Your
Own
Throttle
Application

:)

William
02-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Anyone remember Audi? :bike:

They got through self accelerating cars, Toyota will to. Hey, I've got a Toy that's 24 years old with over 250,000 miles on it and it's still going stong. I've had fewer problems with it than many of the newer cars I've owned.

Just sayin', They've got a screw up, they'll fix it, pay out what needs to be paid, and make dang better cars coming out of it atmo.

William

goonster
02-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Akio Toyoda gave in interview in Davos in which he apologized (http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/29/toyota-ceo-apologizes-to-those-affected-by-throttlegate/) to customers, and was then driven away in an Audi*. Doh!

I have never been a fan of Toyota's products, but I cannot gloat over this cluster**** of tech problems and bad PR.

(* = In his defense, I believe the cars are supplied to conference attendees)

Pete Serotta
02-04-2010, 11:41 AM
It seems like every few years some auto manufacturer has a massive recall.... Ford Explorer, Audi, and the list goes on. The information age allows a far better focus on things that go wrong.

If you have a auto that the gas does stick or accelerates,,, THROW the gear selector into neutral and apply the brakes till you can pull over...... Another option is to turn the key off but then you lose the power steering and possibly the brake pedal will be harder to press.

goonster
02-04-2010, 11:44 AM

They got through self accelerating cars
There was nothing wrong with the cars. Some of their customers' feet were too fat for the pedals and 60 Minutes' "dramatized" footage did not help.

goonster
02-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Another option is to turn the key off
I believe some of the cars affected by the recall do not have keyed ignition. They have an 'Engine Start' button. Perhaps someone here can tell us what happens if you press (and hold) that at highway speeds.

paulrad9
02-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Anyone remember Audi?

The sad thing was that Audi was proven to be innocent and all problems were driver (..cough, dumb American, cough...) error (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi#Modern_era).

Blue Jays
02-04-2010, 12:15 PM
"...Anyone remember Audi?...""...There was nothing wrong with the (Audi) cars.
Some of their customers's feet were too fat for the pedals and 60 Minutes' "dramatized" footage did not help..."Goonster is precisely correct. That outrageously reckless television show nearly bankrupted a reputable automobile brand in this country.
Amateurish drivers insisted their feet were on the brake, yet analysis ultimately concluded they mistakenly depressed the accelerator to the floor.
This was due to their unfamiliarity with closer controls in the Audi sedan and subsequent panic.
Besides, there is no such thing as a typical passenger vehicle that can completely overpower its own brakes and accelerate out of control.

AndrewS
02-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Audi did almost go under. Toyota had its first ever negative year in '09. This ain't gonna help.

It's hard to imagine such a giant faltering, but when banks are tight it's possible for even a giant to fall. I find current Toyotas boring, but they certainly are a quiet and super high quality choice.

William
02-04-2010, 12:25 PM
The sad thing was that Audi was proven to be innocent and all problems were driver (..cough, dumb American, cough...) error (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi#Modern_era).

As an American who drove one of those cars, I don't recall hearing or reading about that....but then again, I never had a problem with it.....even with my size 16 canoes. http://forums.pcpitstop.com/style_emoticons/New_emoticons/shrug.gif

William

MattTuck
02-04-2010, 12:49 PM
I didn't remember the Audi situation so I looked it up and found this story on the subject, and also I was only 7 when it happened.

Link (http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/cjm_18.htm)

From the article, and I think this is so true, even today (think about how "cars swerved into the right lane striking a cyclist.")

Junk science of this kind moves fast. Real science takes time to catch up with this kind of intellectual cockroach and squash it. Government agencies in Japan and Canada, as well as in the U.S., conducted painstaking studies. The Canadians who are franker about such things, called it "driver error." In America, where we can't attach blame to anyone whose name doesn't end with Inc., it was called "pedal misapplication." And unsurprisingly, it's not just Audi drivers who commit it.

Pete Serotta
02-04-2010, 12:52 PM
I believe some of the cars affected by the recall do not have keyed ignition. They have an 'Engine Start' button. Perhaps someone here can tell us what happens if you press (and hold) that at highway speeds.

This will work,,,, in that situation, what revs the engine is turning would be mute to me. :)

sg8357
02-04-2010, 01:17 PM
[snip] I find current Toyotas boring, but they certainly are a quiet and super high quality choice.

