PDA

View Full Version : Ride Fuel

sjanicola
03-07-2005, 06:37 AM
What are your recommendations when it comes to hydration and nutrition during rides?

I mix 2 scoops of Ultra Fuel by Twin Lab in a large bottle. This drink is supposed to "replace glycogen, extending endurance, and helping to improve overall performance during training". I usually polish off 1 large bottle per hour of riding.

As for eating while I ride, I've tried Gu which isn't that bad. I've also taken bananas, Go-Lean kashi bars, ...

On a separate post, someone recommended Endurox within 15 minutes after a ride.

jeffg
03-07-2005, 06:55 AM
You have to think about how long you are riding an at what intensity. Also, weather plays a big factor for me with maltodextrin (think Extran boxes, Enervit) key in very hot conditions when solid food ceases to appeal to me.

I swear by Sustained Energy for very long rides, but for anything under 3 hrs it is not the right stuff ... :banana: :banana:

Ozz
03-07-2005, 08:19 AM
Anything under 3 hours....just water and a clif bar....

Longer rides might include some gatorade....

Post ride is just some real food (toast, oatmeal, waffles, pancakes, eggs, etc).

Birddog
03-07-2005, 08:40 AM
I used to use Ultra Fuel for recovery after rides, it seemed to work fine. A few years ago I switched over to Endurox as a recovery drink, and I think it is a little better. It's all very subjective. On the bike for anything over 35 miles or so, I use Accelerade mixed 50/50 with powdered Gatorade. It works well for me, and I find that I don't need to eat as many Clif/Power bars or Gu type gels. On very long rides (centuries etc), I place my pre-measured powder mixture in small zip locks and add it to water on rest stops. This way, I'm not totally at the mercy of whatever sponsor is providing the sports beverage esp considering the haphazard way they mix that stuff out on the course. Some Clif/Power bars and a couple of GUs usually works for a backup.

Birddog

Blastinbob
03-07-2005, 08:50 AM
I use carboplex mixed in my bottles, it has no taste at all, which I like. If i'm riding long i'll take a flask filled with hammergel apple/cinnamon, when it warms up taste like apple pie filling, mmmmmm, and throw a cliff bar in the pocket. Endurolytes if the ride is going to be stressfull and all of the above. E-CAPS produces some great products for endurance athletes (http://www.e-caps.com) Bob

weisan
03-07-2005, 09:45 AM
The ride on Saturday was a breakthrough for me, as far as performance goes. And the only change I made was very minor and some of you may even laugh at me, and that's ok. What I did was put in 1 1/2 tablespoon of salt in my camelbak mix in with water. In the past, leg cramps have always been my achilles heels. If I don't have leg cramps, I can pretty much keep up with anybody on the road (you betcha!), fitness-wise, endurance-wise, mental-toughness whatever were never the issue. When my legs start to lock up, all I can do was waved a goodbye kiss to my buds. So, ride fuel for me personally, on top of all the usual stuff that I carry: Gu, Clif-bars, Gatorade etc....+ Salt. :D

bostondrunk
03-07-2005, 09:51 AM
good ol fig newtons. :D

H.Frank Beshear
03-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Fig newtons and a salted nut roll have saved me more than once on a century ride. Wash it down with a cold pepsi or coke. I can only handle the healthy stuff for so long and then I need some good old processed sugar, fat and salt. :D I save the :beer: for after the ride though sorry B.D. Frank

Ozz
03-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Fig newtons and a salted nut roll have saved me more than once on a century ride. Wash it down with a cold pepsi or coke. I can only handle the healthy stuff for so long and then I need some good old processed sugar, fat and salt. :D I save the :beer: for after the ride though sorry B.D. Frank
mmmmmm....PayDay bars..... :)

davids
03-07-2005, 10:46 AM
good ol fig newtons. :D
Try the Fig Newmans! They're even better.

Skrawny
03-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Gatorade gu or bananas during ride.

here's the odd part: post ride I usually have about a pint of nonfat chocolate milk (after I have rehydrated). I know it does not sound very refreshing, but it is a good mix of simple and complex sugars, protein (about 20g) and calories (250-300 Kcal).
-s

bostondrunk
03-07-2005, 02:42 PM
milk make me fart bad........

Skrawny
03-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Beer does the same to me, but I still drink it!
May not be the best rehydration alternative though.
Mmmmmmm Sierra Nevada....
-s