PDA

View Full Version : OT: Jay Leno back on Tonight Show. Will you watch it?

RkyMtn
02-09-2010, 10:45 PM
So, listening to the "news" on my commute home, reports have it that NBC is going to bring the Tonight Show back on air with Jay Leno, after the Olympics end.

So, is anyone going to watch it?

Blue Jays
02-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Why, is he promising a cycling-related interview or something?

nahtnoj
02-09-2010, 11:54 PM
On the rare occasions that I watch something other than Stewart/Colbert, I'll go back to watching Letterman.

Leno isn't funny - this isn't seriously debatable. Maybe he won't go back to the same old routine and will try something new this time around.

OtayBW
02-10-2010, 01:59 AM
Jay Leno is Da Debil. DA DEBIL, I say!!

Ray
02-10-2010, 04:11 AM
I've never watched Leno. I dvr Letterman every night and watch the recordings pretty often. I never found Leno funny at all.

-Ray

William
02-10-2010, 04:16 AM
I can't say that I've ever watched that show. No interest.

William

duke
02-10-2010, 04:54 AM
No.
duke

1centaur
02-10-2010, 05:05 AM
Leno has good timing and sometimes his writers write a good joke, but he can't interview well because he completely does not care about the person in front of him - fake and not present.

Letterman has the attitude of a funny guy but even more rarely delivers a funny line (weak SNL-like writing and in the same predictable vein), and his interviews are about him, not the guest, which again makes them boring. He's present, but he's a bore and/or a bundle of unpleasant psychoses.

Luckily, I have to get up early every morning, or I'd be flipping channels at 11:35 and probably come across a Kardashian on E, the second worst 5-minute time waster on the planet after late night talk shows.

dancinkozmo
02-10-2010, 05:55 AM
...absolutely no.
does anyone actually watch this crap ??

duke
02-10-2010, 07:19 AM
Someone must if they just paid C. O'brien 30 mil to go away. I would go away for quite a bit less than that. Maybe you guys should take up a collection...
duke

rwsaunders
02-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Leno has good timing and sometimes his writers write a good joke, but he can't interview well because he completely does not care about the person in front of him - fake and not present.

Letterman has the attitude of a funny guy but even more rarely delivers a funny line (weak SNL-like writing and in the same predictable vein), and his interviews are about him, not the guest, which again makes them boring. He's present, but he's a bore and/or a bundle of unpleasant psychoses.

Luckily, I have to get up early every morning, or I'd be flipping channels at 11:35 and probably come across a Kardashian on E, the second worst 5-minute time waster on the planet after late night talk shows.

+1

Ahneida Ride
02-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Leno is the worse talk show host out there ..

except that is, for every other talk show host out there.

sg8357
02-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Leno is the worse talk show host out there ..

except that is, for every other talk show host out there.

Brian Lamb is good, and the guy who does the "In Depth" interviews
first Sunday of the month. Funniest stuff are the Cato Institute chat shows.

Comedy Channel for news and C-span2 for humor.

toaster
02-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Best thing to do is to give up on television viewing altogether.

At a minimum just watch special events that mean something to you rather than have television "habits".

Just think, you could be sleeping and getting better recovery from your rides!

Tony Edwards
02-10-2010, 10:22 AM
I was a fanatical Letterman fan when I was in high school in the late '80s, and Leno was always a favorite guest. He was a brilliantly funny standup, and managed to almost always have new, funny material when he went on Dave's show.

I remember being excited when they gave Jay what I remember as an hourlong prime-time special on NBC, which in retrospect was clearly a test program for the Tonight Show, but was very disappointed with the show itself - the biting, witty comic I always liked had dumbed down his act to make it more palatable. The dumbing-down continued, and worsened, when he actually got the Tonight Show. I have never found the Jay Leno Tonight Show even moderately entertaining, and in fact it really irritates me knowing that he is capable of such excellence.

I blame NBC more than I blame Jay for the debacle that ensued when the network foolishly shut down the highly profitable, successful Leno Tonight Show in favor of the more interesting but unmarketable Conan Tonight Show, then made matters worse by giving Conan a terrible lead-in with the awful Jay Leno Show at 10:00. That said, there's no question Jay, who has more money than God (he is proud of the fact that, despite his hangars full of beautiful cars, he has never spent a penny of his Tonight Show money), could have left Conan in place at the Tonight Show and gone to Fox or - God forbid - simply retired when NBC made it clear the 10:00 Leno Show was over. Instead he chose to squeeze Conan out, which I think was the wrong thing to do.

Long story short, I will not be watching the Leno show.

JMerring
02-10-2010, 10:45 AM
no. leno's a douche and a crappy, cheesy, unfunny host. letterman's the man but from time to time i would turn conan on 'cos i like him too. nbc has assured i won't be tuning in for a long time.

