PDA

View Full Version : Now that's some Carbon boys and girls - Americas Cup Time

Smiley
02-09-2010, 03:07 PM
I bet Serotta Carbon wet's his pants when he see's this video of the Americas Cup Tri of BMW Oracle.

http://bmworacleracing.com/en/interactive/videos_2009/index.html?track.refer=/en/interactive/videos_2009/promo_2008.html&track.type=sn

rounder
02-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Smiley, i was interested but the pictures and videos are not interactive.

Smiley
02-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Smiley, i was interested but the pictures and videos are not interactive.

click on the words not the pictures, the Tri is very fast and very Carbone Fibre

pbjbike
02-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Remember when they argued about the course, not where the boats were made ? :rolleyes: Not traditional yacht racing IMO. After Moser and Obree, the UCI went back to basics...AC will go the same way. :beer:

Steve in SLO
02-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Impressive, but just remember, if you hit just one fish just a little too hard, the whole thing's a pile of trash.

rounder
02-09-2010, 08:55 PM
It's a cool looking boat. 150,000 hours to build. 114 feet long. I really like the America's cup races. They are sort of a money's no object, race what you brung...so long as it is within the rules design. And they go for it regardless. The crew risks their lives under calculated, but go for it conditions.

Smiley
02-10-2010, 08:40 AM
It's a cool looking boat. 150,000 hours to build. 114 feet long. I really like the America's cup races. They are sort of a money's no object, race what you brung...so long as it is within the rules design. And they go for it regardless. The crew risks their lives under calculated, but go for it conditions.
Actually the races around the world are better described in this way Americas cup racing is limited to no racing in too light winds and I think they top off the racing in small craft advisory conditions since they are afraid to break their boats.

rounder
02-10-2010, 03:41 PM
You are right...there was a big race about two years ago where at least one crew member died, but it was a longer race. I still like reading about the Americas Cup races and how high tech they are.

dvs cycles
02-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Been tracking this boat since summer when my wife and I stumbled upon their compound in San Diego.
On the sites blogspot a couple weeks ago there was a video of it taking a 8 to 9 knot breeze and getting 25 to 29 knot boat speed out of it.
While testing in San Diego right after we saw it sailing off shore it De-masted the 190' carbon mast. A week later it emerged with the 200'+ Wing.
Amazing boat and so is the Swiss Catamaran Alenghi. Race 1 has been cancelled twice this week due to lack of wind on Monday and too high of swell today. Hopefully these two giant technical test beds will finally go head to head on Friday.

Ozz
02-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Race 1 has been cancelled twice this week due to lack of wind....
I heard the competitors used it all up in the courtroom.... :D

rnhood
02-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Been tracking this boat since summer when my wife and I stumbled upon their compound in San Diego.
On the sites blogspot a couple weeks ago there was a video of it taking a 8 to 9 knot breeze and getting 25 to 29 knot boat speed out of it.
While testing in San Diego right after we saw it sailing off shore it De-masted the 190' carbon mast. A week later it emerged with the 200'+ Wing.
Amazing boat and so is the Swiss Catamaran Alenghi. Race 1 has been cancelled twice this week due to lack of wind on Monday and too high of swell today. Hopefully these two giant technical test beds will finally go head to head on Friday.

I read that it cost $10M to replace the mast with the wing. Budgets aren't exactly in the vocabulary of these billionaires. I'm all for technology and pushing the boundaries but, for the classic America's Cup they should be sailing mono hulls.

Louis
02-10-2010, 06:17 PM
This isn't about sailing - it's about billionaires' egos. On the other hand, the American's Cup always has been about rich guys and their boats, but recently it's been taken to the n'th degree.

BTW, whatever happened to the playoffs they used to have for the challengers?

