PDA

View Full Version : 2010 website?

jpw
02-18-2010, 07:25 AM
Any update on when the 2010 website will be published?
It's nearly March :rolleyes:

Pete Serotta
02-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Because of some technical glitches that are the result of advanced/new function we are adding, the date for new Serotta Site to come online is the end of March,

For product questions please contact your dealer or for customer service Lindsey@serotta.com, for product support max@serotta.com or for things that do not fall in either Pete@serotta.com.

jeo99
02-23-2010, 12:45 PM
I guess this is good news!
Concerns:
a) After some personnel changes
b) The lack of website updates
c) Referring Serotta steel frame repair to other sites
d) Aquiring another company just before the economic downturn

Many of us had the thought Serotta was going out of business.
:confused:

dave thompson
02-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Concerns:

Many? You're the first I've heard to voice that. Serotta has never been terribly punctual regarding its website, for years. They've also been very forward looking with regards to acquisitions and alliances.

jeo99
02-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Dave,
Email sent as your PM box is full.

Cheers!
:crap:

jpw
02-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Concerns:

What is this 'c' steel frame reference?

oldpotatoe
02-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Concerns:

That rumor has actually been around here for a while. Time will tell. One local shop is great guns Serotta, the other 'may' not carry them for 2010. Something about test ride bicycle sales to dealers or sumthin'.

Pete Serotta
02-23-2010, 06:16 PM
I do not have all the answers nor all the questions... The past 18 months has been difficult for ALL luxury goods providers..

-PORSCH down 30%, as BMW, Mercedes, and how about US car companies
-Back Logs for custom everything is less than 18 months ago
-Bike stores and manufacturers have closed or reduced staff

a- Bike industry has always had a high turnover in personnel. SEROTTA included

b.- Serotta has nver maximized the advantage or timeliness of their WEB site.. They still find the forum though

c. - this is a new one......Serotta does not build lugged frames so yes some repairs have been referred to a past Serotta employee in the same town as Serotta

d. - The Reynolds forks plant was going off shore or was to be shut down...this was going to happen if Serotta did nothing, We are not talking 100s of people. In fact, I think there were 4 people (Mike Lopez the lead design guy was one of them). They are now Serotta employees.

Yes times have been challenging but I am at a loss of what the message is that you are wanting to convey on the forum.

Hope this helps, or if you want to ask Ben personally, please stop by and see him at the show this weekend in RICHMOND

pete

Concerns:

dekindy
02-23-2010, 09:47 PM
I notice that the website is on vBulletin version 3.0.7 which is way out of date. Are they going to bring it up to the latest updated Level 3 version or are they going to jump to the brand new version 4? Roadbikereview has been on Level 4 for a few months, I am not quite sure how long. It is slowly getting the bugs worked out. For instance, I could not view the jump navigation function which was very annoying since they have several forums that I like to review. That is working now but it took quite awhile. I think it was there and functional but formatting kept it from being visible on the screen so it could not be used.

jeo99
02-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Pete,
Thanks for the information and update. First, let me say I am not "trying to convey any message". I was simply pointing out facts which you verified. However I am somewhat concerned. I collect Serotta's and now own 21. (Ben is aware) As you can see I am a buyer by trade. As a buyer your list/explanation are issues a buyer picks up on when a company struggles. You are an IT consultant, why is the webpage taking so long to update?

:beer:

ckamp
02-23-2010, 11:02 PM
I collect Serotta's and now own 21

Thats lots, You should make a image gallery!

roguedog
02-24-2010, 12:45 AM
I notice that the website is on vBulletin version 3.0.7 which is way out of date. Are they going to bring it up to the latest updated Level 3 version or are they going to jump to the brand new version 4? Roadbikereview has been on Level 4 for a few months, I am not quite sure how long. It is slowly getting the bugs worked out. For instance, I could not view the jump navigation function which was very annoying since they have several forums that I like to review. That is working now but it took quite awhile. I think it was there and functional but formatting kept it from being visible on the screen so it could not be used.

I dunno.. I'm not so sure I'm hip on the new look for the forums (is this 4.x?). They take up a lot of screen space. Where I used to be able to see like 10 threads, in the new version I can only see like 6. I found it kinda annoying, all those huge icons on the left. My 2 cents...

Pete Serotta
02-24-2010, 06:09 AM
Ben did not want me to manage or do the Serotta.COM site. He has hired various firms in the past to do the technical and content upgrades.

Suggestions and recommendations were made for there are some very smart folks here and we could have done it.

In regard to FORUM level...Keith A and I have been looking at that. WE need to come up a few levels, but my past experience does not make me keen to come up to the latest level. (In IT that is sometimes called the bleeding edge). When we review upgrades - first thing to look at are what business or competitive advantage does it provide? If none or very little than question becomes why upgrade.

Pete,
Thanks for the information and update. First, let me say I am not "trying to convey any message". I was simply pointing out facts which you verified. However I am somewhat concerned. I collect Serotta's and now own 21. (Ben is aware) As you can see I am a buyer by trade. As a buyer your list/explanation are issues a buyer picks up on when a company struggles. You are an IT consultant, why is the webpage taking so long to update?

:beer:

dave thompson
02-24-2010, 09:03 AM
<snipped>.......In regard to FORUM level...Keith A and I have been looking at that. WE need to come up a few levels, but my past experience does not make me keen to come up to the latest level. (In IT that is sometimes called the bleeding edge). When we review upgrades - first thing to look at are what business or competitive advantage does it provide? If none or very little than question becomes why upgrade.
I agree, The 'new' upgrades that several other forums have implemented have been problematic for both the admin and the users. The 'look and feel' of the new stuff, IMO, is quite bad; hard to read on a big computer monitor and almost impossible to read on a netbook and mobile device.

Charles M
02-24-2010, 09:31 AM
I know a couple of people that own forums for a few major brands that got KILLED by putting too much weight on the thought of "new" meaning "better".

They simply blew up their audience by looking to hard at available tech instead of asking what was and wasnt working for their audience.

This place [serotta boards] works simply and simply works.

As for the web site, I've always believed that need should drive revision. New software versions really mean squat relative to the importance of simply keeping information up to date.

I would rather see accurate information in an easy to navigate format than something snazzy and cutting edge but useless.

And frankly I would hope that the financial and brand management priorities are on product, dealer and customer support more than creating a new cyber-face.

Beauty is only skin (or screen) deep... Making sure the house is in order during tough financial times should be the priority.

dekindy
02-24-2010, 09:31 AM
I agree, The 'new' upgrades that several other forums have implemented have been problematic for both the admin and the users. The 'look and feel' of the new stuff, IMO, is quite bad; hard to read on a big computer monitor and almost impossible to read on a netbook and mobile device.

My partners and I are implementing a financial services forum utilizing vBulletin. Bbased upon my use of the new version and advice from IT, we have decided to defer implementing it until the bugs are out. They do seem to be making progress but it is slow.

flickwet
02-26-2010, 10:13 AM
To try to please me I love you just the way you are", really I do. The site across the hall...I can't stand it visually obnoxious. And I like the web site too, easy to read information is my desire, not cartoons and fancy maroo.

jpw
02-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Thats lots, You should make a image gallery!

He should buy the company :rolleyes: :beer:

jpw
02-26-2010, 04:10 PM
The economy is not good and the bike biz is suffering. So, should Serotta stop offering 'dream' bikes and start offering 'real' bikes and in doing so take a slice of the rando/ commuter/ tourer market? Too many 'hot' race bikes (I like them, but too many models and variants) that not enough real cycling cyclists would want to buy IMHO. :) :beer: