PDA

View Full Version : No chainstay bridge - full coverage fender options?

majl
02-09-2010, 12:03 PM
So my Ritchey Breakaway cross (pictured here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=66404) has eyelets at the fork and rear drop-outs but does not have a chainstay bridge. What are my options for mounting full coverage fenders, if any? After having to clean up my fenderless road bike after 3 consecutive days of riding in the rain I'd like to install full fenders on the Breakaway, mount up a pair of 700x25 Pro Race 2s on the wheels and use this bike when the roads are wet. TIA.

znfdl
02-09-2010, 12:10 PM
My lemond propad does not have a hole for a fender on the chainstay bridge. I overcame this deficieny by wrapping the chain stays with electrical tape, then used a plastic tie around the chain bidge and then did a plastic tie from the fender to the first plastic tie.

The plastic ties also are easily cut if you are travelling and need to take off the fenders. Sorry no pictures.

GregL
02-09-2010, 12:22 PM
My Poprad had NO chainstay bridge, so I made one out of Delrin. The Delrin material is easy to cut and drill. I secured it between the chainstays with zip ties, and secured the fender to it with another zip tie. As a bonus, since the bike frame, chainstay bridge, and zip ties are all black, you can't even tell that the mount was homemade from a few feet away.

-Greg

palincss
02-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Is there any reason you couldn't add a second set of Honjo or Berthoud-type stays, vertical or nearly vertical?

54ny77
02-09-2010, 01:37 PM
perhaps try a clamp-on h20 bottle bracket.

or look at ergott's serotta build and what he did to mount the fenders. pretty creative.

Marcusaurelius
02-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Oddly enough I too have a poprad but I took it to a local frame builder and he added a chanstay bridge and rack eyelets on the seat stays. I have used the plastic ties on another bike but I just did till I could get the frame to a frame builder.

d_douglas
02-09-2010, 02:30 PM
My lemond propad does not have a hole for a fender on the chainstay bridge. I overcame this deficieny by wrapping the chain stays with electrical tape, then used a plastic tie around the chain bidge and then did a plastic tie from the fender to the first plastic tie.

The plastic ties also are easily cut if you are travelling and need to take off the fenders. Sorry no pictures.

That's what I did. Mix in disc brakes on my cross commuter and you've got one jerry-rigged fender system.

However, no rattles, no loose bolts, no spray. My number one rule is to ALWAYS have one bike with full nerd fenders. Wet commuting is fun with them!