PDA

View Full Version : Why do you come here?

Climb01742
03-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Why do you log onto the forum? we're a community. i'm curious what brings us together.

a. :beer:

b. :argue:

c. :fight:

d. :D

e. all of the above

f. other

terry b
03-08-2005, 11:11 AM
F. :confused:

davids
03-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Mostly to learn. I'm getting an education on what makes a good bike/how to buy the right bike, and how to be a better rider.

Someday, it might expand to actually meeting and riding with some of my fellow boardies. That could be nice.

coylifut
03-08-2005, 11:45 AM
Why do you log onto the forum? we're a community. i'm curious what brings us together.

a. :beer:

b. :argue:

c. :fight:

d. :D

e. all of the above

f. other

entertainment. Some of the things that are argued about here give me a chuckle.

BumbleBeeDave
03-08-2005, 11:50 AM
. . . to get more posts than you, Climb. Why else? ;)

BBDave

zap
03-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Why, to read your threads. :banana:

pale scotsman
03-08-2005, 12:06 PM
To learn and drool. Oh yeah, it's entertaining and free as well.

SGP
03-08-2005, 12:14 PM
hi my name is Scott, (gulp) and I'm a bike nut. (sigh, sob)

education & entertainment :bike:

Climb01742
03-08-2005, 12:15 PM
to learn.
to hang out.
to be inspired.
to laugh.
to be challenged, and to challenge.
to get better.
to feel connected to something.
and to be honest, to cause a ruckus once in awhile.

bostondrunk
03-08-2005, 12:18 PM
so I can act like a drunken bastard and argue with the likes of 93legendti and the deeply missed dbrk. My reading skills have een sliding ever since he left...:(

Kevan
03-08-2005, 12:20 PM
:D, but also for meeting people, riding with them, and possibly share a few :beer:ssssaaahhh!.

Let's not forget too that I'm doing my part, dedicating considerable time and effort here in helping Sandy lead a healthy, more constructive, lifestyle. The battle continues... :crap:

M_A_Martin
03-08-2005, 12:25 PM
To provide a token female presence...really...I can't leave, there are SO few other women who post!

And one day I'll probably even be riding a Serotta again other than my fatrotta...

And I learn a bit here...less lately. I miss Big Mac and Dbrk and a few others who had more than enough information to be dangerous.

MartyE
03-08-2005, 12:31 PM
For the abuse

bostondrunk
03-08-2005, 12:32 PM
For the abuse

Shut up Marty. :butt:

vaxn8r
03-08-2005, 12:32 PM
And I learn a bit here...less lately. I miss Big Mac and Dbrk and a few others who had more than enough information to be dangerous.
Yeah, what she said....

There's often more heat generated than knowledge, but despite the sometimes ruffled feathers, I've never seen another forum with this amount of decorum, respect, and really smart people...in the sense that we (almost) all own Serottas :)

I'm a bike nut and this forum gives me my fix. Even if there are too many steelheads around ;) ;)

92degrees
03-08-2005, 12:34 PM
i'm a habitual time waster.

William
03-08-2005, 12:34 PM
I first came here for bike info, specifically Serotta. But I've grown to like it here so now it's probably a little of each to varying degrees. I've personally met a number of people here, went riding with one person (when you coming back into the neighborhood "H" :cool: ), exchanged info and goods with others, and have some on-line buds now (not those kind. :rolleyes:). I'm also open to considering different builders now. It's especially illuminating to have some of them contribute here regularly. Lot's of great information gets shared and passed around. Helpful attitudes for the most part. And the Banana! Come on, who doesn't love the :banana: .

What can I say:

I LOVE YOU ALL!! :beer:

William

MartyE
03-08-2005, 12:39 PM
see what I mean?

Bruce K
03-08-2005, 12:43 PM
For the fun of it.

I learn a lot. I laugh alot. I grumble occassionally. I even get PO'd once in a while.

But I can honestly say that this group is one of the most enjoyable to spend some time with.

I have met a fair number. Ridden with a bunch. And I wouldn't trade any of it....except maybe Roy... ;)

I do miss dbrk and wish we heard a bit more from dnovo.

I am truly looking forward to Open House, Serotta Night at Wheelworks (are we bringing our favorite Serotta set of wheels TiDesign?), some ride with the folks planning on the PMC, and The Sunflower Revolution.

More miles, more freinds, more fun, more :beer:

BK

Big Dan
03-08-2005, 12:52 PM
For the people....... :banana:

soylvent green is people........................ :eek:

dirtdigger88
03-08-2005, 12:57 PM
It is the best time waster that I have- but really, it is for the people- there are people here that I honestly call friends now- some I call other things- but we wont get into that right now

Jason

Bruce K
03-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Dan;

You never knew that before? :eek:

"Moses" told us that years ago.