The 2nd generation MR2s were entertaining, actually too entertaining,
the cars were popular gifts for high school grads.
Trailing throttle oversteer spoiled
Chad/Buffys day too often and the insurance rates went crazy,
bye bye Mr. Two. You expect your 911 to slide a** backwards
off the PCH, not your kids Toyota. :)

Tobias
02-04-2010, 01:19 PM
If you have a auto that the gas does stick or accelerates,,, THROW the gear selector into neutral and apply the brakes till you can pull over...... Another option is to turn the key off but then you lose the power steering and possibly the brake pedal will be harder to press.
My thoughts exactly, except that I'm not sure to what degree "drive by wire" controls what we can actually do versus what we think we can do.

Transmissions are shifted by wire (the computer) so if it decides you shouldn't put your car in neutral at 80 MPH maybe you can't. I don't know what the right answer is, but I'm concerned about the use of so much automation on automobiles. It's now the throttle, transmission, electrical/electronic-assisted steering, stability control, self-braking override, and soon electrical/electronic brakes.

CNBC is going to cover this issue of drive by wire over my lunch break, and I'm looking forward to see it. Perhaps cars are safer overall but at what costs?

Ahneida Ride
02-04-2010, 01:26 PM
My buddy had one of those "self accelerating" Audi

So as a test .... he pressed the brake and floored the gas.

Car did not move.. Brake wins over gas.

paulrad9
02-04-2010, 01:27 PM
The 2nd generation MR2s were entertaining, actually too entertaining

I think you're referring to 1st gen MR2s? IIRC, for second generation they softened the springs and removed rear stabilizer bars which reduced overseer.

staggerwing
02-04-2010, 01:28 PM
In case you didn't know, fly-by-wire has fully moved from the cockpits of fighter jets to your average commercial jetliner. Airbus went there first, but everyone else has followed.

MattTuck
02-04-2010, 01:29 PM
CNBC is going to cover this issue of drive by wire over my lunch break, and I'm looking forward to see it. Perhaps cars are safer overall but at what costs?

Within the next decade, we will have cars that are virtually 100% automated, and will drive us around. In aggregate they will be much safer than cars controlled by humans. Will some break, go of course and kill someone? Probably, and the families of those people will get big settlements. But all in all, we'll be safer.

Ahneida Ride
02-04-2010, 01:31 PM
I had a problem with my Toyota Tercel ...

Had it repaired for 500 frn at my local garage.
Car was 10K outside of warranty.

I sent the bill to Toyota .... they paid it in full.

-----------

The paint peeled off my Dodge van after 3 years ....
Dodge could care less.

cmg
02-04-2010, 01:38 PM
so drive by wire's main attraction is what? makes a simple cable application way more complicated than it ever needed to be, cost more to diagnose, cost more to repair, requires more frequent inspection and adds another set of components to the engine management system. while drive by cable is a cable and some hinge points, yea the cable system needed to be updated. while i can see the application in an airplane the autombile was looking for a solution to a non-extent problem.

dancinkozmo
02-04-2010, 01:48 PM
so drive by wire's main attraction is what?

from wikipedia:

The benefits of ETC are largely unnoticed by most drivers because the aim is to make the vehicle power-train characteristics seamlessly consistent irrespective of prevailing conditions, such as engine temperature, altitude, accessory loads etc. The ETC is also working 'behind the scenes' to dramatically improve the ease with which the driver can execute gear changes and deal with the dramatic torque changes associated with rapid accelerations and decelerations.

The significance of ETC is that it much easier to integrate features to the vehicle such as cruise control, traction control, stability control, and precrash systems and others that require torque management, since the throttle can be moved irrespective of the position of the driver's accelerator pedal. ETC provides only a very limited benefit in areas such as air-fuel ratio control, exhaust emissions and fuel consumption reduction, working in concert with other technologies such as gasoline direct injection

cmg
02-04-2010, 02:28 PM
from wikipedia:

The benefits of ETC are largely unnoticed by most drivers because the aim is to make the vehicle power-train characteristics seamlessly consistent irrespective of prevailing conditions, such as engine temperature, altitude, accessory loads etc. The ETC is also working 'behind the scenes' to dramatically improve the ease with which the driver can execute gear changes and deal with the dramatic torque changes associated with rapid accelerations and decelerations.

