PDA

View Full Version : Riding indoors!

sirroada
02-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Allright, chime in. How many of you ride on a trainer or spin bike indoors? How long are you riding for and how many times during the week are you riding? I ask because the weather in MN sucks this time of year and I am getting to old to ride outside!

Karin Kirk
02-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Go xc skiing!
Sorry to be a wise-ass, but I think I am too old to exercise indoors. :p

dave thompson
02-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Go xc skiing!
Sorry to be a wise-ass, but I think I am too old to exercise indoors. :p
Karin, I don't think college juniors are too old to ride indoors.

chuckred
02-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Allright, chime in. How many of you ride on a trainer or spin bike indoors? How long are you riding for and how many times during the week are you riding? I ask because the weather in MN sucks this time of year and I am getting to old to ride outside!

Outside on the weekends - either on skiis or the bike depending on weather. Rollers and weights during the week - don't have time to gear up and drive to the trails at night right now.

Bruce K
02-04-2010, 04:51 AM
Asthma keeps me away from road salt and temps below about 38 so it's Saturday (2hrs), Sunday (1.5), Monday (1+), and Thursday (1+ VERY INTENSIVE) on trainers or spin classes plus 1 night of RTA weight training).

I'll let you know if it's all worth it in about 6 weeks. :rolleyes:

BK

1centaur
02-04-2010, 04:58 AM
6-7 days a week; 40-50 minutes or so weekdays; 70-150 minutes weekends.

jblande
02-04-2010, 05:10 AM
indoors maybe 3-4 times per week, unless I can ride outside. At the moment, no longer than an episode of The Wire. The trainer has never been more enjoyable to be perfectly honest. The Wire has blown me away.

Ray
02-04-2010, 05:18 AM
I don't ride indoors until its been a few weeks since I've been able to ride outdoors and I start going nuts. I rode indoors a few times in early January after a tough December. But then I got outside rides in a lot in January and I'm just starting to go stir crazy again and am contemplating hitting the rollers again during the snow this weekend. I don't ride indoors unless I can help it, though, and I have a REALLY nice set of rollers, so it ain't the riding experience. Its that damned washing machine. It's obviously faster than me - I've been chasing it for several years of winters now and haven't caught the damn thing yet.

-Ray

godfrey1112000
02-04-2010, 06:17 AM
Inside training allows me to other things, P90X, yoga and weights,

but 3 days a week on the trainer are part of the program, Tuesday and Thursday 1 hour and Saturday 2+ hours

So in 2010, I was to train inside on many different things because I hated saying every year in the past 'I wish I would have trained more in January and February', three weeks to go and still on track

Plus the weather in Kansas City has been the worst, usually 5-600 miles on the books but this year only 67 miles, I will be busy catching up on the goals

Bytesiz
02-04-2010, 06:45 AM
I ride almost entirely inside during Dec, Jan, and Feb. About 3 or 4 times a week or 80-100 miles.

Of course,
Getting one of these (http://www.racermateinc.com/computrainer.asp).
Then, buying a copy of this (http://www.riderunrow.com/products_na2.htm).
Finally, joining this group (http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/netathlonbicyclists/)
really keeps me entertained.

However, by the time March rolls in, I always very ready to get back outside.

LesMiner
02-04-2010, 06:46 AM
Spin class at the health club 4 times a week for 8 hours. Three times a week at home 3 hours, I can not take any more than an hour on a trainer.

Yep Minnesota is cold with snow and ice covering roads. Cross country skiing is good if the temperature is above 15. The snow for skiing is not always good for skiing. Freezing rain today will add a coating of ice over the recent snow. The temperature will go down again once the freezing rain stops. That will leave a thick hard layer of ice over the snow.

Mr. Squirrel
02-04-2010, 07:05 AM
listen to mr. ti-guy, ride outdoors always. come on, give us a fighting chance.

mr. squirrel

veloduffer
02-04-2010, 07:08 AM
indoors maybe 3-4 times per week, unless I can ride outside. At the moment, no longer than an episode of The Wire. The trainer has never been more enjoyable to be perfectly honest. The Wire has blown me away.

