PDA

View Full Version : OT:Knives...

oldguy00
02-06-2010, 10:57 AM
I know there must be some kitchen gurus hanging out here......cyclists love to eat...
Knives...
Shun or Global??

William
02-06-2010, 10:59 AM
I use them daily for training purposes. Nothing wakes you up like live blade training. :)

William

batman1425
02-06-2010, 11:01 AM
I havn't used Globals, but the Shun's I have rock. Much better than the german brands I have owned in the past.

Ken Robb
02-06-2010, 11:12 AM
I have lots of quality knives but I usually end up grabbing one of the ancient Chicago Cutlery knives used by my father-in-law when he was a butcher. Not much to look at but easy to sharpen to a razor edge which they hold surprisingly well.

Can anyone tell me why the beautiful Buck stainless steel knives I had were hard to sharpen but didn't hold an edge when I finally got them sharp? It seems like those drawbacks should not go together. :confused:

Nautilus
02-06-2010, 11:18 AM
I have lots of quality knives but I usually end up grabbing one of the ancient Chicago Cutlery knives used by my father-in-law when he was a butcher. Not much to look at but easy to sharpen to a razor edge which they hold surprisingly well.

Can anyone tell me why the beautiful Buck stainless steel knives I had were hard to sharpen but didn't hold an edge when I finally got them sharp? It seems like those drawbacks should not go together. :confused:

I'm afraid that's usually the nature of stainless. Unless it's a real high end stainless like S30V it's going to be kinda brittle. Generally, the best blade steel rusts due to it's high carbon content.

Blue Jays
02-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Mine include Busse SteelHearts, Benchmade AFOs & AFCKs, plus assorted Microtechs.
One supposes they could be used for cooking, yet they're better around a campsite for utility work.

William
02-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Spyderco
CRKT
Benchmade
Cold Steel
Emerson
And some old Filipino blades round out the collection. I view them more as tools but I can certainly appreciate hand made quality.

Edit: Ooops, forgot the Perrin LaGriffe.

William

dogdriver
02-06-2010, 11:43 AM
My CIA (Culinary Institute of America, not the other one) trained chef buddy recommended Henkels when I asked the same question a while back. Work great, stay sharp, last a long time...

sbornia
02-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Kitchen knives are a bit like saddles, very personal fit. I think Shun look cool, but Global's handles feel better in my hand. YMMV.

false_Aest
02-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Hommé is right. Knives = saddles.

I love my SLR but a fat old dude probably won't like it... he'll call it an "ass hatchet."

Handles are different. Weight is different. They'll hold an edge if you take care of them. They both rock.

You should go into Sur la Table or one of those fancy schmancy stores and check that stuff out. Play with it. Do this and then decide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw9puhmk0zo

djg
02-06-2010, 01:11 PM
You need to go someplace where you can check them out. If there's a decent place for a knife skills class near you, you might get to demo a variety of things (German, Japanese, weirdo Kyocera ceramic, whatever). I thought I'd love that Japanese D-shaped handle. Hated it. Just too accustomed to the German knives. In the end, you might do best with a deal on a kit, augmented by one or two distinct extras. My twenty-plus year-old Wusthof 8" chef's knife remains my go-to knife, but both W & H make cool pesudo Santoku knives -- I picked up the 5" W and really like it for smaller jobs.

There's more than a couple of manufacturers that offer good knives -- knives that will take and hold an edge and last a very long time if properly maintained. The main thing is to find something comfy.

Dekonick
02-06-2010, 01:12 PM
First - a question you must answer:

Will you take care of them? In my experience, the best knives need to be sharpened each time they are used. I am not talking with a stone and oil, but just a sharpening stick. My mother is a Cordon Blue chef and was trained by Richard Grausman - everything I know about cooking is from being her kitchen slave (read - sous chef) from age 6 until my 20's. The best chef knife she has is a steel (non stainless) blade that was given to her by Richard - all I know is that it is really old. It is razor sharp, but needs LOTS of care. A quick pass or 2 on the stick, do your chopping, clean, and lightly oil with canola oil or similar. I have Henckel,she has mostly Chicago Cutlery. You can spend more - lots more - on knives and get better blades, but a good set can last you a lifetime. Mine was in the $500 range and I like it. I still covet her ancient steel chef knife... needs a lot of TLC, but what a blade. BTW - it looks like a POS - so looks have nothing to do with utility.

