PDA

View Full Version : Road Cycling In And Around Yosemite

rdparadise
02-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Guys:

I'm heading out to Yosemite the end of June for a week long multi family vacation. I'm wondering if it makes sense to ship a bike out that way for the week. Any thoughts?

I've been there for shorter stays, however never a week. I like hiking, but, hey, let's face it, I like riding my road bike a hell of a lot more. I know getting around the valley on a bike is probably the best way aside from the shuttle buses, but what about the road riding?

Alright you California and Nevada Forumites, let me know what you think? If there's good riding, I'd love a cue or two for anything from 30-60 mile range.

Thoughts? Am I nuts? Okay, don't answer that one.

Thanks for any and all recommendations.

Bob

pdmtong
02-04-2010, 11:06 PM
I can't comment on riding outside the valley floor, but I can say riding the loop on the valley floor is like asking to be hit by a car. no shoulders, no bike lane, distracted drivers looking up at nature's cathedral. did it once. no thanks.

majl
02-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Look here: http://www.chainreaction.com/tiogapass.htm

vqdriver
02-05-2010, 12:42 AM
Gotta get out of the valley for any kind of sane riding. Even then it's not really worth the effort if you're only there a week. Yosemite is best enjoyed on foot.

Ken Robb
02-05-2010, 09:27 AM
rent a balloon-tired cruiser and ride the valley floor with your family for a couple of hours and forget any other riding. You would have to drive quite a way to find fun safe riding. Take look at the various lodging options in Yosemite West for family living.

roguedog
02-05-2010, 10:38 AM
+1 to everyone else's comments just to reinforce that it's unsafe.

It is bad enough just driving the Park when there's rubber necking drivers all over the place. I'd not want to ride it.. as gorgeous as it'd be.

Valley Floor in "casual cruise" mode is the safest unless you drive out for bit.

If you're insistent it *might* be a little less Disneyland-like out Wawona Hotel way. But I've only been out that part of the Park once and it was during Nov when traffic is low anyway.

Bradford
02-05-2010, 11:16 AM
...but when I was touring through Yellowstone I had a conversation about riding with a ranger. He said that one of the biggest problems is that people in rented Winnebagos and folks dragging trailers they are not used to forget they have those big mirrors on the side of the truck. He said a couple of times a year they whack some cyclist in the head as they drive by.

I had a near miss myself when a guy in a car, who was looking at the sights, almost pushed me into a buffalo.

I'm very tempted to ride more in the parks, but it is some of the most dangerous riding you can do, especially in busy season. That being said, my time in Yellowstone is some of my most memorable riding ever. So, plenty of good and bad.

rdparadise
02-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Guys:

I fully understand and agree with most everything said regarding the level of safety driving around the park. I know the valley floor would be a zoo in June and riding up to the pass is too narrow and curvy for it to be safe.

I just thought, maybe, there was some decent riding just outside the park to the west. Sigh, I guess it's not to be.

Well, hiking and other activities will definitely be in order.

Thanks again,

Bob

Louis
02-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Do any National Parks offer MTB options?

Steve-O
02-05-2010, 03:16 PM
The roads to the east off 395 are less crowded. Maybe look around Mammoth, Mono Lake, or rides out of the Bridgeport area. There is a Century that might give you some ride ideas. www.fallcentury.org

BengeBoy
02-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Re: riding in National Parks --

Let the family go to Yosemite, bring your bike to Washington and ride through Mt. Rainier National Park, across North Cascades National Park, and work in a side trip up to the top of Mt. St. Helens Volcanic Monument. If you're not finished, there's always a ride up to Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park.

Just sayin'

etu
02-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Bob,

I rode from Crane's Flat (intersection to valley floor and Tioga Pass) to Tioga Pass and over to Mono Lake back in 2001. It was probably my most memorable ride ever. Views of Half Dome, descending to Tenaya Lake, cruising through Tuolomne Meadows. It was spectacular. Use the www.chainreaction.com link for info. I did it on Labor Day Weekend and the traffic was not bad at all. It's not like the valley. Depending on the time in June, Tioga Pass might not even be open so the traffic may be even less, although your ride might have to be curtailed due to snow up at higher elevations.

Don't miss out on an opportunity to ride in one of the most beautiful places on earth! It's even better if you can ride over the pass into Lee Vining and Mono Lake.

Ken Robb
02-08-2010, 11:46 AM
I would have a problem coming from my home at sea level and riding long climbs at high altitude to get over Tioga Pass. As you said, the road is often closed well into June and this looks to be a BIG snow year.

benb
02-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Hey Guys.. would the recommendation to avoid road riding in Yosemite also hold for late April?

My wife and I are going to be able to visit then.. we hadn't really thought about cycling. However we are expecting some of the hiking to be off limits at that time due to snow.

However for the same reason we can't pack in snowshoes and gear for serious hiking, we probably also don't want to schlep a ton of bike stuff across California.. (It is more of a road trip, not a trip to Yosemite for an extended period)

Ken Robb
02-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Les and I went there end of April first week of May on our honeymoon. We were snowed in two mornings until the roads were plowed and melted. My M3 wouldn't take chains. We had our bikes along but really only rode in the valley on paths because the roads are too narrow, no shoulder and often no way to turn around until you've ridden quite a few miles because the roads are one-way you can only cross the river at a bridge. We were able to ride our bikes up to Mirror Lake which is not allowed on park rentals but overall it wasn't worth transporting our own bikes when we could have done the Valley on balloon rentals just fine.