Karin Kirk
02-10-2010, 06:40 PM
I heard the competitors used it all up in the courtroom.... :D

Oh, I didn't know Greg Lemond is into sailboat racing too? :p

dvs cycles
02-10-2010, 07:24 PM
BTW, whatever happened to the playoffs they used to have for the challengers?
This is simular to back in, I forget the year, that The Aussie guy showed up with the huge monohull and challenged Dennis Connor resulting in Connor using a Cat to defend.
Lot of rule bending on both sides with the Swiss trying to stack the deck a little and USA having to even it out wherever possible IMHO. :beer:

jsfoster
02-11-2010, 08:06 AM
This is simular to back in, I forget the year, that The Aussie guy showed up with the huge monohull and challenged Dennis Connor resulting in Connor using a Cat to defend.
Lot of rule bending on both sides with the Swiss trying to stack the deck a little and USA having to even it out wherever possible IMHO. :beer:

A lot of America's Cup sport does happen in the courtrooms of New York State, where the original deed of gift resides. At to Dennis Connor's use of the catamaran, the judge at the time made a very poor decision; which violated the essence of the deed of gift, which is about competing in like minded boats. A 60 foot catamaran and a 120 foot monohull, can not be compared as like minded even though they both have a similar length 'waterline'.
These new boats, USA-17 and Alinghi, 'racing' now are similar and I believe that the original framers of the deed of gift would approve of these incredible machines for sailing.
Now, back to the video tape....

Z3c
02-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Bob Parlee used to be involved in the building of sailboats..

While I know nothing of this "sport", I do enjoy watching it..

dvs cycles
02-14-2010, 12:19 PM
America's cup is coming home! :beer:

jsfoster
02-14-2010, 02:16 PM
it's Newport time again.

rnhood
02-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Newport hell, lets hope it goes to SF Bay. With the winds there maybe they will go back to mono-hulls. And, it would be fun to go climb up in those hills surrounding the Bay with a good pair of binoculars. An Americas Cup in SF Bay would do far more to highlight the sport and usher back some of its lost popularity. Of course they need to keep the budgets under control and ban an courtroom activity.

Louis
02-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Of course they need to keep the budgets under control and ban an courtroom activity.

I agree, but good luck with that. Let's at least hope they can get a challengers' series going instead of a simple Deed of Gift race.

Smiley
02-14-2010, 03:19 PM
A lot of America's Cup sport does happen in the courtrooms of New York State, where the original deed of gift resides. At to Dennis Connor's use of the catamaran, the judge at the time made a very poor decision; which violated the essence of the deed of gift, which is about competing in like minded boats. A 60 foot catamaran and a 120 foot monohull, can not be compared as like minded even though they both have a similar length 'waterline'.
These new boats, USA-17 and Alinghi, 'racing' now are similar and I believe that the original framers of the deed of gift would approve of these incredible machines for sailing.
Now, back to the video tape....
My sailmaker at the time was on Team DC and he said that they could have beat Foster's giant mono with a beach catamaran, they literally slowed down their cat as to not make a mockery of that sail off. Randy Smyth was the sail designer at the time and a Silver meadlist in the Olympic Toronado Class at the time.

I say convert the Americas cup to Multihull and dump those slow mono's :)

dvs cycles
02-14-2010, 05:30 PM
it's Newport time again.
Nope. We'll keep it on the Kalifornia coast thank you.
Un less you were meaning Newport Beach, Ca.? ;)
Last time we did it in San Diego so San Francisco should be a much more exciting venue with better winds.

dvs cycles
02-14-2010, 05:35 PM

I sail convert the Americas cup to Multihull and dump those slow mono's :)

Or maybe a mono like this one?
http://www.marinebusiness-world.com:80/index.cfm?nid=65148

Louis
02-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Nope. We'll keep it on the Kalifornia coast thank you.
Un less you were meaning Newport Beach, Ca.? ;)
Last time we did it in San Diego so San Francisco should be a much more exciting venue with better winds.

FWIW I read somewhere that Larry Ellison just recently bought "Beechwood" the old Astor place in Newport RI. (for $10 million in case you were thinking of moving in next-door - speaking of chasing the carrots, that's a whole heck of a lot of them)