PDA

View Full Version : upgrade question

wc1934
02-16-2010, 10:47 AM
I have an older campy groupo (9 speed racing triple) on an older carbon fiber look frame. I was thinking about upgrading to either Centaur (10) or Athena (11).

Or, should I save the money and invest in a new frame instead.

What do you see as the pros and cons of each groupo – would a new groupo on an old frame seem out of place - what type/quality frame could I expect to get for around 700.

Dave
02-16-2010, 11:28 AM
A new Athena group is only about $800. That won't go very far toward a new carbon frame, unless it's an off-brand like Pedal Force.

You won't find a triple 11 speed, but it is possible. A compact 50/34 with a 12-27 or 12-29 will cover most of the range provided by a triple.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/groupset.asp?action=showframes&sub=conf_GS&type=RIBMO

Tobias
02-16-2010, 11:41 AM
If you are willing to upgrade "either" the frame or group alone, it seems you must be OK with both the frame and group you already have or you wouldn’t be asking the question.

The way I do things I'd keep the bike as is and save/invest the cash until the group and bike needs replacement, at which time I'd do it all at once.

I don't know if it is common or not, but I normally don't piecemeal upgrades.

Ken Robb
02-16-2010, 11:49 AM
I have a bike w/9speed Chorus and I had another with 10 speed Chorus. For me the only difference that matters is I can have 13-29 cassette on the 10spd and I have only found a max 13-26 for the 9speed. I sold the Kirk that had the 10 spd to Dave Thompson because it was "just his size". The 10 spd gruppo is sitting in a box. It was waiting for one of two new frames i had ordered but neither of those happened so it sits. Some day I may swap it for the 9 speed stuff on my Hampsten but to me that upgrade hasn't been worth the labor so far. Call me lazy.

RPS
02-16-2010, 02:04 PM
I have an older campy groupo (9 speed racing triple) on an older carbon fiber look frame. I was thinking about upgrading to either Centaur (10) or Athena (11).

Or, should I save the money and invest in a new frame instead.

What do you see as the pros and cons of each groupo – would a new groupo on an old frame seem out of place - what type/quality frame could I expect to get for around 700.
I can't compare Centaur 10 versus Athena 11, but regarding the one you are riding, I see little benefit to upgrade to 10 or 11 speed solely to get the extra cog or two. If you are happy with the operation of your triple I don't see having better gearing by upgrading if those options will be 2X10 or 2X11.

It's possible you could save a little weight but I don't see that as a major upgrade either. I'm still riding 9-speed triples and will continue to do so until I build a new bike or no longer can buy replacement parts.

palincss
02-16-2010, 02:56 PM
I can't compare Centaur 10 versus Athena 11, but regarding the one you are riding, I see little benefit to upgrade to 10 or 11 speed solely to get the extra cog or two. If you are happy with the operation of your triple I don't see having better gearing by upgrading if those options will be 2X10 or 2X11.

I thought the biggest benefit was the change in the shape of the brifter hoods.

Pete Serotta
02-16-2010, 03:34 PM
That is the question to ask yourself (unless the frame or components have mega miles on them.

Neither will a performance advantage BUT one could be a "lust" advantage.

You did not mention the wheels, but this could be a place to invest if your wheels are really heavy or if you want some of those"new" wheels. :confused:

Get what puts the smile on your face.... and gets you out riding more...

palincss
02-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Depending on what rubber you're riding, the easiest way to a really noticeable performance increase may be to change your tires. Lots of opportunity to experiment, you've got to replace them anyway, and it's cheap, especially compared to component upgrades.

And who knows, if you happen to have a very slow tire and switch to a very fast one, it may be worth a couple of mph on your average!

Tobias
02-16-2010, 07:32 PM
And who knows, if you happen to have a very slow tire and switch to a very fast one, it may be worth a couple of mph on your average!
Are you serious? I haven't run numbers on this but a couple of MPH difference on the average seems like more than I'd expect from road tires.

thwart
02-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Which Look model?

Their 'older' carbon frames are still pretty nice stuff. See the thread with that beautiful KG171 in the classifieds.

Sometimes you just need to do something to update the steed. I'd agree with others here that you probably would not gain an awful lot by switching gruppos. That said, now that I ride mostly 10 speed I do find it preferable to 9 speed, and it should be noted that 'Dave' has more than once opined here that 11 speed is the best thing since sliced bread.

Wheels would probably be the most cost-effective way to significantly upgrade a bike that you want to keep.

palincss
02-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Are you serious? I haven't run numbers on this but a couple of MPH difference on the average seems like more than I'd expect from road tires.

There's a lot of difference between the slowest and the fastest tires.

oldpotatoe
02-17-2010, 07:52 AM
I have a bike w/9speed Chorus and I had another with 10 speed Chorus. For me the only difference that matters is I can have 13-29 cassette on the 10spd and I have only found a max 13-26 for the 9speed. I sold the Kirk that had the 10 spd to Dave Thompson because it was "just his size". The 10 spd gruppo is sitting in a box. It was waiting for one of two new frames i had ordered but neither of those happened so it sits. Some day I may swap it for the 9 speed stuff on my Hampsten but to me that upgrade hasn't been worth the labor so far. Call me lazy.

Campagnolo 13-28/9s cogsets still available, for info.

Ken Robb
02-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Campagnolo 13-28/9s cogsets still available, for info.

thanks--I didn't know about those.