PDA

View Full Version : Help a good cause...bid on a Forum Banana!

William
03-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Bid for a good cause.

You like Serotta.
You like the forum.
You like Bananas.

Now you just need something dazzling to remind you of all three. Here you are. A one of a kind piece of glass art from Z Glass Studios. Any money raised from the sale of this piece will be donated to the Davis Phinney Foundation. I hope that there will be some interest so we can raise a little cash for a good cause.

Please use even dollar amounts. Bidding starts at $10,000...ok, ok, how about $10.00

Good luck,

William

PS: Maybe Serotta James could make this thread a sticky at least until Monday?

Upright: 4" x 6"x 3/8" Starphire Crystal
Base: 5" x 5" x 3/8" Beveled Starphire Crystal
Technique: Etched/carved & Color filled artwork

Too Tall
03-09-2005, 01:14 PM
$20 dallah.

e-RICHIE
03-09-2005, 01:15 PM
bid?
bid where?

William
03-09-2005, 01:17 PM
bid?
bid where?

Just call it out. I can't see you wiggle your nose. ;)

William

Ahneida Ride
03-09-2005, 01:42 PM
20 Federal Reserve Notes.

spiderman
03-09-2005, 02:49 PM
$20.01 with a maximum bid of $100.00
...now remember this is a silent auction...
...and confidential...
and no fair making me bid against myself!

Dekonick
03-09-2005, 04:17 PM
Ill bid $99.99 ........ :rolleyes:

seriously - can you make more?

Perhaps a few of us might buy em if you fix a price?

looks great BTW

William
03-10-2005, 05:24 AM
can you make more?

Perhaps a few of us might buy em if you fix a price?

looks great BTW

Thanks. Yes, I could work out a price point for making some more BUT, I would likely need to hammer out a few details with Mr. Serotta & Co. before I moved forward with it. :beer:

William

BTW, It's hard to tell by looking at the forum logo, but it's actually carved in to the glass, not just a surface frost. You can see it a little better in the reflection at the bottom of the photo.

RABikes2
03-10-2005, 08:13 AM
Your work is beautiful William. And your heart is in a wonderful place to donate the raised money to the DPF.

Is the high bid at $20 or $100? Dekonick and Spidey? ;)

If it's $20, then my bid is $50. If it's $100, then my bid is $110.

RA

William
03-10-2005, 01:17 PM
WAY TO GO RA!!! :cool: :cool: :banana: :banana:

That's the spirit! Now, what we need here is a friendly bidding battle roy-al. Anyone want to step up to the plate?

Did I mention that it's also a stress reliever That's right, who here doesn't smile when they look at the Happy Banana? :banana: Raise your hand if the Banana doesn't make you smile. See, I don't see any hands.

A stress reliever,
A work of art,
A happy reminder of what you love to do,
~And~ your helping a worthy cause.

And to top it off, tomorrow is Friday! :banana:

William :)

William
03-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Don't make me break out the song & dance part of the show. :no: You DO NOT want to hear me sing "Feelings". :eek:

William ;)

William
03-11-2005, 03:13 AM
:banana:

William
03-12-2005, 08:32 AM
Since no one else wants to bid on this, I think it's time we clarify the bids.
Spidey,
Since this is not e-bay and your top bid was not hidden, I think everyone would assume that $100 is your bid since no one will come in under it knowing they can't win. Because Dekonic used the rolling eyes emocon behind his $99.00 bid, I didn't take it to be serious...correct me if I'm wrong Dek. In any event, RA was willing to beat either your low bid or your high bid. We just need to ascertain if you were serious about your $100 dollar top end?

I would recommend in the future that people just bid the amount they want to bid. The e-bay reference confused things a bit IMO. And remember this is for charity.

Thanks folks.

William

William
03-13-2005, 03:44 PM
;)

Dekonick
03-13-2005, 05:01 PM
I would be willing to go $50 or so if we can get more of em... My wife will KILL me if I spend more. Its a great cause - but cant swing more than that ATM.

I think you could probably get a few orders together if it was OK with Ben and co.

Dek.

William
03-14-2005, 05:57 AM
I would be willing to go $50 or so if we can get more of em... My wife will KILL me if I spend more. Its a great cause - but cant swing more than that ATM.

Understood. Esp with a little one on the way. I'll work on it and see what we can come up with.

William

William
03-14-2005, 07:44 PM
Ok, I warned you all. :no:

~Feelings, nothing more than feelings,
Trying to forget my feelings of love.
Teardrops rolling down on my face,
Trying to forget my feelings of love.

Feelings, for all my life I'll feel it.
I wish I've never met you, girl;*
You'll never come again.

Feelings, wo-o-o feelings,
Wo-o-o, feel you again in my arms.

Feelings, feelings*
Like I've never lost you
And feelings like I've never*
Have you again in my heart.

Feelings, for all my life I'll feel it.
I wish I've never met you, girl;*
You'll never come again.

Feelings, feelings like I've*
Never lost you
And feelings like I've never have you*
Again in my life.

Feelings, wo-o-o feelings,
Wo-o-o, feelings again in my arms.
Feelings..~

:D

It's for a good cause.

bostondrunk
03-15-2005, 05:44 AM
Willie, yer losin it worse than the drunk.
Go git a beer, hug that basset hound, and go have a good look at my gay pride pics in classifieds.