:)

Dekonick
02-06-2010, 01:14 PM
BTW - a chef knife is held by the blade, with some overlap on the handle... it is worth checking out a class on technique before you take the plunge. You can probably find some on you tube.

Dekonick
02-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Gotta give a quick plug for Richard Grausman's book...

http://www.amazon.com/Home-French-Classics-Richard-Grausman/dp/0894806335

TBDSeattle
02-06-2010, 03:30 PM
I worked as a sous chef for a couple of years before college. It was during that time that I really learned how to appreciate a comfortable blade. I have to agree... if it is comfortable to you then buy it!

Today I use the Shun knifes. They are lighter than the German blades of the same model. I have them professionally sharpened about once every 20 months or so.

Other than echoing what others have said about knifes=saddle and personal preference I have just one thing to add:

Ceramic honer.

The highest quality Japanese steel is incredibly sharp and holds an edge for a long time. Add in that it is thinner and lighter than a German blade, and you have a recipe for more brittleness than German knifes. For this reason the steel honer you may use on your Henckel or Wusthof can actually damage your Japanese blade. After my last round of sharpening I bought a $30 ceramic honer on the advice of the knife sharpener. I can't believe it too me so long to make the switch! The blades are holding a razor edge very much like they came back from the sharpeners almost a year ago. It was good advice from him, but it is going to cost him some business, as I won't need knife-sharpening services as frequently.

Best- Tyler

oldguy00
02-06-2010, 03:52 PM
thx for the replies!
Now whats the best BBQ to get for $450.......

Ken Robb
02-06-2010, 05:24 PM
I haven't found a gas grill that gets hot enough for me to char a steak nearly black outside and keep the center red so I use Weber Kettles with charcoal. My new one has a propane lighter so I don't need, fluid, chimney w/newspaper, electric heating iron, etc.

If you don't like steaks my way Weber gas grills do a great job with fish, chicken, etc. Consumer Reports ran extensive tests on gas grills with some surprising bargain performers.

dave thompson
02-06-2010, 05:51 PM
I haven't found a gas grill that gets hot enough for me to char a steak nearly black outside and keep the center red so I use Weber Kettles with charcoal. My new one has a propane lighter so I don't need, fluid, chimney w/newspaper, electric heating iron, etc.

If you don't like steaks my way Weber gas grills do a great job with fish, chicken, etc. Consumer Reports ran extensive tests on gas grills with some surprising bargain performers.
I'm coming to your house for dinner! I'll bring the Tequila.

sand fungus
02-06-2010, 06:40 PM
I personally prefer the Global as they are feather light and they definitely hold a good edge and +1 for the ceramic to keep the knifes sharp for a longer period of time.

Gas grilles in the $450 range will not get hot enough to really cook steak properly and if they do they probably won't run cool enough for some of the more delicate foods. I always used Weber kettle grills before I bought my gas and they performed great.

Ken Robb
02-06-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm coming to your house for dinner! I'll bring the Tequila.

shove the teqiila--bring a BIG RED!

dave thompson
02-06-2010, 07:21 PM
shove the teqiila--bring a BIG RED!
The Tequila is for me, I'm still recovering from a highly traumatic at-sea incident.

oldguy00
02-06-2010, 07:46 PM

I like my steak exactly like that! And agree, I was never able to get them that way with my previous gas grills.
Hadn't really thought about going to charoal, but now you have me thinking!
Is yours similar to this:
http://www.weber.com/grills/default.aspx?glid=17&mid=103

false_Aest
02-06-2010, 08:13 PM

Gets it.

false_Aest
02-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Ceramic honer.

