PDA

View Full Version : Torelli Steel Frames?

fourflys
02-17-2010, 07:06 PM
I did a search and didn't find much that was recent...

Anyone have any experience with Torelli steel from the last few years? The Corsa Strada looks really nice and seems to be a great value...

Hopefully, I'll get some good replies... not like my last thread across the hall, amazing how some can be...

Thanks!

Kane
02-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Torelli steel bikes are very nice.

My brother's high end one is about five years old and made by Mondonico. The newer ones are tig welded and made by I don't know who. I looked at one of the steel tig weld bikes last week and frankly it looks like a steel bike. I like the look, but if I was buying a steel bike, I would want lugs for the looks, carbon for weight and used for the price. Seriously, Bill has been in the business a long time and he has a great reputation. I dealt with him a little and I think he runs a good company with good value for his products.

Good luck.

Kane

oldpotatoe
02-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Torelli steel bikes are very nice.

My brother's high end one is about five years old and made by Mondonico. The newer ones are tig welded and made by I don't know who. I looked at one of the steel tig weld bikes last week and frankly it looks like a steel bike. I like the look, but if I was buying a steel bike, I would want lugs for the looks, carbon for weight and used for the price. Seriously, Bill has been in the business a long time and he has a great reputation. I dealt with him a little and I think he runs a good company with good value for his products.

Good luck.

Kane

Actually Bill sold the company a few years ago and the new owner moved it to West Hollywood from Camarillo. Torelli and Mondonico frames are nice frames, made well, painted in SoCal. Antonio Mondonico does not build for Torelli any more(the Corsa Strada wasn't made by Antonio but the Countach was) but all the steel frames are indeed made in Italy.

Velosmith
02-18-2010, 08:56 AM
I have one of the last lugged frames made by Senior Mondonico. It's typical Italian geometry that is rock solid in the descents and rides superb and corners very neutral. As a 56cm frame it built up just under 19 lbs.

chuckred
02-18-2010, 09:57 AM
from 1999 - Mondonico I suppose.

It's my winter bike and I've shipped it to do a multiple day ride in Washington State.

Lugged steel, very smooth, very comfortable.

I love my carbon Ridley, but I expect it will be replaced someday, while the Torelli will hang around!

fourflys
02-18-2010, 09:57 AM
thanks all, I'm really leaning towards one of these... It sounds like they are really well made frames that ride very nice... I really like the classic look they have as well...

I'll probably go with Banning's Bikes up in Fullerton if I go with a Torelli, they really seem to know what they're doing when it comes to fit and such... Any dealings with them?

Anyone else?

Chris

fourflys
02-25-2010, 02:13 PM
OK, one more bump for this...

I can't believe hardly anyone has any info on these... maybe I don't want one and should go with Gunnar...

soupless
02-25-2010, 03:19 PM
Bill McGann is a pretty awesome guy. I think that's his name. They are great bikes. Way sexier than a gunnar. Can't go wrong.

Love the countach and the nitro expresss.

r_mutt
02-25-2010, 03:25 PM
get the lugged torelli. it will be your go-to bike!

i had a mondonico and it was a sweet, sweet, ride.

fiamme red
02-25-2010, 03:32 PM
get the lugged torelli. it will be your go-to bike!They're all TIG-welded now.

dd74
02-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Actually Bill sold the company a few years ago and the new owner moved it to West Hollywood from Camarillo. Torelli and Mondonico frames are nice frames, made well, painted in SoCal. Antonio Mondonico does not build for Torelli any more(the Corsa Strada wasn't made by Antonio but the Countach was) but all the steel frames are indeed made in Italy.
Actually, it's North Hollywood (--from Google: 10717 West Chandler Boulevard, North Hollywood - (818) 508-0216), but as I recall, I don't think they're open to the public.

Casa Torelli Imports seems to be the Santa Monica showroom, at 2932 Wilshire Boulevard, Santa Monica - (310) 828-1640.

They're very sweet bikes, IMO.

chuckred
02-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Bill McGann is a pretty awesome guy. I think that's his name. They are great bikes. Way sexier than a gunnar. Can't go wrong.

Love the countach and the nitro expresss.

bought the Torelli without having test riding, but my memory is that the Gunnar didn't stick out in my mind, but the Torelli is a smooth, nice, Italian steel bike...

But, I don't think you'd go wrong with a Gunnar either...

dd74
02-25-2010, 05:07 PM
The Gunnar Roadie is a nice bicycle as well. If it were me, it would come down to if I wanted a sloping TT or classic geometry. Otherwise, I think both frames are fairly evenly matched.

fourflys
02-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks all

fatallightning
02-25-2010, 06:45 PM
debernardi also some smartly priced steel models, including lugged ones.
http://www.smartcycles.com/zar/db_sl_white_decor_186_187.jpg

http://www.smartcycles.com/zar/db_thron_laser_blue.jpg

cmg
02-26-2010, 09:17 AM
thread drift,
Check out the frame closeout page at Smart cycles they have some steel frames. the DeBernardi photos triggered a memory. http://www.smartcycles.com/frame_closeouts_list.htm