The significance of ETC is that it much easier to integrate features to the vehicle such as cruise control, traction control, stability control, and precrash systems and others that require torque management, since the throttle can be moved irrespective of the position of the driver's accelerator pedal. ETC provides only a very limited benefit in areas such as air-fuel ratio control, exhaust emissions and fuel consumption reduction, working in concert with other technologies such as gasoline direct injection

or finding an excuse to take a simple mechanical system and overly complicating it to the point of effecting it's cost while giving the appearance of increasing it's value while not effecting it's mechanical logevity or improving it performance/mileage characteristics. but you get to say "new and improved" in all of your advertising..........pushing air pass your teeth.

RPS
02-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Drive a stick. Push the clutch in. Done.

sg8357
02-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Drive a stick. Push the clutch in. Done.

Good point, are these "suddenly accelerating" brake overpowering cars
all automatics ??

dancinkozmo
02-04-2010, 02:54 PM
or finding an excuse to take a simple mechanical system and overly complicating it to the point of effecting it's cost while giving the appearance of increasing it's value while not effecting it's mechanical logevity or improving it performance/mileage characteristics. but you get to say "new and improved" in all of your advertising..........pushing air pass your teeth.

you happen to ride a riv by chance ? :)

cmg
02-04-2010, 03:05 PM
you happen to ride a riv by chance ? :)

5 rides = 4 in steel, 1 alum/carbon and i'm looking to get dump the alum/carbon rig. planning on some carbon wheels in the future. a saronni masterlight with steel fork would be very cool....

Vancouverdave
02-04-2010, 03:07 PM
I heard that Toyota's company cafeterias will no longer serve any dishes containing apples. (;

pjmsj21
02-04-2010, 03:26 PM
I have a 2009 Toyota Rav4 that I love. It is what Toyota is all about, dependable, low maintenance affordable cars and trucks. Maybe they are not particularly exciting (I have my Saab for that), but if you look at their overall history they have delivered far and above the domestic automakers, although I am rooting for US automakers to get back on track.

Toyota will indeed fix the problem, regain customer loyalty and the press will find something else to jump on and pummel.

goonster
02-04-2010, 03:37 PM
or finding an excuse to take a simple mechanical system and overly complicating it to the point of effecting it's cost while giving the appearance of increasing it's value while not effecting it's mechanical logevity
Easy.

I also prefer the feel of a cable-actuated throttle, but an electronic pedal really is a simpler solution, particularly for cars with stability control and direct injection, because you are facing the prospect of overriding the cable input.

What I can't accept: deletion of the crankcase dipstick. :mad:

Vancouverdave
02-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Gee, sounds suspiciously like stuffing the gear changing mechanism into the brake lever.....................................

Cinci Jim
02-04-2010, 05:41 PM
I heard that Toyota's company cafeterias will no longer serve any dishes containing apples. (;

I ate in the Cafeteria today and apples were for sale... :confused:

gemship
02-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Toyota is finally doing a rust recall with early model Tundras, much like what they did with the Tacoma's.
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-announces-safety-recall-149286.aspx

Marcusaurelius
02-04-2010, 05:56 PM
I've always enjoyed my time behind the wheels of a toyota car but I did not have a similiar experience with an older jeep grand cherokee (worst thing I've ever driven). I think I can forgive toyota a mistake now and then.

William
02-04-2010, 06:55 PM
I've always enjoyed my time behind the wheels of a toyota car but I did not have a similiar experience with an older jeep grand cherokee (worst thing I've ever driven). I think I can forgive toyota a mistake now and then.

Not to pile on, but Mrs William works with a few people who own newer Jeep products and they're constantly having problems with them and have to take them in for work. I've owned a Jeep in the past, and Mrs William wanted one recently but.... :bike: Not with what's she's seen her co-works experience.

William

BengeBoy
02-04-2010, 07:25 PM
I remember the Audi situation very clearly. I followed all the coverage at the time, and what astounded me at the time was the gullibility of 60 minutes. They 100% believed what the alleged victims were saying, even though (as I recall) *nobody* offered up *any* logical engineering explanation as to why the cars might be accelerating. The cars were just mysteriously accelerating on their own (later determined to be user error).

At least in the Toyota case, there have been two separate explanations (the floor mats, and the gas pedal part that has been redesigned and is being replaced).

As far as Audi went -- it nearly ruined the brand. After a couple of years, Audi was nearly gone from the U.S., and their resale values had plummeted. Nothing about the situation made sense to me, so in '92 or so I used that opportunity to buy my first (lightly used) Audi at a huge savings. Great car, and I've gone on to own a series of Audi's since then (now on my 7th).

William
02-04-2010, 07:31 PM
I remember the Audi situation very clearly. I followed all the coverage at the time, and what astounded me at the time was the gullibility of 60 minutes. They 100% believed what the alleged victims were saying, even though (as I recall) *nobody* offered up *any* logical engineering explanation as to why the cars might be accelerating. The cars were just mysteriously accelerating on their own (later determined to be user error).

.....As far as Audi went -- it nearly ruined the brand. After a couple of years, Audi was nearly gone from the U.S., and their resale values had plummeted. Nothing about the situation made sense to me, so in '92 or so I used that opportunity to buy my first (lightly used) Audi at a huge savings. Great car, and I've gone on to own a series of Audi's since then (now on my 7th).

I do remember that Audi did issue a "recall" and put in a mechanism that wouldn't let you shift it into gear with out the brake pedal being depressed. Even if it was user error, they were stuck between a rock and a hard place at the time.

William

RPS
02-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Seems now the Prius has brake problems also; as do some Ford hybrids. Switching between regenerative and "real" brakes may cause confusion. And I heard Prius lights have gone out while driving due to electronic issue. What happened to the good old days when a switch turned the lights on and off?

As the Chronicle stated cars are becoming rolling computers. Let's hope someone doesn't start hacking into them and planting viruses to make them do crazy stuff -- now that they have access to the Internet and all. :rolleyes:

dancinkozmo
02-05-2010, 09:49 AM
seems to me it shouldnt be too difficult for manufacturers to install something similar to a "black box" flight recorder on aircraft...then when a fault/incident/accident occurs the data could be checked to help determine the exact cause

mcteague
02-05-2010, 09:55 AM

At least in the Toyota case, there have been two separate explanations (the floor mats, and the gas pedal part that has been redesigned and is being replaced).

As far as Audi went -- it nearly ruined the brand. After a couple of years, Audi was nearly gone from the U.S., and their resale values had plummeted. Nothing about the situation made sense to me, so in '92 or so I used that opportunity to buy my first (lightly used) Audi at a huge savings. Great car, and I've gone on to own a series of Audi's since then (now on my 7th).

60 Minutes had a number of mistakes around that time. Alar in apples and the mercury filling one. Both turned out to be bogus. I seem to recall that the only error on Audi's part was that their gas and brake pedals were ever so slightly close together as compared to other cars. Still, user error it was.

Tim

goonster
02-05-2010, 10:08 AM
seems to me it shouldnt be too difficult for manufacturers to install something similar to a "black box" flight recorder on aircraft...then when a fault/incident/accident occurs the data could be checked to help determine the exact cause
Drivetrain CPU's already track a lot of that data, but there is no industry-wide standard. Datapoints like top speed and max rpm are routinely checked by service departments, who then use it to deny your warranty claim.

In a case like the stuck accelerator, the utility of this data might be very limited. Perhaps the car recorded a maxed-out pedal input for 20 seconds prior to a wreck, but it can't tell you if that was caused by a faulty sensor, transmitter, mechanical linkage, floor mat, or the driver's foot.

Cars are fundamentally different from aircraft in this regard. When a plane fails, it drops out of the sky and perhaps even sinks to the bottom of an ocean. When a car fails, it simply stops, generally. Even if it runs into something, it normally leaves surviving witnesses and a heap that can be investigated.

Blue Jays
02-05-2010, 10:08 AM
"...I seem to recall that the only error on Audi's part was that their gas and brake pedals were ever so slightly close together as compared to other cars..."The design wasn't an error on the part of Audi.
Proximity of accelerator, brake, and clutch pedals was to facilitate heel & toe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel-and-toe) driving technique.

RPS
02-05-2010, 10:40 AM
The design wasn't an error on the part of Audi.
Proximity of accelerator, brake, and clutch pedals was to facilitate heel & toe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel-and-toe) driving technique.
Can’t deliberate decisions be mistakes? In my opinion this was an error in judgment. Maybe not a technical error, but one nonetheless.

Besides, how many drivers – American or otherwise – practice heel and toe? They pursued a “cool” factor and it caused them big time.

JeffS
02-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Can’t deliberate decisions be mistakes? In my opinion this was an error in judgment. Maybe not a technical error, but one nonetheless.

Besides, how many drivers – American or otherwise – practice heel and toe? They pursued a “cool” factor and it caused them big time.

They didn't pursue anything. They just hadn't learned to dumb their cars down for the american market yet.

William
02-05-2010, 10:53 AM
They didn't pursue anything. They just hadn't learned to dumb their cars down for the american market yet.

That would mean that they didn't understand their target market. Mistake either way...no?

William

paulrad9
02-05-2010, 10:54 AM

..and who is gonna pay for the technology and associated investigations after an accident?

Blue Jays
02-05-2010, 11:00 AM
"...They pursued a “cool” factor and it caused them big time..."A vicious, inaccurate, yet popular television program is what cost Audi significant marketshare.
The so-called "unintended acceleration" was caused by people who panicked and allegedly slammed on the brakes...it was determined the amateurish drivers were actually pushing the accelerator to the floor.

goonster
02-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Besides, how many drivers – American or otherwise – practice heel and toe?
Those who know how to drive properly. I do (admittedly, not much in the diesel), some of my friends do, and other forumites do too.

They pursued a “cool” factor and it caused them big time.
I doubt it. The big sedans in question were not sold on "cool". Their "mistake", if we must call it that, was twofold:

1. Failure to modify a pedal arrangement that European drivers had used without problems for generations.

2. Failure to distance the brake pedal for automatics. You don't heel-toe in an automatic, and you can use the left foot to trail-brake.

RPS
02-05-2010, 11:38 AM
That would mean that they didn't understand their target market. Mistake either way...no?

William
Exactly my point. It doesn't matter whether we should all know how to heel and toe or not, the fact remains that almost no American does -- with very few exceptions. If Americans are dumber than European drivers and need "dumb-down" cars so be it.

Fact remains that 95 percent of cars sold today are automatic, with only about 5 percent stick (granted numbers where higher when the Audi situation occurred). And of the manual stick-shifts, I'd bet very few drivers (less than 1 out of 100) heel and toe. And of those, only a small fraction of miles are spent driving aggressive enough to H&T.

If they intentionally compromised pedal position for 99.999 percent of miles driven by "dumb Americans" so that a very few miles could be driven using H&T that seems like an error to me.

Its right up there with building racing geometry bikes for sub-average riders because that's what Lance and a few guys ride in a race. Seems like marketing insanity to me.

RPS
02-05-2010, 11:41 AM
The so-called "unintended acceleration" was caused by people who panicked and allegedly slammed on the brakes...it was determined the amateurish drivers were actually pushing the accelerator to the floor.
And what made Audi drivers more "amateurish" than Chevy and Ford drivers? :confused:

goonster
02-05-2010, 11:45 AM
You are mistaken in the impression that heel-toe is a maneuver for racing only.

Rev-matching was required in the pre-synchro era, it reduces transmission wear today, and a heel-toe roll is required to do this properly when braking for a turn.

The fact remains: the Audis were not defective or unsafe, nor were they the only cars built with that kind of pedal arrangement. They simply had the misfortune to be purchased by a critical mass of morons.

sg8357
02-05-2010, 11:59 AM
If they intentionally compromised pedal position for 99.999 percent of miles driven by "dumb Americans" so that a very few miles could be driven using H&T that seems like an error to me.

Porsche has been selling the much dodgier 911 in America for a long time,
only in recent years with addition of artificial stability control are they
OK for dumb Americans. Sort of like selling bikes with q/r wheels to the
masses or carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, OK for the trained, pretty
scary when explained to John Q. Public.

Tobias
02-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Audi and Toyota problems are very different, but since the Audi angle is no longer OT, I’ll add my 2 cents.

The underlying issue with the Audi fiasco is to what degree a company should be held responsible or liable for the misuse of their product when the problem should have been reasonably anticipated. The placement of the pedals were fine for many drivers, but if too close for even 10 percent of buyers of which many will have accidents, does that become irresponsible behavior?

The difference between true sports cars mentioned above and most Audis that had problems is that many were simple family sedans with mothers driving their kids to soccer practice. These drivers wouldn’t have known heel & toe from enemas.

I see both sides of this issue. Companies should be free to offer anything within reason as long as they warn us in advance so we can receive proper training. On the other hand, I know that Ford and other companies must know that adding more and more distractions to automobiles is not safe for a significant number of drivers. If 90 percent can safely look up the address of a restaurant while driving that leaves 10 percent that are at an unreasonable risk to themselves and others around them. Considering that all drivers (including me) can’t accurately judge their own capabilities, is it irresponsible for Ford to sell cars to a portion of the driving population which will have accidents due to these built-in distractions?

