PDA

View Full Version : OT: Portland OR neighborhoods

Kirk007
02-18-2010, 10:22 AM
For current or former Portland residents. For someone who might relocate as a fifty something couple with kid on the way out the door and strong interest in in-city neighborhoods with walkable amenities, looking to downsize to a smaller place, an interest in green sustainable living. east and quick access to the airport and, most importantly good cycling access through the City and to the countryside, what neighborhoods would you recommend?

We've looked at Sellewood and West Moreland, the Hawthorne neighborhoods and are increasingly interested in the area around Alberta Parks as we have found an interesting green builder doing in-fill redevelopment. Thoughts?

Grazie mille...

William
02-18-2010, 10:51 AM
I was always partial to the NW section of Portland due to it's proximity to downtown, Forest Park, and the easy climb out to Skyline & Hwy 30 to get out into cycling country.

NW 23rd is sort of hipster but fun.

William

Wanker
02-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Check out the Peidmont, Concordia, Kennedy School and Overlook areas as well. Still very accessable to the many beautiful road climbing hills of Skyline Blvd. NW Portland is excellent, but if you are under some home price constraints - assuming you want a detached home and not a condo - the NW area is pricey. You'll find a much greater selection of affordable homes in the close-in north, northeast and southeast areas of Portland.
If you are in need of an honest and experienced real estate broker that is very familiar with Portland Metro, feel free to contact me (shameless plug). Even if you are not in need of a broker, I know all the greatest bicycle routes of both Multnomah and Washington counties and I would be happy to enlighten you.
wank

Climb01742
02-21-2010, 07:21 AM
in portland these days, what's the range of "affordable"? i grew up on the west side of the west hills (west sylvan grade school+lincoln high). i was sorta shocked went i went back for a visit two years ago to see how much that area and beaverton had grown/developed. i couldn't quite see living_there_again, but moving back to portland has always been in the back of my mind. if it's possible to give a ballpark or range (figure maybe 2000-2500 sq feet) what goes for "affordable"? much appreciated. :beer:

93legendti
02-21-2010, 07:24 AM
John, aka, Shinomaster, lives in Portland. Maybe he will chime in, or you could try pm'ing him...

pdxmech13
02-21-2010, 10:58 AM
I just bought my first home in Portland. Due to me being poor we settled for a home in $250,00 range in a N. Portland neighborhood. It"s really hard to get into a well established area and home of around 1500 sqft. for less than $300,000. Portland has many, many great neighborhoods. I would recommend Ne Portland as the best in terms of walkability, Highway access, bike lanes/routes great eating and friendly people.

Here's my list of most desireable
Irvington
Concordia
Alemda
Eliot

Happy hunting and enjoy
Nick.

BTW Check out Zillow.com as its a good quick refernce for early shopping.

Wanker
02-21-2010, 02:46 PM
in portland these days, what's the range of "affordable"? i grew up on the west side of the west hills (west sylvan grade school+lincoln high). i was sorta shocked went i went back for a visit two years ago to see how much that area and beaverton had grown/developed. i couldn't quite see living_there_again, but moving back to portland has always been in the back of my mind. if it's possible to give a ballpark or range (figure maybe 2000-2500 sq feet) what goes for "affordable"? much appreciated. :beer:

"Affordable" is a relative term, for sure. For a "good condition home" in the west hills in the Lincoln High School district that is 2000 to 2500 s.f., one could expect to see a starting price of $375,000, but rapidly climb in price from there. The Wilson High Scholl district has more options available in the price range of $350k to $450k. Both scenarios depend upon neighborhood, # of bedrooms, updates, etc. Multnomah county property taxes are not very kind and can be an eye opener for out of towners.

toasttoast
02-21-2010, 02:59 PM
We've looked at Sellewood and West Moreland, the Hawthorne neighborhoods and are increasingly interested in the area around Alberta Parks as we have found an interesting green builder doing in-fill redevelopment. Thoughts

i was born and raised right in this area, moved to philly for two years, and recently came back to portland. i love the area.

if you don't mind going a little further east, you can cut your home cost in third or so by looking in the woodstock or ardenwald areas. also, anywhere between powell and woodstock (N-S) and 26th and 39th (E-W) will be enjoyable and relatively affordable.

case in point: i was raised in my parents' home, a nice 1910s building surrounded by other, newer and uglier homes on a somewhat busy street (just two lanes, but still). when i moved out, they sold that home with a TON of renovations for $300K and moved exactly one mile west, into eastmoreland, into a home that was in need of work and of about the same size for $800k or so.

