PDA

View Full Version : stupid tire question - cut clincher when to toss?

pdmtong
02-12-2010, 07:11 PM
winter riding has it's risks...more crap on the road just waiting to flat you. this winter a coupla flats were from sharp object cutting through the outer rubber and through the inner casing. not a gaping hole, but if you invert the tire, so the inside is now out, yea it's cut through. I though conventional wisdom is that when this happens, the tire is toast and should be sent to the specialzed recycling bin.

is this right? the last one had literally 200 miles on it and at $60 a pop, well [gulp]

i'm not talking huge cuts...i'm talking clear penetration through but you'd have to really pull the casing to find the hole. there is no denying the hole, but its not like the tube is bulging out.

how do you folks handle this....?

skijoring
02-12-2010, 07:29 PM
winter riding has it's risks...more crap on the road just waiting to flat you. this winter a coupla flats were from sharp object cutting through the outer rubber and through the inner casing. not a gaping hole, but if you invert the tire, so the inside is now out, yea it's cut through. I though conventional wisdom is that when this happens, the tire is toast and should be sent to the specialzed recycling bin.

is this right? the last one had literally 200 miles on it and at $60 a pop, well [gulp]

i'm not talking huge cuts...i'm talking clear penetration through but you'd have to really pull the casing to find the hole. there is no denying the hole, but its not like the tube is bulging out.

how do you folks handle this....?

Boot the inside of the tire with a patch. fill the hole with shoe goo from the outside..mount it up and ride...Now if this is your front tire, then use discretion.

Pete Serotta
02-12-2010, 07:32 PM
It is history... you can probably milk it for the winter doing the above.

skijoring
02-12-2010, 07:33 PM
I eagerly await Peter P's. recommendation, but I would never toss a 60 dollar tire for a puncture as described.

thwart
02-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Now if this is your front tire, then use discretion. And use Campy rims, so if the tire blows, the damn thing stays on the rim...

false_Aest
02-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Unless you're pro, tire patch that sucka and forget about it.

When you ride think about the 3 Billy Goats Gruff and not The Princess and the Pea.

Nautilus
02-12-2010, 08:42 PM
My preferred method is to sew the tire together then coat the threads inside and out with aquaseal, other adhesives probably work well too.

Patches are designed to hold air, but they aren't designed to withstand the spreading force of 100 psi.

Vertical cuts going from the rim out are easier to fix than horizontal cuts that run along the rim.

MarcusPless
02-13-2010, 12:38 AM
It's all about confidence...

If you don't have any in the tire then it's toast... otherwise, what's you talkin' 'bout willis?

It's really that simple.

If you don't trust it, chuck it!

Seriously...