PDA

View Full Version : “Heads Up” Spacer Warning

Louis
03-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Just a warning if you’ve purchased, but not yet installed a Serotta “Heads Up” head tube extender:

Be sure to check the ID of the upper (female) portion before you install it. A while back I got one of the last spacers in stock and it turns out that the ID of the area that seats the upper bearing was too big. The CK bearing could be moved with your fingers! Unfortunately, we did not realize this until it had already been installed in the head tube, so we had do remove it and send it back to Serotta. If mine was not machined to spec, yours too may be off.

The kicker is that for reasons unknown to me, they are apparently switching from Ti to anodized Al, which won’t be available for about a month. So my Legend will now have a head tube that is mostly Ti, but with 20mm of Al. Does that mean it will now ride like an Al frame bike?

Louis

OldDog
03-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Will there now be the possability of galvanic corrosion between the aluminum and ti?

PaulE
03-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Aren't a lot of headset cups anodized aluminum already?

Smiley
03-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Yeah gone are the nice Ti heads Up extenders , in with the new machined in-house Aluminum extenders . Yes another dead inovation , will you guys be screaming to bring the Ti back along with the DKS :)

cpg
03-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Think of the weight savings!

Curt

OldDog
03-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Aren't a lot of headset cups anodized aluminum already?

Hmmmmm....didn't think of that! I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but lucky for me I'm the only tool!