+1 on The Wire
IMHO, one of the best series ever produced for television. Almost like a documentary on the workings of a city.

RADaines
02-04-2010, 07:11 AM
I have a spin bike (LeMond Rev Master) which I try to use 2-3 times a week, 1 hour each session. This is mostly for cardio, not so much for cycling fitness. More than 1 hour is too painfully boring. The other days of the week I will focus on doing core and stretching exercises. During the regular season, I find it hard to find time for core workouts, so this is a good time to focus on those areas.

207 cm
02-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Fire up some LT+ intervals and you won't be bored, sucking wind perhaps but not bored. :banana:

djg
02-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Outside most of the winter, but I don't live in Minnesota. Roads in NoVa are passable 11 or so months per year. Indoor training when the weather or the schedule mandates is on rollers and you need a fan. The trainer mostly gets used for warm-up at cross races.

pjmsj21
02-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Two or three one hour spin classes a week work well for me. In addition to these I have now started swimming which has really been humbling for me. I felt I was in pretty good cardio condition but swimming has really again humbled me.

I generally have to get out on the road at least one day a week for a relatively short ride otherwise I do go crazy with the indoor stuff.

Pat Mc

McQueen
02-04-2010, 08:22 AM
I can't just ride - so I utilize several different workouts

24 minute Tabata workouts - 10 min warmup, 20sec max, 10 recovery X 8, 10 min cool down.

Then I've been in the CTS (carmichael training) video loop..

CTS - Time Trial
CTS - Crit
CTS - video podcasts (download for about $10?) -
CTS - progressive power dvd (which I don't recommend - I only have disc one and it appears to be a collection of repackaged video podcast workouts - not nearly as polished as the Crit or Time Trial DVDs.

Aside from the TT and Crit dvds, which are pretty heavy into power intervals, the other ones I have from the video podcasts, progressive power include high cadence/pedaling, stregnth (stomps, low cadence big gear, endurance level intervals), one legged intervals, etc. There's a fair variety to the workouts..

All the CTS workouts are 1 hour - 1:10 min. Sometimes I abbreviate them at 45 minutes (more my own time constraint than anything else) - probably am half and half - tabata and CTS workouts.

Even as I say 3-4 times a week - Over the past couple of months, I've been striving for more consistency with this. It's tough - hope to get out for some skate skiing at Laurel Ridge this weekend for a diversion (maybe Sun after the snow..)

gearguywb
02-04-2010, 08:27 AM
I detest riding a trainer...but it is a great workout! Since the beginning of January I am averaging a couple days per week on the trainer and I do an hour +, usually a Spinervals workout.

rdparadise
02-04-2010, 08:44 AM
I've been committed to riding outside this year and have been able to ride just about every Saturday, except this past one because of work and bitter cold.

I also lead a Tuesday night road ride throughout the year. We've been able to get out about 3 times so far this year. This past Tuesday was 35 at night and it was an unbelievable calm before a pending small snowfall. We had an accumulation of an inch at the end.

During the week, I also do Bikram Yoga 1X's per week for 90 minutes. Haven't been doing much else, although I did a spin class last night for 45 minutes for the first time in a couple of years.

Over and out.

Bob

spiderman
02-04-2010, 08:50 AM
but becoming routine nonetheless...
i try to cross country ski for about an hour a day
and then spin no hands on the rollers
for either the first or second half
of whatever college hoops game is going on.
i like to listen to bobby knight banter
and hammer like i mean it during commercial breaks!
then i cool down with 100 sit ups/50 pushups
and yoga stretching...
oh, and i ride outside on the commute to work
days i'm not driving carpool.

PBWrench
02-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Trainer 4-5 times a week, with one roller session usually thrown in. Mostly Spinerval interval routines. Gotta love the snow!

fiamme red
02-04-2010, 09:57 AM
I've meant to ride indoors this winter, but so far haven't done it in January. Maybe this month. :rolleyes:

I have been doing the commute every day, but it's too short (5 miles round-trip) to count as exercise. I do try to get in a ride of at least 50 miles every weekend.

RPS
02-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Not enough because a trainer feels much like running on a treadmill -- just don’t enjoy it.

Yesterday I got in two TV episodes on DVD – about 90 minutes -- and today I’ll try to do the same again.

I prefer outside but don’t like cold and wet combination. It’ll probably be March before I get outside on a steady basis.

Volant
02-04-2010, 02:59 PM
7 hours in one session and then I take the rest of the week off. I'd rather have a root canal than be on the trainer every day.

207 cm
02-04-2010, 03:57 PM
7 hours in one session and then I take the rest of the week off. I'd rather have a root canal than be on the trainer every day.

I enjoyed my last root cannal, almost fell asleep.....

onekgguy
02-04-2010, 06:30 PM
I've been managing 5-10 hours a week on my TruTrainer rollers spread out over 3-4 sessions. On off days I'll hit the rower for 5-10k meters. It's a nice substitute.

Kevin g

slowandsteady
02-04-2010, 07:16 PM
45-60 mins on the trainer 4-5 days a week. I hate the trainer and NO IDEA how anyone can put in 2 or 3 hour rides on that torture beast!

I try to fit in some Yoga, push ups, situps and pullups in during the week well and some light weight work.

regularguy412
02-04-2010, 08:48 PM
I decided to bypass the weight training this year. I usually lift 3 days per week from October thru December. I've tried both indoors and outdoors in the cold. Mostly all the outdoor cold riding does for me is cause me to get sick.

So I'm riding almost every day, indoors. Most days through the week are ~one hour sessions. Sundays are 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Monday:either rollers or easy spin on trainer
Tuesday and Wednesday: Specific intervals in various effort zones
Thursday: easy spin on trainer
Friday: 'junk' miles,, sort of a do what ya feel workout-- endurance or sprinting or standing for 3 minutes in the biggest gear/w/most resistance
Saturday: steady-state spinning at a moderate effort, or off the bike if I'm a little tired.
Sunday: Ladders 53x19 @ 5 mins, 53x17 @ 5 mins, 53x15 @ 5 mins, then ladder back down. If I'm feeling good, I'll throw a 53x14 @ 5 mins in the mix.

Every third or fourth week, I'll do a week of active recovery, i.e., easy spinning in a low gear or very slow turning in a big gear,,both with light resistance on the fluid trainer.

MIke in AR:beer:

rpm
02-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Spin classes 3 days a week, weights twice a week, long walk on the weekends. Most winters I ride on the weekends, but with the crappy winter we've had, the streets are just too icy for comfort. I've suffered through all the aerobics b.s.(jumps, slides, piston jog etc.) in spin but I'm about to start a new class that's pure heart rate training. It starts with a VO2 max text and a stint in the "Bod Pod" a high tech chamber that will tell me much more than I want to know about my body fat percentage, muscle mass etc.

Dekonick
02-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Been lifting 4-5 days a week, with a run (well... jog) for ~45min to 1 hour 3 days a week. Running sucks... but it is winter. Just discovered the concept 2 rower and think I like it! So far 30 min is my max, mostly because I don't have enough time to go longer if I am at the gym (gotta lift...)

Spring... where art thou?

William
02-04-2010, 08:57 PM
.... Just discovered the concept 2 rower and think I like it! So far 30 min is my max, mostly because I don't have enough time to go longer if I am at the gym (gotta lift...)

Spring... where art thou?

2000 meter piece in under at least seven minutes.....GO FOR IT!!! :D

William

KeithS
02-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Four sessions on my bike on the Kurt Kinetic at the shop, one session leader led other three with Coach Troy. 1 hour to 1.5 hours.

Dekonick
02-05-2010, 05:35 PM
2000 meter piece in under at least seven minutes.....GO FOR IT!!! :D

William

Woah! At what setting on the rower? I am still getting my groove... and am doing something in the ~7000 meter range in 30 min. on a 10 setting. To go much faster would be intersting... How do you keep your rhythm at dat pace?!?

It seems like you need to develop some muscle memory for rowing... I don't have it... yet...

Now... snow shoveling I am becoming quite proficient... :crap:

fatallightning
02-05-2010, 06:26 PM
i try and do 2x20 intervals on the rollers 3 times a week. god is it mentally taxing. cant wait for even 40 degree temp to get outside.