RABikes2
03-15-2005, 09:39 AM
Willie, yer losin it worse than the drunk.
Go git a beer, hug that basset hound, and go have a good look at my gay pride pics in classifieds.

I've got a policy of "sitting" on things I write for at least 5 hours before I submit them, but this time, I'm making an exception. I'll probably regret writing this, but it has rubbed me the wrong way.

When the banana logo idea came out, all "wanted" it on the SN car. Hell, we just paid $2500 to have the stupid banana put on a car. Then the stickers, they were received warmly and with many "I wants". In response to the enthusiasm of the stickers, car logo, etc., William spent MANY, MANY hours planning, designing, blueprinting, the material (crystal is NOT cheap), the time to make it (that was time away from doing work that PAYS him for a living), all done for the FORUM members to have something very special. There have been 455 views and only 17 responses to his thread, mostly from William. When the bids started, the "high" bid that was made (this in NOT e-bay) caused confusion. If you read my bid, I asked for clarification on what the actual bid was because of the confusion; no response. It was also done with the hopes that others would start chiming in, for surely I couldn't be the only one to notice, that for this donation to the DPF, somebody was going to get William's fine crystal artwork. When do you get that for a donation?

Some ideas came to mind on who might bid: A bid from a member w/ an office or shop that could display the artwork and it would be a conversation piece on the forum, cycling, and Serotta's. Or the thought that William's piece would get recognition from Open House attendees who could make it an "award" for a yearly "Open House contest". The moderator/or owner would announce yearly what the "contest" was prior to the OH and the FUN "race" would be on. Example: "Ugliest kit worn", "Ugliest socks worn", "Funniest comments made", "Longest winded stories", etc. The next year, the "FORUM" banana trophy would be passed on to the next contest winner.

The thread about the Open House then comes to mind. How much Ben does for us and RB having a problem with the $30 fee. I went to Open House last year and Ben was the most gracious host. The $30 was extremely MINIMAL compared with what we received from Ben and co., (food, beer, water bottles, 6 packs of beer, the picnic, band, the Tour, etc.), and it doesn't matter how wealthy you are, it DID cost Ben in employee hours, organizing the weekend, the band, the food (Saturday a.m., Saturday's picnic, Sunday a.m., and Sunday's lunch), etc., etc. There have been 1569 views of the Open House post and 64 replies, mostly from those that went and definitely felt the $30 was minimal. We received the gracious hospitality of Ben and co., made wonderful new friends, had great rides; all in all, an absolutely excellent time.

Has any thought been given to how much time and money William has spent? And then to receive so little response/recognition/compliments to his hard work?

Enough, I'm going to work.
RA

William
03-16-2005, 06:13 AM
RA for her hi bid of $50. RA actually made a much higher bid but due to the confusion and lack of clarification of a previous bidder, her lower bid was accepted. Thank you very much for your interest and willingness to help out a good cause RA. I'll contact you off forum about the specifics.

William

PS: Don't worry RA, No one is going to flame you for your post. You were speaking from the heart. I was hoping for a better response to but hey, it didn't happen.

spiderman
03-16-2005, 08:27 AM
i'd still donate $100 to the cause!
do you take paypal??
i was just waiting for a p.m
to inform me i was the winner!
sorry to have not had the savvy
to pick my way through
the message string
to figure out i could've been the high bidder
...sorry for the confusion...
send me a p.m.
to clarify how to get you the donation.
thanks!

Dr. Doofus
03-16-2005, 08:58 AM
what we need are serotta banana pint glasses...or litre glasses for jerk and drunk

dave thompson
03-16-2005, 09:25 AM
what we need are serotta banana pint glasses...or litre glasses for jerk and drunk
That's a nifty idea, forum glasses. Pint, litre, wine, shot or sommat like that.

William
03-16-2005, 11:02 AM
Shhh, already in the works. Someone will be be road testing a pair very soon.

alembical
03-16-2005, 11:25 AM
William,
I think that glasses would be great, just be sure to get Serotta's approval, becuase they already sell these.... http://www.serotta.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SCB&Product_Code=GLASS-ETCHED&Category_Code=A
http://www.serotta.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/glassLG.jpg
Alembical

Dekonick
03-16-2005, 01:02 PM
If you want to make a unique glass - check this out (I need to find the actual link - gimmie time...)

do a search for le corbeau brussels - they have 'yard' glasses with a unique shape. It would be neat to do something similar... they call the glass 'un chevalier' - fill that with Duvel and you are talking about one drunk cyclist...

William
03-16-2005, 01:07 PM
Spiderman,

I'll have info for you shortly.

William

RABikes2
05-09-2005, 08:56 AM
I recently received the Serotta crystal piece from William. :) The picture didn't do it justice, his work is beautiful. Like a Serotta, William's crystal piece is art in it's finest form! Thank you Cuz; a nice reminder of my great bike, the forum, and your contribution to the DPF!

Cuz'in RA :banana:

William
05-10-2005, 06:08 AM
Thanks Cuz,

that means a lot to me. :)

William