PDA

View Full Version : If you were Lemond?

I Want Sachs?
02-04-2010, 10:29 PM
What would you do with LeMond Racing Cycles?

Sell it?
Keep it and market it with your own resource?
Shut it down?

Other options?

Marcusaurelius
02-04-2010, 10:51 PM
I would return it to it's trek roots: very nice production steel frames with optional steel fork (zurich, poprad, sarthe etc.). :)

cmg
02-04-2010, 11:17 PM
It will never sell at the level it sold with Trek. trouble with Trek, Lemond bikes were'nt different enough from them. i like them when they were steel bikes but that would limit their sales. Plus Lemond isn't interested in selling bikes. he's more interested in talking about doping in the peleton. he should sell it but then it will become something like Raleigh, just a name.

Steve in SLO
02-05-2010, 12:48 AM
1) Go have a talk with Roland Della Santa
2) Have him design crit, stage race (century) and CX frames
3) Hire some talented young builders
4) Put out high quality frames ala the Vanilla Speedvagen Workshop

I Want Sachs?
02-05-2010, 01:01 AM

I agree. The Hampsten Cycles are able to keep the mystique of the legacy while maintaining a high quality product.

oldpotatoe
02-05-2010, 08:02 AM
It will never sell at the level it sold with Trek. trouble with Trek, Lemond bikes were'nt different enough from them. i like them when they were steel bikes but that would limit their sales. Plus Lemond isn't interested in selling bikes. he's more interested in talking about doping in the peleton. he should sell it but then it will become something like Raleigh, just a name.

PelOton...pet peeve.

Chris
02-05-2010, 08:07 AM
I would use the company to finance my comeback...

Actually, I can't see Lemond going the steel route. He was always at the cutting edge of materials when he raced and I think he emphasized that in his frames too.

Mr. Squirrel
02-05-2010, 08:07 AM
PelOton...pet peeve.

old-po-ta-to. :p

mr. squirrel

gemship
02-05-2010, 08:09 AM
What would you do with LeMond Racing Cycles?

Sell it?
Keep it and market it with your own resource?
Shut it down?

Other options?

What is the purpose of your inquiries? Is it merely curiosity? Or are you stirring the pot? Is there some recent news on the net, if so care to share a link?

btw- If I were Lemond I would sell it and try my best to make peace with the cycling race world,Trek,La and enjoy retirement from cycling.

bluesea
02-05-2010, 08:24 AM

Been there, done that--fail, fail, fail. One builder is doing Bamboo these days, and the other for all we know gave up the old pseudonym, and now just goes by Superman. :banana:

pbjbike
02-05-2010, 08:25 AM

+1

He was an early proponent of carbon, and really liked Calfee's work...OTOH, If a company like Serotta has the capacity, it might be a good private label gig for them.

Kevan
02-05-2010, 08:44 AM
I don't known what occurred to breakup the relationship, it apparently was an amicable separation, but I think these two could use one another right about now, if done right. Craig, who owned the CF market early on, now is all but smothered by the big guys who have moved in on him. The LeMond name still carries some weight, but not so much for the new cyclists who weren’t around to hear about his racing career. I suspect too, that people think his middle name might be Grudge. Interesting thought, but my guess is Greg likely will be looking for a bigger frame producer.

Maybe a move to apparel?

David Kirk
02-05-2010, 08:49 AM
IMO he needs a Serotta sized/medium sized company to build a high end niche brand for him.

Dave

Liberace
02-05-2010, 09:01 AM
IMO he needs a Serotta sized/medium sized company to build a high end niche brand for him.

Dave

He should partner with Guru Cycles. They are headed back in the right direction with new ownership (Ted Matthews is a proven businessman). I think they now have the right combination to grow and succeed. The Photon is an interesting cutting edge bike and Lemond could sell a ton of them.

54ny77
02-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Quality underwear.

xjoex
02-05-2010, 09:09 AM
What person in their right mind would partner with him? You know it will end in a law suit.

-Joe

c-record
02-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Go big.

My thinking last year was that he should talk to Cannondale Sports Group ie GT, Mongoose, Schwinn, C-dale. They are aggressive and want to compete with Trek etc. They've got the $$ and resources but no name. GT doesn't have much road cred. currently, just C-dale. LeMond could have a huge retail presence really quickly with CSG.

I don't really like the vibe from the company but they could take LeMond far as a brand. As for quality, I agree with Dave K. and others about a mid-size brand. I've always liked a lot of LeMond's ideas.

johnnymossville
02-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Go big.

My thinking last year was that he should talk to Cannondale Sports Group ie GT, Mongoose, Schwinn, C-dale. They are aggressive and want to compete with Trek etc. They've got the $$ and resources but no name. GT doesn't have much road cred. currently, just C-dale. LeMond could have a huge retail presence really quickly with CSG.

I don't really like the vibe from the company but they could take LeMond far as a brand. As for quality, I agree with Dave K. and others about a mid-size brand. I've always liked a lot of LeMond's ideas.

I like this line of thinking. especially the part about competing with Trek.