In 5 years if we see an enormous number of accidents caused by drivers using internet access while driving are we honestly going to say that nobody saw it coming? And if it happens, are we going to say manufacturers shouldn’t be blamed because some dumb Americans can’t operate a computer while driving?

Der_Kruscher
02-05-2010, 03:58 PM
I blame my wife for my passive viewing of Bones. I sort of enjoy it but it's really cheesy and they'll take money from anybody who wants to do a product placement and build a whole episode around it. So anyway, last night I'm watching and the protagonists are driving a Toyota (big shot of the hood ornament/badge) and talking about how the accelerator pedal is a pedal just like in any other car and isn't at the whim of the electrical system or electronics. They didn't bring it up in the context of the sudden acceleration problem but it definitely came across as a non-sequiter on the show. Weird way for Toyota to try to sway public opinion - I'd think that there would be more effective, direct ways to handle this.

rwsaunders
02-05-2010, 04:38 PM
If the current Toyota issue were happening at GM or Ford, the media would be merciless.

Spinz
02-05-2010, 04:48 PM

They got through self accelerating cars, Toyota will to. Hey, I've got a Toy that's 24 years old with over 250,000 miles on it and it's still going stong. I've had fewer problems with it than many of the newer cars I've owned.

Just sayin', They've got a screw up, they'll fix it, pay out what needs to be paid, and make dang better cars coming out of it atmo.

William

Dig the Landcruiser ------ Lp

dancinkozmo
02-05-2010, 06:57 PM
If the current Toyota issue were happening at GM or Ford, the media would be merciless.

+1 big time double standard

MattTuck
02-05-2010, 07:44 PM
I blame my wife for my passive viewing of Bones. I sort of enjoy it but it's really cheesy and they'll take money from anybody who wants to do a product placement and build a whole episode around it. So anyway, last night I'm watching and the protagonists are driving a Toyota (big shot of the hood ornament/badge) and talking about how the accelerator pedal is a pedal just like in any other car and isn't at the whim of the electrical system or electronics. They didn't bring it up in the context of the sudden acceleration problem but it definitely came across as a non-sequiter on the show. Weird way for Toyota to try to sway public opinion - I'd think that there would be more effective, direct ways to handle this.

I'm pretty sure that episodes airing last night have been in production for months and doubt that the writing was meant to address the current issues.

Der_Kruscher
02-05-2010, 10:01 PM
It's very easy to cut in a few scenes that aren't key to the story line...especially if there's enough money involved. They never drive Toyotas on the show (they're FBI agents) which is a pretty big tipoff.

I'm pretty sure that episodes airing last night have been in production for months and doubt that the writing was meant to address the current issues.

RPS
02-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Anyone see "Bones" last night? It’s one of the few programs my wife and I watch together. She doesn’t do “24” type of programs and I can’t sit still through reality shows.

I had deleted that episode from the TiVo but recovered it to watch that segment again. And you are right, it wasn’t that subtle – almost Toyota AD like -- although they did a great job working it in with Bones-like humor.

First Brennan mentions she is not tailgating because the Prius has adaptive cruise control. Then she speaks into the navigation system to ask for directions to the Catholic church to show Booth she is going in the right direction, and when Booth commands the car to go faster, Brennan (not getting the joke) tells Booth the accelerator is not voice activated, but is foot activated like on any normal car.

BTW, with viewers skipping over commercial using DVRs, who is going to pay for programming? No surprise they take cash to advertise during episode.

Cinci Jim
02-06-2010, 09:30 AM
It's very easy to cut in a few scenes that aren't key to the story line...especially if there's enough money involved. They never drive Toyotas on the show (they're FBI agents) which is a pretty big tipoff.

Booth has been driving a Black Sequoia since at least last season.

Ahneida Ride
02-06-2010, 10:09 AM
How about the National Debt accelerator pedal ..
sure wish that could be fixed. It's floored. :crap:

Der_Kruscher
02-06-2010, 10:32 AM
LOL - I stand corrected! Like I said, it's my wife's show and I'm usually watching pretty passively :-) Anyway, Toyota is probably paying for the Sequoia too but that sort of product placement is much more subtle - they have to drive something right? I don't think that they've driven a Prius before... But anyway, the accelerator thing came up and it was interesting to see Toyota using a show like Bones to try to send a message about the issue.

Booth has been driving a Black Sequoia since at least last season.