PDA

View Full Version : Good deal for Wheels (Pedal Force Group Buy)?

NRRider
02-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Thinking about these wheels. They seem to have decent rims and spokes, decent weight (the regular 2.4 version, not the 2.4L, since I'm a bit over 200 pounds), and the price ($360 if it's over 20 units). Unsure about the hubs.

What do you think?

http://pedalforce.com/online/product_info.php?products_id=16623

texbike
02-18-2010, 06:37 AM
If you like those, how about these:

www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=208 ?

They seem very similar in specification and the price is much better for a single set.

Texbike

oldpotatoe
02-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Thinking about these wheels. They seem to have decent rims and spokes, decent weight (the regular 2.4 version, not the 2.4L, since I'm a bit over 200 pounds), and the price ($360 if it's over 20 units). Unsure about the hubs.

What do you think?

http://pedalforce.com/online/product_info.php?products_id=16623

Or have your local bike shop build you a set with 105 hubs, Velocity rims and DT spokes...'bout the same price. No need to buy 20 units either.

NRRider
02-18-2010, 08:34 AM
If you like those, how about these:

www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=208 ?

They seem very similar in specification and the price is much better for a single set.

Texbike

The PF group buy wheels come with Niobium rims, which I thought were pretty stout for a lightweight rim. Also the rear has 32 spokes, which is what I was looking for given my weight. The BWW wheel ad actually specifies that they are not recommended for riders over 195 lbs.

djg
02-18-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't know what they are. At 360-400 bucks for an alloy rim and unknown hub . . . well, they might be really nice wheels but there are all sorts of things you can get with proven components from known builders -- that's true from individual builders and it's true with factory wheels (maybe especially true with factory or "boutique" wheels on sale in the dead of winter). I'm not sure I see the attraction.

akatsuki
02-18-2010, 03:34 PM
My Soul wheels have been solid.

pjmsj21
02-19-2010, 02:22 PM
You might want to consider Velocity Helios.....a relatively modest priced $439 wheelset that comes in the 1500ish gram range. The savings is probably in the hubs as the rims are Aeroheads and they use good spokes. But I would suspect that Velocity would stand behind them as I have had great response from Velocity whenever I contacted them. Velocity also indicated that the Helios would work for my offseason weight of 195lbs with no problem.