PDA

View Full Version : Front Der Clamp - Tightening Torque

npiscitelli
02-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Just rebuilt my 5 year old Legendt Ti St with Super Record 11. What a fabulous grouppo. Does anyone know the specific tightening torque for the clamp-on front derailleur? tks

David Kirk
02-12-2010, 09:44 AM
This will be a non-answer answer. You need to tighten it enough so it doesn't move and anymore than that is a waste. The amount of torque is pretty low and it greatly influenced by the type of bolt and it's coating, if it's greased or not and if there is a washer under it's head. So it's entirely possible to tighten it to the 'proper' torque and not have it tight enough to prevent movement.

Tighten it so it just won't move and you will be good to go.

dave

npiscitelli
02-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks David. I had a feeling the answer would be 'just tight enough', but obviously not too tight. I was holding my breath as to what I would find underneath the clamp when I removed the Record FD that was in place for five years. To my surprise there wasn't even a mark - on a painted seatpost.

Kane
02-12-2010, 10:51 AM
The only front derailleur bolt that I have stripped is the one that I tightened with a Torque wrench. I returned the torque wrench. I use a Park allen tool and it gives me a decent amount of leverage and a good feel when I tighten any bike screws and bolts.
Cheers,

Kane

Ken Robb
02-12-2010, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE=npiscitelli the clamp when I removed the Record FD that was in place for five years. To my surprise there wasn't even a mark - on a painted seatpost.[/QUOTE]

HMMM, it sounds like you have your FD a wee bit higher than most. :) :banana: