PDA

View Full Version : Speedplay Zero and wide feet?

jimp1234
02-08-2010, 01:09 PM
I'm thinking about upgrading my aging Look Cx-7 pedals, and I was initially looking at the Dura Ace pd7810, but because I've got knee problems (arthritis) I've started thinking about the speedplay zero because of its numerous float, fore/aft, and Q-factor adjustments. However, I have a wide foot (currently use Shimano 300 in wide width) and I was concerned the zero's wouldn't be a wide enough platform for me. Any "bigfoot" riders on speedplay that like em? Or should I stick with the wider platform pedals like dura ace, keo, etc.? TIA

-Jim

AndrewS
02-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Just curious, since you have some very real concerns; have you considered Time pedals? I was always under the impression that they allowed the most freedom of movement for issues like yours.

My impression of Speedplay road pedals is that the large area of the cleat makes up for the small pedal, unlike something like an SPD with has a small pedal and even smaller cleat. But I could certainly be wrong about this.

dave thompson
02-08-2010, 01:42 PM
I've used both Speedplay and Shimano SPD-SL pedals. As Andrew S correctly point out; the Speedplay cleats have a large area and allow for a larger choice in mounting positions. I too wear a wide shoe and I don't experience problems because of cleats. I've found that the famous 'hotspot' is largely due to shoes, not cleats.

jimp1234
02-08-2010, 07:48 PM
First of all thanks for responding. No I haven't really considered Time pedals. My thinking is that Time with 10 degrees of float, is similar to my current Look "red" cleat with 9 degrees. Except that Time is "spring loaded" so more self centering?? (correct me here if I'm wrong as I'm not an expert on Time). My reason for considering Speedplay is more the adjustability of the float, namely being able to dial in different degrees of float inside and outside. This idea is from Steve Hogg and others that some knee problems can be exacerbated by too much float, or float not tailored to address a specific individual problem. If there's something more about Time pedals I'm not aware of, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Just curious, since you have some very real concerns; have you considered Time pedals? I was always under the impression that they allowed the most freedom of movement for issues like yours.

AndrewS
02-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Time pedals have always had both angular and lateral float. No other pedal has lateral.

I don't know if that's good or bad for knees. If unlimited angular float is bad, just think how dangerous walking is! ;)

RADaines
02-09-2010, 06:48 AM
If lots of float is not needed, but rather dialing in the correct positioning of the cleat, Look Keo 2 Max are another option. You can check out the fitting video on the Look web site. Personally, I use Speedplay Zeros (and I have I wide foot) but this may work for you as you are already a Look user. Has anyone gone through this adjustment/fitting process with Keo 2 Max pedals?

http://www.lookcycle.com/en/us/look-cycle/technologies/techno-keo-fit.html

oldguy00
02-09-2010, 08:25 AM
I've used the times, keos, spd's, and the speedplay zeros.

I also wear the 'E' shimano's (215's).

Speedplay is by far my favorite. The times and the Shimanos did not feel as 'free' in terms of rotation.

The only thing I don't like about the speedplays is that I do tend to rotate my foot a lot, partly due to muscle imbalances in the hips/hamstrings, and this causes the pedal to wear out fairly quickly. Once that happens, even with new cleats, you will get 'rocking' on the pedal.
So lately I use them for one season then sell them as used and buy a new set. Given the cost of speedplay cleats, buying a new set isn't so terrible (since they come with cleats), assuming you get a few bucks for the used pair..

dogdriver
02-09-2010, 09:04 AM
I'm a EEE and use Speedplay Zero. They work great (the afformentioned) wide cleat spreads out the load on the foot very nicely).