The highest quality Japanese steel is incredibly sharp and holds an edge for a long time. Add in that it is thinner and lighter than a German blade, and you have a recipe for more brittleness than German knifes. For this reason the steel honer you may use on your Henckel or Wusthof can actually damage your Japanese blade. After my last round of sharpening I bought a $30 ceramic honer on the advice of the knife sharpener. I can't believe it too me so long to make the switch! The blades are holding a razor edge very much like they came back from the sharpeners almost a year ago. It was good advice from him, but it is going to cost him some business, as I won't need knife-sharpening services as frequently.

Best- Tyler

Tyler, what did you buy?

Ken Robb
02-06-2010, 08:21 PM
I like my steak exactly like that! And agree, I was never able to get them that way with my previous gas grills.
Hadn't really thought about going to charoal, but now you have me thinking!
Is yours similar to this:
http://www.weber.com/grills/default.aspx?glid=17&mid=103

exactly--two pals got me one for Xmas so it's easier for me to cook for them. :) :beer:

Birddog
02-06-2010, 09:20 PM
If you want a great grill, get a Big Green Egg or other Kamado style ceramic cooker. My BGE gets up to 600 degrees in 20 mins. Lump charcoal (not briquettes) is the only way to go. You can use it in a Weber with decent results.
Birddog

RkyMtn
02-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Wusthof or Henkels and after a number of gas grills, charcoal is still the king. The BBQ champs only use charcoal, and not because they can't afford a gas grill.

Cheers,

Eric

rounder
02-06-2010, 10:13 PM

I am not much of a cook, but can hold my own as a grill man. We use baby webers with wood chips. Clear days, slight rain, snow or cold. Doesn't matter once the chips get started. Pretty basic, but love the way the food tastes.

Ken Robb
02-06-2010, 10:39 PM
I am not much of a cook, but can hold my own as a grill man. We use baby webers with wood chips. Clear days, slight rain, snow or cold. Doesn't matter once the chips get started. Pretty basic, but love the way the food tastes.

I bought a Smoky Joe by Weber to use on the lakeside deck of a place I rented on Lake Tahoe. It worked so well cooking small quantities that I packed it a plastic bags and brought it home to augment my bigger grill. Now that I think about it that's what reminded me that I prefer charcoal to gas. I gave away my big gas grill and bought a 22.5" Weber Kettle.

acorn_user
02-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Sheffield steel for me. I like Taylor's Eyewitness.
http://www.harrison-fisher.co.uk/

SEABREEZE
02-07-2010, 09:09 AM
We use Cutco knive, All Clad pots and pans, and a homemade babarcue. Just like Rob said, this one is charcoal with a propane ignitier, but it can also cook with propane. I ran into it at a flea market. A bunch of good ole country folk from Alabama were selling them, all types and sizes. It takes two hands to lift the Top that is on hinges. Built as the saying goes, like a german tank.
We absolutely love it.

Ozz
02-08-2010, 08:28 AM
I know there must be some kitchen gurus hanging out here......cyclists love to eat...
Knives...
Shun or Global??
I've never used Global, but I have two Shun knives that are fabulous. For hand comfort, the Ken Onion line of Shun knives can't be beat. I also have new Bob Kramer / Shun Chef knive. The handle is a little bigger around, so is more comfy for bigger hands. The Ken Onion knife is best for slicing and cutting. The blade has more of a curve to it, so it doesn't do chopping all that well. The Bob Kramer is a more traditional shape of chefs knive.

That said, I have a set of Henckels Four Star knives that are also great. I've had them for about 20 years they still do a great job.

Today I use the Shun knifes. They are lighter than the German blades of the same model. I have them professionally sharpened about once every 20 months or so.

Where do you go to have your knives sharpened. I've been thinking of getting this done. I have a sharpener, but am hesitant to "do it myself" on my nice Shun knives.

Thanks for the tip on the ceramic "steel"....will have to invest in one now.