PDA

View Full Version : Stretching stubborn hamstrings?

madbiker
03-09-2005, 03:20 PM
Any good stretching techniques/tricks for getting super super super tight hamstrings to stretch out?! Help!

Bradford
03-09-2005, 03:32 PM
My hamstrings are too short for my body, so this has always been a problem for me.

A doctor from the Boston Children's Hospital Sports Medicine Clininc gave me this one when I was in high school. Try laying against a wall with your body on the ground, your butt as close to the wall as you can get it, and your legs straight up the wall, forming a kind of L. If you are really tight, this will be tough to do, but it will help you apply a nice long stretch. If you eventually stretch them out to a more normal length, this becomes pretty easy.

The good news is that cycling keeps my hamstrings streatched out much better than anything I've done before. It is one of the reasons I ride.

bulliedawg
03-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Any good stretching techniques/tricks for getting super super super tight hamstrings to stretch out?! Help!

It was asked in a different thread "Why do you come here?" Well, the reason I come here is because of all the great things I learn. A few months ago someone was wanting to learn more about stretching their IT bands, and another person suggested the book "Stretching" by Bob Anderson. My wife gave it to me for Valentine's Day, and following its techniques has greatly increased my hip flexibility in less than a month. The same goes for your hamstrings.

bostondrunk
03-09-2005, 03:49 PM
It was asked in a different thread "Why do you come here?" Well, the reason I come here is because of all the great things I learn. A few months ago someone was wanting to learn more about stretching their IT bands, and another person suggested the book "Stretching" by Bob Anderson. My wife gave it to me for Valentine's Day, and following its techniques has greatly increased my hip flexibility in less than a month. The same goes for your hamstrings.

Thanks, I'll check the book out. I too have wicked probs with dis, and a leg length discrepency. I feel ya pain. You can also try wrapping a towel around your foot while laying on your back and pulling the leg back.

BumpyintheBurgh
03-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Find an inside doorway or archway in your house. I use my bedroom walkin closet door. Open the Door. Lay down on the floor on your back and position your hips in the center of the arch. Slide your body fore or aft so that you can comfortably raise your leg and position your heel & leg against the door frame. Apply pressure and adjust hip position to determine the force of stretch of your hamstring. Then switch to the other leg & side.
Doing the stretch this way is good for people who have low back problems and are uncomfortable doing the standing or seated hamstring stretches because it doesn't put any pressure on your back. And if you get tired of stretching you can just roll over and take a nap.

Idris Icabod
03-09-2005, 04:45 PM
I do the stretch that Bradford suggests every night on the recommendation of my sports physio. I too have very tight hamstrings. To add a bit more detail, do each leg 5 times and stretch for 1 minute per stretch. I have Anderson's book as well, but the physio told me to avoid doing the touching the toes whilst stood up stretch. I actually do that stretch during the day at work (I have a mostly standing up kind of job - scientist, stretch out by the fume hood). To show you how bad I was, I could touch about half way on my shins a few months ago but can now get down and touch my toes. If I miss stretching for a few days my hamstrings do tighten up a lot, not as bad as the old days but it takes a few of the leg against wall stretches to get the flex back. And to end this story, teh knee pain that I went to the physio to address is now gone with my improved flexibility. I am still pretty slow on the bike however.

Bradford
03-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Idris Icabod,

It is a little scary, but it sounds like we have the same hamstrings. When I'm tight, I can barely get half way down my shins. I've been riding a lot lately, so I'm down to my toes now.

I've been plagued with bad knees since high school, which got much better after I started cycling. I credit cycling with half and the stretching that came with cycling with the other.

OldDog
03-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Idris Icabod,

It is a little scary, but it sounds like we have the same hamstrings.

A Brotherhood of Forumites, connected by the same hamstrings.

What a bunch of hams.

OK - I'm otta here...

chrisroph
03-09-2005, 11:04 PM
This was shown to me by my PT. Have someone help as follows. Lie on the floor on your back. Have the person lift one of your legs and put it on their shoulder and move your leg towards your head giving your ham a good long stretch, on the order of 30 sec. Then, they should brace the leg and you should flex the ham firmly trying to push them away from you. Hold your flex and work hard for 10-15 seconds. Repeat. Your ham will now stretch farther. Flex 3 times. Your hams will now be longer than before you started. Many people's low back pain will disappear.

arsegas
03-10-2005, 12:32 AM
My hamstrings are also super-tight and/or super-short. They have improved dramatically since I started cycling, but they are still tight.

I primarily use two techniques to stretch my hams:
1) My favorite is the stretch chrisroph mentioned. I focus on keeping the toes back, knees straight and pushing out the heel. If you don't have someone available to assist, I've also seen a similar hamstring stretch in yoga videos where you lie on your back and pull both ends of an elastic band stretched across the ball of your outstretched foot.
2) Sit with one foot straight and one bent, sit bone out. Then reach with opposite arm toward the outstretched foot.

Somewhat related...I have one bum ankle, which makes all sorts of clicking noises and was constantly sore after any activity. My doctor suggested tracing the alphabet with my foot, and that's really helped loosen and strengthen that ankle.

- Eric

Climb01742
03-10-2005, 04:14 AM
some great stretches here. i'd also consider the other half of the equation: strengthening. tight muscles become weak muscles. which can lead to imbalances. particularly for cyclists. riding employs quads, butt, hips, but not much of the hammy, or at least far less. hamstring curls at the gym are good. mixing in some running would also work the hammies. part of what makes yoga classes so great is that they work on both your flexibility and your strength...very few activities do both. finally, drink water! under-hydrated muscles loose their suppleness. good luck. done diligently, stretching really helps.

SGP
03-10-2005, 06:14 AM
all your muscles are inter-connected and yoga addresses the whole system.

Lifelover
03-10-2005, 07:13 AM
This was shown to me by my PT. Have someone help as follows. Lie on the floor on your back. Have the person lift one of your legs and put it on their shoulder and move your leg towards your head giving your ham a good long stretch, on the order of 30 sec. Then, they should brace the leg and you should flex the ham firmly trying to push them away from you. Hold your flex and work hard for 10-15 seconds. Repeat. Your ham will now stretch farther. Flex 3 times. Your hams will now be longer than before you started. Many people's low back pain will disappear.

If you don't have a willing partner use a belt or something to put around the bottom of your foot and pull your leg up with your hands.

I have just started stretching my Hams every night and it really does seem to help.

zap
03-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Good points Climb.

I thought my hamstrings were tight. After reading some of these posts, I guess I'm doing pretty well.

Another good workout is to use a Roman Chair to work the lower back muscles. Hamstrings will also get a workout.