I'd like to see LeMond bikes in pro racing again. It would give Greg a reason to show up at all the big races and have fun at the press conferences. :D

zap
02-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Lemond and Gary Klein should get together and build the best racing ISP frameset............out of aluminum.

Klein's legendary finish incorporating Lemonds old geo, that would be one kick azz kit.

William
02-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Lemond and Gary Klein should get together and build the best racing ISP frameset............out of aluminum.

Klein's legendary finish incorporating Lemonds old geo, that would be one kick azz kit.

I like this idea. I don't think it would actually happen, but I like it.

William

peanutgallery
02-05-2010, 11:19 AM
I would put on my leopard skin banana hammock, grab 2 bottles of the finest Ripple and head to Austin, TX. 3 Tour wins earns the privilege. :beer:

tim11
02-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Lemonds originally sold as the "quality bicycle for everyone"? I know that, for a while there, just about every new rider I knew rode a Lemond (including me) since they offered better value (frames, components, etc) than the Treks and others of the day. Don't know if that market for higher-end up still affordable even exists anymore (I guess it's dominated by Specialized these days) but wouldn't that be the logical re-starting point for the line?

I know I love my old Lemond and would buy another in a heartbeat, but more likely as an around-town or winter bike than as a replacement for my Serotta.

godfrey1112000
02-05-2010, 11:40 AM
GL needs to stop being bitter and enjoy life, if he acted like the champion he is and tried to be nice he would never reach in his pocket for anything the rest of his life, he could have been the Hank Aaron of cycling.

A bitter Man, I met him in Tucson and was disappointed

What is the purpose of your inquiries? Is it merely curiosity? Or are you stirring the pot? Is there some recent news on the net, if so care to share a link?

btw- If I were Lemond I would sell it and try my best to make peace with the cycling race world,Trek,La and enjoy retirement from cycling.

1centaur
02-05-2010, 11:52 AM
This thread should serve as a reminder to GL that getting back in the business would be tough. Guys around the age of the typical Serotta forum poster have the most positive brand associations with the name Lemond of any potential buyer, but can't come close to agreeing what the desired bike would be. Moreover, the same people are the most likely to cast a wide net around the possibilities and buy based on considerations other than brand. So it seems like the only option is something not now well offered and using the brand name as a minor hook of positive association. My thought: focus on Lemond geometry, as in "you, sir, look like a candidate for Lemond geometry." That way a bigger brand could have Lemond alongside their regular bikes without much cannibalization. Or it could be LBS steel, to attract traditionalists not aware of the options away from an LBS. But I don't think it's a lucrative business, I think it's a minor licensing deal. Which means actually re-entering the business becomes a possibility for revenues, but with far more risk. Hope he doesn't go that way.

And yeah, my first STI bike after 20 years of non-cycling was an 853 Lemond Zurich - good value spot in the Trek line-up.

Keith A
02-05-2010, 01:14 PM
This is from GregLemond.com...

http://www.greglemond.com/images/lemond_cycles2alt.gif
There's a world of innovation in the latest LeMond racing cycles - new frames, new styles, and new materials.

But it looks like this site hasn't been modified since August 2008.

c-record
02-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Yep, two of the bikes I do miss are my LeMond Tete and Klein Q-Pro.

Both of these guys brought great ideas to the market that work for me.

I've met and spoken with LeMond and I was actually very impressed. Just a regular you or I and a guy who didn't come off arrogant or showy.

fiamme red
02-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Just a regular you or I......with a German attack dog. :rolleyes:

William
02-05-2010, 02:32 PM
...with a German attack dog. :rolleyes:

Hey, better than a German attack squirrel!

http://dulu.co.uk/AttackOfTheSquirrel2.JPG

William :rolleyes: ;)

slowandsteady
02-05-2010, 03:47 PM

+1

bfd
02-05-2010, 04:04 PM
I don't known what occurred to breakup the relationship, it apparently was an amicable separation, but I think these two could use one another right about now, if done right. Craig, who owned the CF market early on, now is all but smothered by the big guys who have moved in on him. The LeMond name still carries some weight, but not so much for the new cyclists who weren’t around to hear about his racing career. I suspect too, that people think his middle name might be Grudge. Interesting thought, but my guess is Greg likely will be looking for a bigger frame producer.

Maybe a move to apparel?

Although its true that Greg and Craig did part amicably, I wouldn't want to be in business with Lemond, his current MO is suing his business "partners."

As for Calfee, although his carbon frames may not be the hottest bikes around, Craig is still doing well with his bamboo framesand if you want cheap, its hard to beat his bamboosero (sp?) line of frames made in Africa. Starting at $495, what's not to like? Moreover, since he's one of the few that can repair carbon, its my understanding that something like 1/3 of his business is now repairing other mfr carbon fiber frames. Good Luck!

Lifelover
02-05-2010, 09:01 PM
If you were Lemond?

If I were Lemond, I'd thank Lance for allowing me to still have a voice that more than a handful of people would ever hear.

Without Lance, the only people that would know who Greg is would all be over 45. The only ones that would care what he has to say, wear assless chaps and hang out in a salon.

93legendti
02-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Hire a publicist.
Work on making positive statements about cycling and cyclists.
Give up on his grudge/vendetta against Lance and any other American that wins the Tour.
Obtain an inner monologue.

