PDA

View Full Version : Dinner whats on your plate?

gauvink
02-16-2010, 05:34 AM
Me and the mrs. tend to eat pretty healthy. Chicken is a big staple of our diet and i'm gettin tired of the same ol same ol. I usually grill it then throw it over a salad or its a stir fry.

Anyone have any simple recipes to spice up chicken or suggest a healthy (easy to prepare) dinner. Sorry if this has been discussed before I'm new here.

Gauvin

MattTuck
02-16-2010, 07:10 AM
Chicken straight up can get a bit boring. Have you tried some marinades? They can add some flavor. Usually your grocery store (especially Trader Joe's or Whole Foods) will sell you premarinated chicken.

On the other hand, why limit yourself to chicken? Pork and Steak (grass fed) can be just as healthy and add some variety. Fish is probably more healthy than chicken, but also more expensive.

rugbysecondrow
02-16-2010, 07:29 AM
A little trick I do for chicken and meet is to freeze it in the marinade. Pull from the freezer and into the fridge the night before you want to eat it and it will thaw in the marinade and seems to work well.

As for marinades, I keep them simple:

Olive oil, BBQ sauce, Hot Sauce
Olive oil, Italian dressing, pressed garlic
Salsa, hot sauce, touch of olive oil

It often depends on what is in the house

dekindy
02-16-2010, 08:06 AM
Salmon.

rockdude
02-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Main staple for my family is egg whites, tuna and chicken breast. Always trying different low fat ways to cook it.

false_Aest
02-16-2010, 10:46 AM
lamb neck with turkey breast strips en papillon(rosemary, garlic onion, olive oil, S+P)
wild rice/quinoa medley
salad

Eating a lot of ground turkey and chicken breast these days. Trying to avoid cheap, feed-lot cuts of red meat which means that I'm eating about 1/5 the red meat I used to.

Breakfasts are scrambled egg white and quinoa prepared like you'd make oatmeal.

alancw3
02-16-2010, 11:27 AM
black beans and rice is a healthy and filling dinner. i eat it at least twice a week. i prefer the basmati rice over regular white rice. bush black beans in a flavored sauce with a couple of tablespoons of cider vinegar per can of beans.

i also eat a lot of boca burgers on whole wheat bread with a baked sweet potatoe and a salad.

boca burger also makes crumbles which are great to make chili with instead of ground beef.

Ken Robb
02-16-2010, 11:54 AM
I found a recipe last week on-line for Chicken Picatta. It was a darn good alternative to Veal Picatta which is also tasty. Google it as I did and pick the one you like best.

torquer
02-16-2010, 12:53 PM
This looks complex at first glance, but (like anything), it gets easier with practice, and now we rely on it for a quick work-day dinner. Serve with pasta or mashed potatoes:

Ingredients:
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves,
lightly pounded to 1⁄2-inch thickness
3 Tbs. chopped fresh sage
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, plus
more as needed
1 1⁄2 cups unsalted chicken stock
2 oz. thinly sliced prosciutto, julienned
2 to 3 tsp. balsamic vinegar
Directions:
Sprinkle the chicken evenly with the sage and season lightly with salt and pepper. Put the flour in a shallow dish. Dredge the chicken in the flour and shake off the excess.

In a large sauté pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Working in batches, cook the chicken until golden brown underneath, about 5 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook until golden brown underneath, about 5 minutes more. Transfer to a platter.

Whisk the stock into the pan. Add the prosciutto and vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, return the chicken to the pan and cook, basting occasionally with the sauce, until the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced with a knife, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. Season the sauce with salt and pepper and serve alongside. Serves 6.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/chicken-with-prosciutto-and-balsamic.html

Tonight's dinner will be centered on chicken breasts with a balsamic/shallot sauce. Found several versions on the web, but the one we use (by Pierre Franey, or maybe Paul Bocuse, it's been a while) didn't show up. Takes a bit longer than the one above, but worth it.