PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Deprivation

BCS
02-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Ultra riders/racers, share your strategy to combat sleepiness. As my season progresses beyond 400K distance, I find the biggest obstacle is lack of sleep. (and a sore taint :D ). There have been times on the bike where I think I may have briefly fallen asleep. Thankfully, no crashes. I typically sleep 6-7 hours per night and have no issues sleepiness at work. No narcolepsy, etc.

I have tried to wean myself off caffeine and then only use it during events but I was not successful. The headache from withdrawl was rough. No-Doz doesn't really work for me. Should I plan brief naps every X miles or hours?? What has worked for you?

Volant
02-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Have triplets.......great training!

false_Aest
02-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Have you tried no caffeine for 36-48 hours?

I've never been able to cut out caffeine completely from my life but 2 days before a race I have my last cup-o-joe and then slam a redbull 30 min before the gun goes off. Just a thought.

Peter B
02-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Try to get good sleep in the weeks leading up to the 400, 600 and 1200k distances. If you can tolerate the withdrawl for 60 days or so, it does really add to the kick from caffeine when you need it.

I've had good luck with Stay Alert caffeine gum. About 100 mg caffeine per chew, it absorbs sublingually and gives the boost right now, not 45 minutes down the road when you hit the controle and REALLY want to sleep.

And if all else fails, enjoy the hallucinations!

R2D2
02-18-2010, 04:42 AM
At 400K and up it can be very difficult to actually sleep as the body is totaly wired. But it is good to just relax the mind for a good 4 hours or so. You may never actually fall asleep.

goonster
02-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Get good sleep before the event; don't start tired.

That sounds simple, but with many events starting in the pre-dawn hours on Saturday, riders work a full day Friday, spend the evening packing/prepping gear, driving to the start, etc. I every event where staying awake became a real problem for me, I started the ride already sleep deprived. If the event, and your safety, is important to you, take Friday off.

Bring caffeine tablets. Use them if you need them.