PDA

View Full Version : Carbon wheels . . .

false_Aest
02-06-2010, 07:53 PM
I know what I want (Edge) but I also know I can't afford that.

Anyone roll those Neuvation C50 tubular wheels?
What about Revolution wheels?
Williams?

For racing. Maybe takin' them out for the eff of it every once and a while.

Maybe the max I can spend is $1,000. Not more.

w0rd

ThasFACE
02-06-2010, 10:39 PM
I've heard good things about revolution wheelworks. Not brand name or anything, but word is that, for the money, they're very good.

Link (http://www.revolutionwheelworks.com/)

oldguy00
02-06-2010, 11:28 PM
For 1K you can get new Easton EC90 Aero's off ebay. Killer wheels.

thegunner
02-07-2010, 12:53 AM
take a look at the soul carbon's... they ship from singapore, but their wheels are all handbuilt, and amazingly gorgeous from an aesthetic standpoint!

false_Aest
02-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Anything between the Neuvation side (~$500) and the $1k side?

Those Souls look awesome.

djg
02-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Anything between the Neuvation side (~$500) and the $1k side?

Those Souls look awesome.

Two options, really-- First, is used. some folks buy these things like candy. Although used wheels from mystery sources can be problematic, a little patience, and keeping one's eyes open, should produce some serious options from reputable people ditching edge, reynolds, or zipp, that fit the budget.

Second, keep your peepers peeled for sales, bonktown, etc. My Reynolds DV46T cross wheels were 8 and change on closeout. This mode is not necessarily inconsistent with the LBS. If you ride for a team with a shop sponsor, and they occasionally clear out last year's demo models, etc., you might find a very attractive deal on wheels that don't have heavy miles but have been well maintained.

I will say that my tt bike has a set of 50 mm vuelta wheels (Taiwan mfg rims) that I picked up for nothing on a pre-pay deal a couple of years ago and they're actually pretty good.

dd74
02-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Subscribing...

KJMUNC
02-08-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm in the same boat and have been checking reviews, asking friends etc.

Easton's EC90 Aero and SLX wheels are going for less than $900 on eBay, which seem to be a good deal if you believe the reviews.

Lots and lots of Mavic Carbone Premiums/SL's/Pro's out there for that same price as well.

If you're ok with buying used wheels you've got a lot of choices. If you're going for new-only then you're kind of left with non-name brand choices that don't necessarily appear that much better to me from a reliability standpoint.

jasond
02-08-2010, 08:16 PM
I bought a pair of William 38's last year. For the price I really couldn't beat them. While I can't really compare them to any other aero wheels I'll try to give my best opinion.

They seem stiff when I'm climbing but sometimes they seem a little wobbly when I go over a bump in the road. They have helped me shave a few minutes off my commute to work (20 miles one way) and have increased my average speed by 1/1.5mph. Of course I was rolling a pair of Mavic R-Sys which are some of the least aero wheels out there. The braking surface is not bad, I'm sure if I grabbed a fist full of front brake I could do an endo. However, when I'm braking at low speed I can feel the bike pulsate sort of. Which I can only attribute to the braking surface since I've never felt my R-Sys wheels do this.

If you were local to me I'd let you take them for a spin. All in all, I'm happy with my purchase.

J