PDA

View Full Version : OT:Vodka

Kevan
02-07-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm not a drinker of vodka, but with my birthday, someone gave be a bottle of Glennichnaya (sorry, no Russian keyboard in this dacha), and I don't know what to do with it. I haven't regularly sipped vodka since I was in 11th or 12th grade, mixing it with God knows what.

I figure this is the freezer sipping, or toss to the back of the throat shots variety, but I'm just not into that. Any suggestions for a recipe that would add some flavor without desecrating the subtle distinctions of its quality.

Red Bull perhaps? LOL!!!

Nautilus
02-07-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm not into vodka at all either, but if It's the only option I don't mind it at all with a good cranberry juice. Like real direct from cranberry not concentrated glass bottle type stuff. It will probably kill those subtle vodka flavors you're trying to get rid of though.

MattTuck
02-07-2010, 01:03 PM
I have never tried this, so I cannot confirm that it works... however, I have heard that this works.

Run the vodka through a charcoal filter (like Pur, or Brita) a few times. It apparently improves the quality to the point of high end vodka.

rugbysecondrow
02-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Vodka rocks, Vodka tonic is a great drink.

As an aside, I had a really great expresso Vodka the other day called Van Gogh...it was really good either chilled straight or on the rocks...mmmmmmm :)

oldguy00
02-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Vodka martini with olives.....the best!
If using for martinis, don't put the vodka in the freezer. And stir, don't shake. And don't use too much vermouth!

:beer:

Frankwurst
02-07-2010, 03:17 PM
I drink vodka like a sewer drinks water. Throw it in the freezer, pull it out,pour it over some ice and take a large slice of an orange and squeeze it over the top. Sip on it. If it tastes like diesel fuel, serve it in screwdrivers to your friends who like screwdrivers. :beer:

dave thompson
02-07-2010, 03:40 PM
I drink vodka like a sewer drinks water. Throw it in the freezer, pull it out,pour it over some ice and take a large slice of an orange and squeeze it over the top. Sip on it. If it tastes like diesel fuel, serve it in screwdrivers to your friends who like screwdrivers. :beer:
What do you call Vodka mixed with Milk of Magnesia?....a Phillips Screwdriver. :p

palincss
02-07-2010, 05:02 PM
If you like lime juice, you might very well enjoy a vodka gimlet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimlet_(cocktail)

ergott
02-07-2010, 05:31 PM
I figure this is the freezer sipping, or toss to the back of the throat shots variety, but I'm just not into that.

Send it to someone that does!

PM me if you need my addy.

Karin Kirk
02-07-2010, 06:12 PM
A house favorite here is raspberry bounce, which I learned about from the famous Ginger. Come raspberry season we bottle it up by the gallon (literally).

Raspberry Bounce from http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m0828M06.htm

1 quart raspberries (may be frozen)
2 cups white granulated sugar
1 fifth vodka (inexpensive kinds are fine)
1 gallon wide mouth jar

Wash fruit and remove stems. Place fruit in jar, breaking the skin of the
fruit as you do. Add sugar by pouring directly over fruit. Pour vodka into
the jar. Do not stir. Tightly cap jar. Set in a cook dark place for about
2 months. Shake the jar a couple times a month to redistribute the sugar
and juices. Strain liqueur off the fruit into a bowl. Discard fruit. Filter
through a coffee filter and pour into bottle.

Try this with other fruits like cranberries, cherries, plums, or peaches.

You can drink it straight or mix with sparkling lemonade or champagne. And the vodka soaked raspberries that you filter out are super delicious too.

huebar
02-08-2010, 07:16 PM
In USA i don't drink vodka to much...
but when in Russia ABSOLUT and Nemiroff - this is what we like.