.

What's the story on the Un-Anatomica's ? Anyone use them?