PDA

View Full Version : Cinelli Supercorsa

snah
02-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Looking at one on Craigslist. Not sure I need it along side the Colnago Master X L, but it sure looks nice. Anything I should look for when I inspect? I'll try and add photos later, asking price is $475.

Auk
02-12-2010, 09:35 AM
They're complete pieces of crap. Now, please send me the exact link as I'd like to buy it at that price. :)

Just check the paint, it will be chipped, it's Italian paint, it chips upon touch. Otherwise they are really nice frames.

tim11
02-12-2010, 10:11 AM
A little off topic, but in searching Craigslist for the frame mentioned above (which looks pretty nice, by the way) I found another claiming to be listed on something called the Cinelli National Registry.

Is this registry a real thing? The website for it looks like little more than a list of people who own older Cinellis.

cmg
02-12-2010, 10:31 AM
ask for pictures that aren't shown in ad. Like the Bottom bracket or the rear drop outs or the chrome on the chainstays. to prove he is in possession of frame. ask specific questions about frame geometry, top tube lenght, seat tube lenght. if he can't produce the photos or is unwilling to measure the actual frame maybe it's too good to be true.

rounder
02-12-2010, 08:49 PM
I think i remember reading, long time ago, that eric clapton rode a red cinelli supercorsa. Not sure what components.

snah
02-13-2010, 12:06 AM
I think i remember reading, long time ago, that eric clapton rode a red cinelli supercorsa. Not sure what components.

That's the clincher, it's gotta be mine now. :beer:

r_mutt
02-13-2010, 08:43 AM
lemond's first racebike was also a cinelli supercorsa- a yellow one.

talk him down a few dollars!

enjoy the bike. it will be a beauty!

bluesea
02-15-2010, 08:12 AM
My 2nd RB was a brand new Nuovo Record equipped '76 Supercorsa. Even with all of the paint drips, globs, and both thick spots, and areas so thin you could almost see the chrome under-layer shinning through, I loved and worshipped that bike to death.

The early generation of Columbo Cinelli frames built by Mario Camilotto, were pretty much true to form and were what I would still consider true Cinelli's more or less. Once they, who ever they were, started to customize the frame with modern tube sets, the frames may as well be Bike Directs from Taiwan as far as I'm concerned. They were, and are no longer Cinelli frames.

The complete sum of a steel frame is not completely defined by the numbers on a geometry scale, the fork crown, and the seat stay design. It includes the *critical choices* by the designer of the tube set. If T. Kellogg and J. Duser were to retire and sell the Spectrum name, would the new frames still be Spectrums?

d_douglas
02-15-2010, 08:17 AM
I didn't know Clapton rode one, but then I was a bit too young to appreciate him.

I have a late 80's Supercorsa that I put some 9spd stuff on and leave at my in-laws house in Canada. I love riding that bike!

If yours is a bike one and you don't want that crappy steel fork in favour of a carbon one, let me know - I am looking for a new steel fork for mine!

Enjoy it if you end up buying it.

dziehr
02-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Both Eric Clapton and Mick Jagger also had bikes built by Condor.

For instance:

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/tech/shows/london07/index.php?id=/photos/2007/tech/shows/london07/london074/CondorP06

dancinkozmo
02-15-2010, 01:03 PM
...nobody cares what kind of guitar Bernard Hinault uses...who cares what kind of bike Clapton rides . :)

William
02-16-2010, 04:53 AM
I see a red bike and I want it painted black. :rolleyes: :)

William

dannyg1
02-16-2010, 02:43 PM
...nobody cares what kind of guitar Bernard Hinault uses...who cares what kind of bike Clapton rides . :)

Hate to put it to you so bluntly, but I care far more about what bikes Clapton chose than I do about the Landis, Armstrong, Cipolini Specialized's and Trek's.

We're I to consider buying one from the above, I'd pay the larger premium for the Clapton ride.

rounder
02-16-2010, 02:59 PM
I was starting to wonder whether i remembered that EC rode a Cinelli or dreamed it, so i clicked and found these.

http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/once-cyclist.html

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2008/01/from-bsnyc-culture-desk-clapton-by-eric.html

dancinkozmo
02-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Hate to put it to you so bluntly, but I care far more about what bikes Clapton chose than I do about the Landis, Armstrong, Cipolini Specialized's and Trek's.

We're I to consider buying one from the above, I'd pay the larger premium for the Clapton ride.

:)

snah
02-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Alright, Clapton, Jagger, Landis, Armstong aside, I just wish the guy would answer an e-mail. Have to assume thing sold.