PDA

View Full Version : Which Pegoretti for me?

majl
02-15-2010, 07:41 PM
So I'm on the hunt for a bike from Dario. Looking for a bike that really gets up and goes when I get out of the saddle and step on the gas, yet is still the bike I want to grab for an event like the Death Ride.

Me: 40 years young, 6'-1/2", 155-160 lbs. I ride a 58.

My rides: mostly 30-50 mile excursions in the hilly SF Bay Area. Most all my outings have good, extended climbs (anywhere from 3-8 miles) and descents involved. On average 1000 ft of ascent for every 10 miles on the road. If I'm not doing a climb, then I'm usually on a flatter route doing intervals. Go easy, recovery rides are usually with my wife and/or my daughter.

Solo/group: I ride solo about half the time, and the other half is moderate to fast paced group riding with friends (I would say B-ride pace in most clubs) that can be competitive at times.

My bikes: too many road bikes at present. I have 3 and would like to thin the herd. My go to bike is a 2005 De Rosa Corum - modern steel, TIG welded. I really enjoy it - rode the Corum last year on a century with 10k feet of climbing and didn't feel beat up at all; just looking to see if Dario can provide something more. Sometimes, when I feel like going old school, I pull out my early 90s Primato - Columbus EL-OS tubing, lugged. Both steel bikes feel lively yet are comfortable. There's a 2-3 lb weight difference between them and I notice it when climbing. Finally, I recently built up a Serotta Hors Categorie and while it is super smooth, it doesn't have the snap of either De Rosa.

So Pegoretti owners - what would you put me on? I've somewhat narrowed down my choices to the Love #3, Marcelo, and Responsorium. I ruled out the Lugino (already have lugged steel and will probably keep the Primato whatever happens), Duende (marketed more on the comfort side), and BLE (I just don't think I'm big enough to warrant that frame). I've been racing cross for a couple of seasons and I'm pondering entering the road race scene for the first time this year. I'm guessing I would probably be happy on any of these three Pegs, but just looking to see if current or former owners might have some insight based on what I've described that might make one model just a little bit better choice for me than the others.

TIA. :beer:

sn69
02-15-2010, 07:56 PM
I'm not a racer, so there's no allure to a Love #3 for me with the obvious exception that it's a Pegoretti. Respo is nice, but pricey and accompanied by a long wait. I see the Marcelo as the best option of the three given cost, use, weight, wait, etc.

I had a Marcelo, and I can assure you that it can be built relatively light without resorting to boutiquey components. I had a Chorus drivetrain, ZG brakes, Eurus wheels, Syntace cockpit and an Easton post/Fizik saddle, and she weighed south of 18 pounds. I don't think you'd have problems due to weight in the hills of the SF area (I'm across the bay in Alameda, and my 17ish lugged Waterford poses no problems).

The accelertation is fantastic, the ride quality is telepathic--no over or understeer, and I think you'll fall in the love with the bike.

Granted, I'm both limited in experience and tainted in subjectivity, but I can assure you that I'll be buying another Marcelo in the next couple of years. I think it's a fantastic frame.

Scott

riceburner
02-15-2010, 08:00 PM
I've owned both the Love #3 and the Marcelo. if you want to race a bit, then get the Love #3 since you already have steel bikes. Love #3 is lively, and lighter than the Marcelo, I would think the Respo is too "dear" to race. Comes a bit down to availability and paint too, up to two year wait in a lot of places for them, the 56/57/58cm are not very common (you might be able to do a 56/57cm, check the dimensions as Pegos have tall headtubes), and I think AboveCategory has a few in stock:

56cm Duende (Lori colorway)
56cm Responsorium (Catch the Spider colorway)
57cm Duende (Osei colorway)
58cm Responsorium (Catch the Spider colorway)
58cm Love #3 (You Really colorway)

Jack Brunk
02-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Without question the Love #3 for every type of ride you listed. Mine was the best climbing bike I owned. Get a set of light weight carbon wheels and you have the perfect rig.

majl
02-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the early comments.

18 lbs is good. My Corum with Record 10 and bling Easton carbon wheels is 18 lbs. The Primato with Chorus 8-spd is 21 lbs. I'm not a weight weenie, but those 3 lbs make a difference at mile 50 coming up Tunitas, or when I'm going for time up Old La Honda against my riding mates. Glad to hear that a Marcelo with a sensible build can be had at 18 lbs.

Also, I don't want to make the decision based on the possibility that racing is in my future. I'd rather get the right bike for the kind of riding I currently do, and if it so happens that it's a great race bike too, then it's just icing on the cake. Ideally, I'd like to have only one bike and keep the Primato for those days when I'm feelin' classic.

bironi
02-15-2010, 09:13 PM
I'd listen to Mr. Brunk. He's been on many a frame with many a mile. :beer:

Jack Brunk
02-15-2010, 09:14 PM
You should be able to build a Love #3 at 15-16 pounds without even trying. Mine weighed in at 13 pounds with Edge 38 tubulars and record 10 grouppo. Good luck which ever way you go.

davidlee
02-15-2010, 09:15 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you just missed your bike in the classifieds here by just one day and for $850.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=70017
I agree with Jack, you can't go wrong with a Love #3 , or a Fina.
Good luck
david lee

majl
02-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I was bummed to see that I missed that Fina yesterday. I know it wasn't a Love #3 but it would have been great to get into a Peg at that price point. 16 lbs for an all-day bike sounds really tempting - never ridden a bike less than 18 lbs. Thanks again for the continued comments. Keep 'em coming!

sharkboyrob
02-15-2010, 10:35 PM
There's a 58 Fina with Ultegra 9 for $2K here:
http://mikesbikes.com/product/pegoretti-fina-estampa-3711.htm?affiliate=31
Maybe you can get a deal on just the F/F.

sharkboyrob
02-15-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm curious to hear from Duende owners about how it compares with the Marcelo and the Respo. I remember dbrk praising the Duende some time ago, though I know he's moved on to other Pegs and then some.

StellaBlue
02-15-2010, 10:46 PM
The Duende is right for everyone. :)

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/6232/img0277e.jpg (http://img706.imageshack.us/i/img0277e.jpg/)

StellaBlue
02-15-2010, 10:50 PM
These guys have a marcelo in 58cm and an amazing looking duende w/ steel fork in a 57.. Good shop too

http://www.bikyle.com/pegoretti.asp

AndrewS
02-15-2010, 11:17 PM
I had never heard of this brand before a week ago. Would anyone care to summarize the allure of these tig'd Italian made frames?

I read his history and looked at the website, so I'm really just trying to get more of how these bikes are thought of.

StellaBlue
02-15-2010, 11:53 PM
I had never heard of this brand before a week ago. Would anyone care to summarize the allure of these tig'd Italian made frames?

I read his history and looked at the website, so I'm really just trying to get more of how these bikes are thought of.

He built for many of the top pro's when steel was still in the PP. He was employed by Pinarello at the time. He was a leader in the TIG movement. Has had tubesets made for him by deda and columbus. Also has a tubing influenced/designed by he and Sachs.. The man gets fit and geometry.

http://italiancyclingjournal.blogspot.com/2008/04/visit-to-dario-pegoretti.html

fogrider
02-16-2010, 01:25 AM

a bike is about the ride, you can't just look at whats on paper. certain builders understand how to make frames that are responsive and handles great. sometimes we forget this when we ride great bikes. there are plenty of guys lining up to put down big bucks with richard sacks and sasha white and if you want Italian steel, dario is a good place to start.

personally, I think there are many lesser known builders that create great riding bikes...so many bikes, so little time.

William
02-16-2010, 03:59 AM
The only thing that pops into my mind is a Big Leg Emma. Of course the only thing that pops into my mind when you say "Peggoretti" to me is....Big Leg Emma. So take it with a grain of salt. ;)

William

rockdude
02-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Love #3 is your bike. For me, its light, nimble, responsive. I don't think I have been on a bike that track anywhere as good as the Love #3. I love taking it down steep mountain roads and letting the bike drive through the corners. Such as good time.

I only wish we had more summer weather with clear roads. 7 months of the year, she just sits and awaits to be ridden.

cody.wms
02-16-2010, 01:24 PM
The only thing that pops into my mind is a Big Leg Emma.

William

Whenever someone mentions Emma, the only thing I can think about are the lyrics to that song:

There's a big dilemma
'Bout my Big Leg Emma, uh-huh, oh yeah
There's a big dilemma
She used to knock me out
Until her face broke out

There's a big dilemma
There's a big dilemma
She was my steady date
Until she put on weight
etc.

majl
02-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks for all the inputs. It was a tough decision, but I ended going with a Love #3. Part of me really wanted to pick the Marcelo being Dario's signature bike and all, but after talking to a number of folks, I felt the Love was the ticket for me.

Hope to have it within the next couple of weeks!

rockdude
02-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks for all the inputs. It was a tough decision, but I ended going with a Love #3. Part of me really wanted to pick the Marcelo being Dario's signature bike and all, but after talking to a number of folks, I felt the Love was the ticket for me.

Hope to have it within the next couple of weeks!

Good decision. The love #3 is one sweet ride. Please post a ride report when you get a chance.