PDA

View Full Version : Fun Forum story

achurch
02-08-2010, 03:59 PM
For Christmas, I got to build a bike with my brothers for my oldest nephew. Bike originally came from Stepehn CL here and brakes came from Liberace. Rest of build is from spare parts. Pics are of me building bike with brothers Christmas eve and of nephew having a very good Christmas day. Original story behind bike is pasted here below from Stephen's original e-mail. When he outgrows it, and a few younger brothers, will repost for another member...

Cheers all... And a big thanks to Serotta for making the forum a great community.

Andy

FROM ORIGINAL POSTING:
"This is a 1992 Basso Graftek. It was made by Aegis in Maine. Aegis also made carbon bikes for Trek. I bought the frameset new. Yes, it was NOS. I bought it from College Park Bicycles in College Park, MD. It had been hanging on the wall since I went to school there in 1991/1992.

They used to be a big Basso dealer and had all the cool Basso bikes in the day. The Gap, the ti by litespeed, the ascot and this, the Graftek. It was the most expensive frame and fork you could buy at the time, except maybe a Serotta legend. $2499 was the original price and the price on the frame tag when I bought it. It featured wicked cool internal cable routing for both the rear brake and derailleurs and was state of the art from a construction perspective.

It was purchased in 2005 for my son for christmas. It was his first real road bike and at the time fit him okay. It was still a little tall and long for him, but it made due. He is now my height and this no longer fits him, even with the seatpost all the way up."

bostondrunk
02-08-2010, 04:12 PM
'French fit'... ;)

Nice bike!