PDA

View Full Version : Hole along the seat lug. Safe?

ckamp
02-04-2010, 11:58 AM
So I have this frame and I just noticed that there is a hole that runs through the intersection of the seat tube and the lug. The picture below is not my frame but shows the area effected in red. My frame is Columbus SPX. Its used as a commuter bike.

What do you think?

goonster
02-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Need high-res, closeup pictures of the actual bike.

Could be a crack, could be paint, could be a minor brazing void. Can you get it to grow by flexing the bike?

ckamp
02-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Its truly a hole. With the seat-post out and some light, it shines right through. Its an old frame that has not been ridden in years and has gone unnoticed. Its currently just a frame not built up so I cant tell you if it progresses. Putting in the seatpost is hard because there is a small bump on the inside of the frame where the hole is located.

shiftyfixedgear
02-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Might have been a stuck seatpost that someone removed by sawing straight down the post. It is common to go a little too far with the jab saw and end up cutting right through the seat tube ( it is thin up there).

Without a decent picture (i.e. macro setting) it is hard to imagine why there would be a hole there.

Even with a hole, it is in an area tha recieves very little stess. The seatpost further helps to re-inforce the area.

Louis
02-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Depends on how you're riding it.

Will the crack likely continue to grow? Probably.

Would I ride it for "normal-type aggressive things" (curvy downhills, etc)? No.

Would I ride it on a bike path at 5 mph with my kids (if I had any) on their bikes? Yes

If you do choose to use it be sure the seatpost extends well below the failure and inspect it before / after every ride.

goonster
02-04-2010, 03:29 PM
old bike + neglect + commuter = rust

Check other parts of the frame for integrity, especially around the bottom bracket and lower headlug.

We can't determine, over the internet, if the frame is safe to ride. This is not a location typically associated with stress-cycle propagated failures.

ckamp
02-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the help. Ill keep an eye on it.

AndrewS
02-04-2010, 04:06 PM
You may want to remove that bump inside with an appropriately round file. That way the seat post isn't putting further pressure on this weakened area.

Louis
02-04-2010, 05:44 PM
You may want to remove that bump inside with an appropriately round file. That way the seat post isn't putting further pressure on this weakened area.

The static stress due to this should not be a big deal. If you remove the bump you might be removing good metal that is providing some strength. Depends on whether or not the bump is tube wall or some other thing stuck to the tube. I'd leave it alone. Extra feature to help prevent the seatpost from slipping. :p