PDA

View Full Version : OT: Who, or which Who will show up to play?

William
02-07-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm curious to see how the Who performs during the half-time show. Obviously not the best venue and a short time frame to play....so what are you thinking?

Will the Who Rock the place? Or will it be "ehh" like the Stones and Bruce shows?

William

ti_boi
02-07-2010, 01:01 PM
This Guy!

Ray
02-07-2010, 01:16 PM
I thought the "ehh" Stones and Bruce shows were just fine thanks, giving the limitations of a Supe halftime show. But they were / are still pretty much ongoing concerns. The Who hasn't been the Who since the early '80s and, to my mind, haven't been worth much since Keith Moon died. I saw them in about '83 or '84 and it wasn't worth much even then. So, I don't know, I'll enjoy it because its a halftime show and its not some damn marching band, but I'm not expecting much at all. Maybe it'll be great because my expectations are SOOOO low? I don't have any idea who's even gonna be playing bass or drums for these geezers. With Bruce and the Stones, you still kind of know who the players are.

-Ray

rugbysecondrow
02-07-2010, 01:46 PM
No offense to those in the mid-sixties, but the Who is way to F'n old to be rocking the Super Bowl. Daltrey can't sing anymore, they haven't had a good song for thirty years and most people under 35 wont know who they are unless they listen to the oldies station.

Is there nobody else that they can find? Kenny Chesney, Green Day, Pearl Jam, Usher...

rwsaunders
02-07-2010, 02:22 PM
I think that most of the Miami crowd will be saying...."who?" I'm a Who fan of years gone by, but seeing rockers performing past their prime is depressing.

echelon_john
02-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Flame away, but Prince set the bar pretty damn high IMO.

Steve in SLO
02-07-2010, 03:03 PM
I'd rather see Townshend ripping it up acoustic with Eddie Vetter screaming away...that's a good time.

Erik.Lazdins
02-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Who is doing the halftime show?

Frankwurst
02-07-2010, 03:31 PM
I thought the "ehh" Stones and Bruce shows were just fine thanks, giving the limitations of a Supe halftime show. But they were / are still pretty much ongoing concerns. The Who hasn't been the Who since the early '80s and, to my mind, haven't been worth much since Keith Moon died. I saw them in about '83 or '84 and it wasn't worth much even then. So, I don't know, I'll enjoy it because its a halftime show and its not some damn marching band, but I'm not expecting much at all. Maybe it'll be great because my expectations are SOOOO low? I don't have any idea who's even gonna be playing bass or drums for these geezers. With Bruce and the Stones, you still kind of know who the players are.

-Ray

Agreed. Without Kieth Moon they are ........well, the Who? Kinda like the Stones would be without Kieth Richards or Charlie Watts.

William
02-07-2010, 03:46 PM
The Who, Stones, etc.. were before my time...well, sort of since they're still around. I dig the early Who, and some of it even after the passing of Keith Moon. The Stones have always been on my radar, but not enough to really go out and buy a bunch of their music. Same with Bruce. I agree that the SB is not the best venue to showcase a band. I also have to agree about Prince...he rocked the place.....and I'm not even a Prince fan.

I'm just wondering if Pete and Roger have anything left to really throw down.

William

rdparadise
02-07-2010, 04:27 PM
and Justin Timberlake! LOL Now that's what I call a "SHOW!"

Anyway, the show that really rocked the 1/2 show was Tom Petty. He can still bring it, that little, old guy has a lot of charisma.

Anyway, back to the "show!"

Bob

Frankwurst
02-07-2010, 04:56 PM
and Justin Timberlake! LOL Now that's what I call a "SHOW!"

Anyway, the show that really rocked the 1/2 show was Tom Petty. He can still bring it, that little, old guy has a lot of charisma.

Anyway, back to the "show!"

Bob

Old Guy? Then I guess I'm a fricken dinosaur. But's that's O.K. beats the alternative. :beer:

dogdriver
02-07-2010, 05:04 PM
I'll watch them.

Two points of order:

1-- Saw them last January, couldn't care how old they are, they tore the place down.

B-- they did 3 songs in one of the post Sept11 shows-- seemed like 3 encores. They will require no warmup.

If Pete Townsend isn't the greatest rocker alive, someone needs to school me as to who is. It would be fun if Eddie Vedder showed, though. Of course, he's old, too-- saw him in 1990...

Also old, but I will NEVER wear a sweater around my shoulders (at least in public), Chris

johnnymossville
02-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Prince was the best halftime show in recent history. The Stones and Bruce stunk.

The Who, even with two surviving members, hearing aids and geritol are still better live than the stones ever were.

Watch the 9/11 concert, I rest my case.

Dekonick
02-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Who's left?

Erik.Lazdins
02-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Who's left?

who?

xjoex
02-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Flame away, but Prince set the bar pretty damn high IMO.

You are right, prince rocked the house.

-Joe

ti_boi
02-07-2010, 07:03 PM
THE WHO LIVE!

See it is all about traditions this football thing. Guy wakes up early to throw a ball with his kid. Kid works hard in the gym and plays the game. The Who show the world what rock sounds like.

The anthemic fury!!

jvp
02-07-2010, 07:16 PM
meet the new boss!

chuckroast
02-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Ti Boi, I love you man but I am dead in the middle of the Who's demographic and that was painful to watch.

Roger Daltrey's lost a step...

ti_boi
02-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Ti Boi, I love you man but I am dead in the middle of the Who's demographic and that was painful to watch.

Why...I love you too. I am blinded I suppose by my unabashed hero worship of one band....perhaps....the greatest living breathing band that ever walked the planet....

chuckroast
02-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Just so you know, my idol band as a youth was the Stones and I can't bear to watch them anymore either....

Ray
02-07-2010, 08:00 PM
I was a Who fan, but I thought they were pretty bad. Roger was bad - Pete tried hard. They were great rockers, but I think the reason they needed to die before they got old was because their best stuff was ALL about very high energy. I think there's a lot more going on with Bruce and the Stones, which is why I think they're better in their old ages.

Gotta trot all of these old rockers out while they can still hobble I guess.

-Ray

Nil Else
02-07-2010, 08:00 PM
The Shouldn't've Who showed up.

Steve in SLO
02-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Why...I love you too. I am blinded I suppose by my unabashed hero worship of one band....perhaps....the greatest living breathing band that ever walked the planet....

+1000, but the singing today was tough to swallow. Daltrey used to have such a great range, now all he can do is growl up to the edges of his range. Pete, who has such a beautiful, gossamer voice, had to growl back.
To you youngsters, go to Youtube and look up 'Townshend acoustic' or 'Who Leeds' to get an idea why ti_boi and I have hero worship.

Steve in SLO
02-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Pete:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1t-AZ03oE&feature=related

Who:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_FZVD5lsAw

mike p
02-07-2010, 08:22 PM
The superbowl is where bands go to die. Townshend needs to cover that fat belly.

Mike

93legendti
02-07-2010, 08:43 PM

I love '70s rock as much as anyone, but Roger's voice has seen better days.

If they want to throw '70's rockers out there, book Bad Co. for next year. Paul Rodgers sounds as good as he did in the '70's. Heck, the entire band still cooks.
Heart still sounds great. Simon and Garfunkel, Page and Plant, CSN, U2, Def Leppard, Lynyrd Skynyrd...

Nil Else
02-07-2010, 09:11 PM
I thought Page came through pretty well at the Beijing Olympic thing and kinda made up for all the post-zep heroine addiction incoherent slob that disappointed many.

What the who stood for they thoroughly lacked other than couple of Townsend's guitar bits... pretty pitiful. They would've came thru much better if they just rocked out sweaty couple of full length songs, sloppy or not, without all that pre-production package/back-up musician etc. Their age there is nothing anyone can do about but it would've been at least in spirit of the who we know.

Ahneida Ride
02-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Who's on first ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShMA85pv8M

cmg
02-07-2010, 10:14 PM
i hate medleys and to hear the remants of the Who sellout at half time was painful. they deserve better. so no band is going to be offered the halftime slot unless they can provide a medley of at least 5 great hits? i guess faith no more will never play.

rugbysecondrow
02-07-2010, 10:16 PM
i hate medleys and to hear the remants of the Who sellout at half time was painful. they deserve better.

Hell, we deserve better. It was painful and pretty clear they were lip synching. DVR was not good to them.

Steve in SLO
02-07-2010, 11:02 PM
I can't believe they were lip synching.
Their harmonies timing were off. Would you choose to pre-record something so poor?

William
02-08-2010, 04:20 AM
I really dig the Who for their hard driving style...but that was tough to watch. Roger wasn't hitting it and they both seemed to be on different timing. No one mentioned yet that Pete was having trouble with his jacket constantly getting in the way of his playing. He kept trying to flick it back and tuck it behind his guitar. I was waiting for him to tuck it into his pants but instead it looked like he pulled his shirt tails out. Then both kept getting in the way....end result: gaffed playing and the belly shots. :crap:

Bottom line....

Age caught up to their voices, and a bad clothing choice messed with Pete's licks.

William

PS: Now I'm going to rock out to the Who on youtube. :banana:

Big Dan
02-08-2010, 11:07 AM
I liked it. I'm catching Roger in concert w/ Eric Clapton next month.

Ray
02-08-2010, 11:27 AM
I can't believe they were lip synching.
Their harmonies timing were off. Would you choose to pre-record something so poor?
For the most part I agree. But when they were building up to the famous scream toward the end of "Won't Get Fooled Again", my wife an I were cringing in anticipation. The fact that the scream came off without a hitch and they NEVER showed anything even approaching a close up during it - just a long shot of the pyrotechnics of the stage lighting from the proximity of the press box or maybe the blimp...... Well, I wasn't fooled again. Or at all. Or whatever.

-Ray

McQueen
02-08-2010, 12:22 PM
For the most part I agree. But when they were building up to the famous scream toward the end of "Won't Get Fooled Again", my wife an I were cringing in anticipation. The fact that the scream came off without a hitch and they NEVER showed anything even approaching a close up during it - just a long shot of the pyrotechnics of the stage lighting from the proximity of the press box or maybe the blimp...... Well, I wasn't fooled again. Or at all. Or whatever.

-Ray

They weren't lip synching through most of it, but the scream was at the very least digitally enhanced (you could hear all sorts of effects in there to make it sound a little better). I will say that Roger sounded ok for being medicare eligible (if he was a US citizen), but Pete was rough to say the least. Ringo's kid was far from on top of it on drums, either..

I saw them in 82 or 83 in the Tangerine bowl in Orlando (w Joan Jett & the B-52's) - they were awesome then.. of course that was almost 30 years ago..

Ray
02-08-2010, 12:32 PM
I saw them in 82 or 83 in the Tangerine bowl in Orlando (w Joan Jett & the B-52's) - they were awesome then.. of course that was almost 30 years ago..
I saw 'em about the same time with the Clash opening. The Clash were better. The Who were a lot better than they are now, but I never thought they were anywhere near awesome after Moonie died. The way he and Townsend pushed each other WAS that band (and Entwhistle added plenty) and without his out of control propulsion, I didn't think it ever came close to the same. When I saw them, Kenny Jones was on drums. A solid competent professional - exactly the opposite of Keith.

-Ray

Bud_E
02-08-2010, 06:07 PM
I wasn't huge fan but I saw them sometime in the early 80's. It was without a doubt the loudest concert I've ever been to. My ears were ringing for a few days.

pjmsj21
02-08-2010, 07:08 PM
I am a pretty big Who fan. I have seen them serveral times over mutlitiple decades and last saw them about a year or so ago in Boston. I have to say I was disappointed at the Super Bowl event. I agree with the comments about Roger not being able to hit some of the notes that came easily decades ago, which is no surprise and Pete should have had different attire for sure. I dont think it was a venue or event that helped them.

That being said, I think "Endless Wire" was a pretty darn good album and is worth purchasing if you like the Who. With the help of the studio they can still make good music but big arena type events dont work in their favor.

Pete continues to create new music which cant be said of many of his contemporaries. Pete and Eddie Vedder playing acoustically in a smaller venue would be a concert to die for.

Pat Mc

rdparadise
02-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Hey Ray, I saw the Who, probably same tour with Kenny Jones on drums at the Boston Garden around 79' or early 1980. They rocked back then. Not much left today for sure.

Bob

ti_boi
02-08-2010, 08:47 PM
"...Here we are now....entertain us..."

I'd rather listen to those old codgers than the entire cast of American Idol. :beer:

Ray
02-09-2010, 05:01 AM
"...Here we are now....entertain us..."

I'd rather listen to those old codgers than the entire cast of American Idol. :beer:
Well, yeah, that's an easy call for me too. But then, I'd prefer cyanide to arsenic also. :cool:

Nothing against old codgers. Or the Who. I just didn't think had much left.

-Ray

Bob Ross
02-09-2010, 07:27 PM
If they want to throw '70's rockers out there, book Bad Co. for next year. Paul Rodgers sounds as good as he did in the '70's. Heck, the entire band still cooks.

Well, not quite: http://www.freewebs.com/bozburrell/

rounder
02-09-2010, 07:54 PM
I know it is the super bowl and something great should be presented. The Who used to be, but they sounded tired...so did the rolling stones. i am not a prince fan at all, but thought that his show was the best i remember. i dunno, but believe that the show should be relevant to today. By today's standards, that would probably mean either a hiphop or country show...not sure how that would go over. We watched the Paul McCartney Good Evening in New York City dvd (2009) to introduce the new Mets stadium yesterday. i am not a McCartney fan, but i thought he still looked and played like a Beatle...it made the Who seem irrelevant.

hookookadoo
02-09-2010, 09:27 PM
They weren't lip synching through most of it, but the scream was at the very least digitally enhanced (you could hear all sorts of effects in there to make it sound a little better). I will say that Roger sounded ok for being medicare eligible (if he was a US citizen), but Pete was rough to say the least.

+1 Roger on an age-adjusted basis was not bad but Pete was painful on the ear bone.

I can't imagine how awful it would have been if they had been on a normal stage without the phenomenal light show in the background. That materially juiced up the performance and the energy level. Without that it would have been like watching two American Idol rejects...and I listened to the Who growing up as much as the next guy.

csm
02-09-2010, 10:25 PM
I wonder if Pete and Roger simply didn't care how they sounded... it wasn't a great venue sound-wise anyway. And the NFL is pretty controlling about what gets played and how it gets done after the wardrobe malfunction.
while the stupor bowl might be a big deal here in the states, it isn't quite the international event that the advertisers would have us beleive.