Just remember to buy stock in Soylent Company early. I hear it's going to be a big winner. :rolleyes:

BK

bcm119
03-08-2005, 01:24 PM
-I'm often bored at work
-I like you guys
-I like the heated debates, esp. when Climb stirs up trouble
-to learn as much as I can
-Someday I'll get to meet some forumites. (when is that PNW ride going to happen??)
-To advertise my new web retail shop (kidding)

alembical
03-08-2005, 01:35 PM
-Someday I'll get to meet some forumites. (when is that PNW ride going to happen??)

At the very least, in April Christian (see winter driving thread) is coming to town and some people have expressed an interest in riding then. I would be up for planning on any weekend though. At least we get some local Oregon and Washington riders together to enjoy this great weather. Shino and I have been riding some and would always enjoy some more company.

alembical

Kevin
03-08-2005, 02:04 PM
For the amusement.

Kevin

alembical
03-08-2005, 02:14 PM
I come here to prove it to myself that I don't have a problem. See, I am not addicted, they are.... I don't have lots of bikes, they do....

Basically, I just use all of you to make me feel better about myself and my addictions.... :banana:

Alembical

slowgoing
03-08-2005, 02:15 PM
I come here despite touchy/feely threads like this one and those where everyone calls each other silly names like "pals."

M_A_Martin
03-08-2005, 02:22 PM
SLAP

(pals backwards...feel better?)

pbbob
03-08-2005, 02:31 PM
I come looking for e-ritchie's and the other builders posts which are not only informative but thought provoking and entertaining. that and it gets me away from work for a few minutes.

OldDog
03-08-2005, 02:32 PM
To be entertained by the useless drivil from other cyclepaths like me.

To be educated by those who truely know their craft and are kind enough to take the time to share their thoughts.

To hang with others who are not afraid to express themselves without a spell checker!

And finally, a day without a :banana: is like a day without a :bike:

Thanks to Ben and Co. for providing this playpen. And thanks to all the SerottaPals that keep our wheels spinning around here. (You too SlowGo!)

OD

csb
03-08-2005, 02:36 PM
... to keep count of m.a.'s responses involving s+m

Climb01742
03-08-2005, 02:38 PM
I come here despite touchy/feely threads like this one and those where everyone calls each other silly names like "pals."

be careful, slow, the after-effects of law school are showing. :rolleyes:

slowgoing
03-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Climb, does that mean I'm not your pal anymore?

Climb01742
03-08-2005, 03:09 PM
slow, i need all the pals i can get. no one who owns a steel bike likes me. ;)

William
03-08-2005, 03:17 PM
slow, i need all the pals i can get. no one who owns a steel bike likes me.
I like you Climb. As a matter of fact, I like you so much that I'll barrow those Zipps anytime you like. ;) :rolleyes: :)

William :beer:

GoJavs
03-08-2005, 03:20 PM
The crowd's the nicest, the format's the easiest, and the fights are just too funny. :fight:

molly22
03-08-2005, 04:05 PM
i learned amazing things on this forum. i bought my bike with that knowledge. By the way, not de-emphasizing my local bike shop guy, the forum only reinforced it. i felt fortunate to have been able to have the perfect bike, and i love it. i could ride it all day.

not to mention, it's easier to go to one site, knowing someone may have posted an update on stuff without going to velonews etc. thank you.

i do miss the cranky, knowledgeble racer guy. he is long gone, but was an asset to the site. remember him?

p.s.
aside to william. i will call you when i'm in town, if it ever turns to spring.

cycleman_21
03-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Bad habbits are easy to form but hard to live with,
good habbits are hard to form but easy to live with
great habbits start with cycling(and here) :banana:

RC

spiderman
03-08-2005, 04:52 PM
:bike:
plus i'm waiting for dbrk's return
and to hear how ginger's recovery comes along...

jerk
03-08-2005, 05:30 PM
the jerk forgets why he comes here.
jerk

Big Dan
03-08-2005, 05:35 PM
Dan;

You never knew that before? :eek:

"Moses" told us that years ago.

Just remember to buy stock in Soylent Company early. I hear it's going to be a big winner. :rolleyes:

BK

Bruce.. you got me trying to slip an obscure reference.... :beer:

Moses?? I was thinking of the old man w/ the shotgun...

:D :D

Dr. Doofus
03-08-2005, 06:15 PM
your doofus comes for the chicks

Bill Bove
03-08-2005, 07:02 PM
For the abuse
Wy come here when you can stay at home and abuse yourself?

Kirk Pacenti
03-08-2005, 08:14 PM
For the "emote-icons"! (sp?)

:)

djg
03-08-2005, 08:17 PM
nm

Elefantino
03-08-2005, 08:57 PM
And I'm shocked, shocked that there is bike talk going on in here.

