PDA

View Full Version : Cable rub

jpw
02-11-2010, 09:37 AM
The rear derailluer cable on my Legend CX rubs against the underside of the chain stay aft of the bb near the bridge tube, which I'm surprised about.

Are there more elevated bb plastic cable guides available which would 'lift' the cable clear of the tube? The DA guide I'm using seems to have the same elevation as the one supplied by Serotta with the frame

Thanks, Jason.

TimD
02-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Wouldn't installation of Shimano Di2 cure this problem? :)

Seriously, that's surprising. What sort of BB cable guide are you running? Perhaps installation of one with a longer 'tail' might help. Or not.

You could also apply some 3M clear protective film to the contact point, but that may increase friction a bit and probably would be cut through eventually.

The cable probably won't cut through the tube in your lifetime, so maybe the simplest approach would be to clean & lubricate the contact point from time to time.

fjaws
02-11-2010, 10:10 AM
....or shim the current cable guide with a thin piece of rubber. Like the stuff used under handle bar mounts and such. I know I've got some that's sticky backed and could be trimmed to fit (I believe from a Polar mount kit).

Just an idea.

thwart
02-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Some plastic cable guides have 2 holes...

Maybe using the other hole will move the cable laterally enough to eliminate the interference?

Mike748
02-11-2010, 11:12 AM
The guide on my Ottrott has quite a bit of elevation. On the build sheet is says it is a Kinesis part. You might also try moving the guide further to the right. Some guides are slotted for left-right adjustment or have two holes as suggested above. Or use a piece of guide tubing around the wire for a few inches aft of the guide. This is what I did on my CSi front derailleur cable to keep it from cutting into the paint.

jpw
02-12-2010, 04:59 AM
Wouldn't installation of Shimano Di2 cure this problem? :)

Seriously, that's surprising. What sort of BB cable guide are you running? Perhaps installation of one with a longer 'tail' might help. Or not.

You could also apply some 3M clear protective film to the contact point, but that may increase friction a bit and probably would be cut through eventually.

The cable probably won't cut through the tube in your lifetime, so maybe the simplest approach would be to clean & lubricate the contact point from time to time.

Di2 - yes it would, and I am looking for a sponsor :-).

Actually, I've put a strip of electrical tape on the tube for now. Next time I get the tools out I'll try using the second screw hole,and then either look for the Kinesis or use some rubber filler to raise it up a little. Just a little surprised this is an issue at all.

Thanks all.