THEN, re-enter the bike business.

c-record
02-05-2010, 09:24 PM
The dog was funny and the squirrel was hilarious.

rockdude
02-06-2010, 08:54 AM
He needs to take the $19,000,000 he won in the lawsute against the Yellowstone Club and start a business that he can make a profit with, Maybe a sports drink company. Or just ski all day on your own private Mountain.

Z3c
02-06-2010, 05:06 PM

Exactly!

slowgoing
02-06-2010, 06:05 PM
If I was Lemond and had $19 mill, why would I do anything???

Avispa
02-06-2010, 07:32 PM

That's a good idea... But I think LeMond (partly because of his Dad) burnt a lot of bridges and many people that worked with him wouldn't work with him again. Secondly, I could not see him getting fully involved in a bike company in the same fashion Merckx, Colnago or even Fondriest do... So that can create a lot of problems.

One thing is for sure, LeMond bikes were never LeMonds, to start with so just having his name emblazoned on a bike at this day and age is going to be a hard selling proposition; especially to the "crit" crowd and Livestrong crowd, which is the people that buy the most bike stuff and the most chunk-o-cheap bikes these days.

If I were Lemond I'd bag the bikes altogether and start a grass roots cycling club/organization whose main objective would be to improve cycling for everyone in this country. By that I mean, push municipalities to build better roads, start cycling-to-school-initiatives, etc. This is one thing, I believe no cycling star has ever done in America with the exception of Dave Zabriske. He is doing something of that sort:
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/dave-zabriskie-launches-yield-to-life-14586

..A..

Lifelover
02-06-2010, 10:48 PM

One thing is for sure, LeMond bikes were never LeMonds, to start with so just having his name emblazoned on a bike at this day and age is going to be a hard selling proposition, especially to the "crit" crowd and Livestrong crowd,..

Well said. "Lemond" as a brand is basically dead. I'm sure that Trek has files of studies showing it's demise. Very few brands get to live forever.

toaster
02-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Greg should do what Greg's going to do so that he can figure it out on his own and the rest of us should stay the f#*k out of it.

Geez, who here would want to be Lemond? I'm happy just being me.

harryschwartzma
02-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Without Lance, the only people that would know who Greg is would all be over 45.

You clearly are a (Mellow) Johnny come lately then. Lemond's greatest victory was in 1989. I was 13 then, and it made a huge impression. I'm 33 now and Lemond, to me and others both older and younger than me, will always be the greatest American rider since Major Taylor.

I very much care about what he has to say and I think he's doing the right thing now.

I'm not sure what you're implying with your last sentence but to eschew history and to dismiss the accomplishments of riders of both the recent and far past is just plain ignorant and as arrogant as Lance.

fiamme red
04-15-2010, 10:30 AM
I'd go back to making bikes like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/61cm-80s-Greg-Lemond-Maillot-Jaune-Roland-Della-Santa_W0QQitemZ180488010840QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRoad _Bikes?hash=item2a05ec7c58). :banana:

climbgdh
04-15-2010, 11:24 AM
all i know is i absolutely LOVE my Lemond poprad. awesome awesome bike. ride it a ton and would definitely buy another Lemond whereas I would never even consider Trek..... FWIW :rolleyes:

steelrider
04-15-2010, 03:11 PM
I'd go back to making bikes like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/61cm-80s-Greg-Lemond-Maillot-Jaune-Roland-Della-Santa_W0QQitemZ180488010840QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRoad _Bikes?hash=item2a05ec7c58). :banana:

+1! That is a sweet example of Roland's work in SLX. I might need to place a bid.

happycampyer
04-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Quality underwear.Would go nicely with the LeMond Wedgies.

BengeBoy
04-15-2010, 03:56 PM
If I was Lemond and had $19 mill, why would I do anything???

+100

Go for a bike ride.
Decompress.
Think about ways to leave a memory other than a stream of litigation. Do something related to bike advocacy that *doesn't* involve racing.

Peter P.
04-15-2010, 05:34 PM
LeMond should become director of a team. That's the only way I see him, or rather his bike name, re-gaining any credibility. Of course, he'd have to "reinvent" his frames i.e., create a marketing scheme to reintroduce them to the public, with some credibility.

I think his presence in some sort of position in a pro team would be good for him, the racers, and the sport.

Satellite
04-15-2010, 06:35 PM
LeMond should become director of a team. That's the only way I see him, or rather his bike name, re-gaining any credibility. Of course, he'd have to "reinvent" his frames i.e., create a marketing scheme to reintroduce them to the public, with some credibility.

I think his presence in some sort of position in a pro team would be good for him, the racers, and the sport.

Peter P.,

Spot on I would definatly tune into this show. Best suggestion yet, why hasn't Greg thought of this?

Satellite

14max
04-15-2010, 07:14 PM

DreaminJohn
04-16-2010, 08:58 AM
I'm over 45 and I have anger issues. :D

But seriously, Greg Lemond inspired me. Because of him, I bought my first "serious" bike. I hope that whatever he does with the next phase of his life will be as inspiring to everyone, including him.