Bruce K
03-08-2005, 09:05 PM
Dan;

Soylent Green is one of my favorite obscure sci-fi flix. I seem to remember someone (and it could have been me - over 50 I get to have Senior Moments) used the line in a sgnature tag here on the forum.

BK

GoJavs
03-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Nothing like an obscure sci-fi reference to get the google on full alert....Here ya go:

http://www.soylent-green.com/

:D :D :D

wwtsui
03-08-2005, 09:52 PM
I don't know of any other bike forum where the question "why do you come here?" would lead to a reference to a sci-fi movie from 1973 that I'd never heard of. It's a great example of why I come here -- it's many of the things people have said earlier, plus you never know when you're gonna run across something interesting that you would have never learned about otherwise...

Bruce H.
03-08-2005, 10:42 PM
I come here because I really enjoy reading the majority of the posts. I find them informative and often witty.
It helps me maintain my sanity by allowing me a good chuckle many times.
( And yes, M. A. it would be good to hear more imput from females. I ride with a group which includes men and women, and I think many women would have lot's to contribute here)
Bruce H..

shinomaster
03-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Abuse, humiliation, to make fun of Serotta, to make friends, to learn stuff, to see other forum member make fools out of them selves, to keep busy at work, to make sure Campy is still better than Shimano, to get Serotta James to like me and my rusty green Atlanta frame, to preach about Belgian beer, to preach about shino pottery and early Islamic and Christian art, to preach about the virtues of Cannondale, and Taiwanese bikes, because someone has to make me laugh!!?? What a waste of time! :banana:

M_A_Martin
03-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Soylent Green! Serotta! They both start with an S! Coincidence? I think not!

csb: That was the first post of yours I'd read BEFORE you edited it! Who forces you to edit these things?

That's right Climb...steel and ti never get along.

hillweinie
03-09-2005, 04:43 AM
Greetings from South Carolina! I've been away from the board for awhile. This is my first exposure to the new format. I used to post on the old forum sight under my real name but it's been a year or more ago now...lost track. I see there are some old souls still around and that's comforting. Until I read all the responses to this thread I had forgotten how entertaining this board can be.
Also educational. I learned much from you guys when I was clicked in before.
By the way, what happened to dbrk and Big Mac? Some of the posts seemed to indicate they were MIA or something. Those are both familiar names. Well, I'm trying to refocus here a little so I'll hang around and try to catch up. Is bulliedawg still contirbuting? I'm crashing here so I'm gonna shut up for now.
It's good to be back(I think)! :banana:

hillweinie

Climb01742
03-09-2005, 04:49 AM
m.a., further proof that in every photo with me in it, i look like a spaz. oh joy. what'll it take to burn this? name your price.

M_A_Martin
03-09-2005, 07:14 AM
hillwienie...you lost track of your real name? Wow...I thought I had issues. Welcome back!

Climb...dear boy, that pic isn't going to get either of us dates. Hmmmm...what will it take for me to burn it...stop feeling so darn picked on for riding a ti bike. That might do it.

csb
03-09-2005, 08:00 AM
allan macdowell

xlbs
03-09-2005, 08:06 AM
I feel like I belong here. I spent way too many years in the industry not to lurk, laugh, learn, and sometimes even give back a wee tiny bit to people who appreciate it. And, you need Canadians here to keep the international flavour (including weird spelling.)

Birddog
03-09-2005, 08:47 AM
I'm mostly a lurker, but at various times I find this forum educational, interesting, and humorous. As long as we're using old movies, I think it's occaionally like watching the "Hellstrom Chronicles" as forum members systematically chew through subjects with millions and millions of cyber bytes like in that recent 17 page epic.

Birddog

MartyE
03-09-2005, 09:48 AM
awaiting the return of Chunk666, thunderthighs and seanypaycheck
and my daily dose of dancing bananas

gasman
03-09-2005, 11:46 AM
I come here for the fabulous cash and prizes !!!!!

Oh, and for the humor, information and comradarie of this online community.
I've learned a lot about bikes and bicycling in the last year but mostly I've been entertained. There are many of you here I would like to meet in person and share a ride or a beer. :banana:

keno
03-09-2005, 11:49 AM
put a V-Chip in my computer. I got nowhere else to go.

keno

Spinner
03-09-2005, 01:36 PM
i'm addicted. somebody help!!!!!!

OldDog
03-09-2005, 01:38 PM
I come here because Spinner is such a great guy - especially back from 11/2004 to 10/2005.

How ya been Spin?

:D

Dekonick
03-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Because the Jerk thinks your stem is too short....

Bruce H.
03-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Wow! I forgot about him. Chunk666. Whatever happened to him????
Anyone know?
Bruce H