Kirk007
02-22-2010, 10:15 AM
thanks everyone! Wanker I may be giving you a call.

Climb - affordable is in the eyes of the beholder no, but for example, in Northeast there's a builder doing green infill (not leeds certified but not bad and willing to work with potential buyers to up the quotient with solar etc). We are going to check out some of the offerings but they look quite nice and range from $379-499. See http://www.bridgecityinc.com/listings.php?type=singlefamily. The ones at the high end are very large, and two current under construction projects will be build with a legal accessory dwelling unit that can be rented out or used for kids who may boomerang back home for awhile. There is also a decent inventory of craftsmen bungalows etc in what appear to be nice neighborhoods in NE and SE that can be had for $350-450. This is giving us hope that we can find or even have built a right sized place that offers what we are looking for at what would be, for us, a reasonable price (assuming the Eugene market hasn't fallen too much beyond what we are thinking).

Climb01742
02-22-2010, 11:48 AM
thanks everyone! Wanker I may be giving you a call.

Climb - affordable is in the eyes of the beholder no, but for example, in Northeast there's a builder doing green infill (not leeds certified but not bad and willing to work with potential buyers to up the quotient with solar etc). We are going to check out some of the offerings but they look quite nice and range from $379-499. See http://www.bridgecityinc.com/listings.php?type=singlefamily. The ones at the high end are very large, and two current under construction projects will be build with a legal accessory dwelling unit that can be rented out or used for kids who may boomerang back home for awhile. There is also a decent inventory of craftsmen bungalows etc in what appear to be nice neighborhoods in NE and SE that can be had for $350-450. This is giving us hope that we can find or even have built a right sized place that offers what we are looking for at what would be, for us, a reasonable price (assuming the Eugene market hasn't fallen too much beyond what we are thinking).

kirk, thanks a ton for the link and info. really intriguing. i don't know if it will ever work out, but getting back to oregon someday would be nice. i just miss the west and the outdoor vibe. i wish you the best of luck in your search/move.

dd74
02-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Good thread. Sometimes I think of packing up the family and leaving L.A. and CA entirely. Portland is one place of interest. :beer:

Climb01742
02-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Good thread. Sometimes I think of packing up the family and leaving L.A. and CA entirely. Portland is one place of interest. :beer:

years and years ago, when i was a kid in oregon, there was a entire (semi-humorous) campaign about convincing californians who came north to bypass oregon and go straight to seattle and washington state. there's always been a funny relationship between oregon and CA.

but your point is true: portland is well worth considering.

Ozz
02-22-2010, 03:20 PM
years and years ago, when i was a kid in oregon, there was a entire (semi-humorous) campaign about convincing californians who came north to bypass oregon and go straight to seattle and washington state. there's always been a funny relationship between oregon and CA.

but your point is true: portland is well worth considering.
Yes, all those californian need to stop in OR and discover what a wonderful place it is.....no need to continue further north.

:p

:beer:

William
02-22-2010, 03:39 PM

Word of advice:

Ditch the Cali plate ASAP! (I'm half kidding,and half not.) :)

...there's always been a funny relationship between oregon and CA.

It was alive and well when I lived there. :bike: :)

William

dd74
02-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Word of advice:

Ditch the Cali plate ASAP! (I'm half kidding,and half not.) :)

I'm willing to ditch Cali entirely. The family isn't married to this state. As for work, I figure we could easily do what we do here up there.

alembical
02-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Feel free to PM me with any specific questions too. I have lived here since 1998. Lots of great little areas, but sounds like you are on the right track. Definitely takes some to time to find not only the right area, but the right house within that area. $350,000 will buy a nice house in some areas, and not even the smallest dump of a home in some other areas.

If money is not much of an issue, NW is hard to beat. I personally prefer the feel of NE though. I lived in SE for 3 years and Lake Oswego before that, and don't see myself living on the South side again.

JeffS
02-23-2010, 11:29 AM
We've been contemplating a move to the NW lately. Sounds like I would need to plan on renting while I decipher the neighborhoods.

alembical
02-23-2010, 01:50 PM
We've been contemplating a move to the NW lately. Sounds like I would need to plan on renting while I decipher the neighborhoods.

Definitely what I would recommend. Get to know the individual areas, they each have their own pluses and minuses... and give you some time to find the best deal available.