1happygirl
02-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Like Leno okay but just didn't watch much since Johnny.

All the good stars/hosts are gone.

Letterman and fer shure Conan are not funny, IMHO.

SamIAm
02-10-2010, 10:47 AM
So, listening to the "news" on my commute home, reports have it that NBC is going to bring the Tonight Show back on air with Jay Leno, after the Olympics end.

So, is anyone going to watch it?

Clearly there were and probably still are more people who are interested in watching the Leno show than Letterman and Conan.

By the way Letterman has become shrill and is definitely not funny, like an old man chasing kids off his lawn. On the other hand, I saw Leno in Vegas a few months ago and the guy IS funny. Whether or not viewers choose to "punish" him for his perceived role in the Conan debacle remains to be seen.

I don't watch late night, but if I did, it would be Leno.

1happygirl
02-10-2010, 10:57 AM
BTW, what did Leno have to do with it anyway, I see him as blameless. That's like punishing someone for making a better product & profit that more people want to buy. Didn't listen too much to what went on.
Didn't watch Conan AT ALL, since he's not funny. Leno is the best of a meager group.

Ray
02-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Just a reminder that there's no objective truth about who/what IS funny and what is NOT funny. Its all a matter of what's funny to YOU. I guess this should be assumed, but when I read someone say "XXX is an asshole and is not funny", it reads VERY differently than when someone says, "XXX isn't funny to me, YYYY is". Maybe we don't need to state that an opinion is an opinion but when we state an opinion too directly, as though its fact, it comes across as condemning those with different opinions as being WRONG. When there's obviously no such thing in a discussion like this.

Just for the record, I find Letterman and John Stewart to both be hilarious often enough to watch them most of the time. I thought Conan was pretty funny sometimes, but not consistently enough to hold me as a regular viewer. I feel the same way about Colbert. I thought Leno could be pretty funny back in his days as a stand-up, but I never liked him at all as a talk show host.

I don't hate him because of what NBC did. Why would I hate Jay Leno? I just don't think he's very funny very often.

-Ray

hairylegs
02-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Leno is banned from my house! He seems slimy...especially now. :(

1happygirl
02-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Just a reminder that there's no objective truth about who/what IS funny and what is NOT funny. Its all a matter of what's funny to YOU. I guess this should be assumed, but when I read someone say "XXX is an asshole and is not funny", it reads VERY differently than when someone says, "XXX isn't funny to me, YYYY is". Maybe we don't need to state that an opinion is an opinion but when we state an opinion too directly, as though its fact, it comes across as condemning those with different opinions as being WRONG. When there's obviously no such thing in a discussion like this.

Just for the record, I find Letterman and John Stewart to both be hilarious often enough to watch them most of the time. I thought Conan was pretty funny sometimes, but not consistently enough to hold me as a regular viewer. I feel the same way about Colbert. I thought Leno could be pretty funny back in his days as a stand-up, but I never liked him at all as a talk show host.

I don't hate him because of what NBC did. Why would I hate Jay Leno? I just don't think he's very funny very often.

-Ray

Agreed!!! No judgement intended, just my opinion. I didn't mean anyone else was wrong. I think all of them UNfunny compared with the comedians of yesteryear. The only funnies were the one liners the media would replay to comment the next day on current events (cuz they couldnt think of anything remotely witty to say themselves-they had to steal/parrot). That's really the only time I listened and heard them. It just seemed like Leno has more funny ones.

Bud_E
02-10-2010, 11:52 AM
I say bring back Dick Cavett.

SamIAm
02-10-2010, 02:20 PM

-Ray

Thanks for that reminder, sometimes I forget to give the proper gravity to my responses on issues of such import.

topher
02-10-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm with Coco.

OtayBW
02-10-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm with Coco.
Me too, and AFAIK, that last week of his show was some of the funniest stuff I have EVER seen on TV....

ti_boi
02-10-2010, 04:31 PM
I watch soooooo little TV these days. I like Jay's everyman style though. And his cars are way cool. :cool:

I have been a Conan fan from his days as a writer for the Simpsons.....(not that I know every bit he wrote or anything.....) The man is talented. Boo Freakin Hooo he left with $35M that was soooooo sad.

chuckroast
02-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Funnier than both of them.

William
02-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Funnier than both of them.

Don't forget Chuy! :D

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rEWNJTxLgzA/SnZrNgIjXlI/AAAAAAAABXQ/AVi_t3nT6Ww/S660/Chuy_Bravo-3.jpg

William

dd74
02-11-2010, 12:54 AM
Charlie Rose. I used to watch Ted Koppel, but "Nightline" is nothing like when TK was at the helm.