PDA

View Full Version : Tired of SNOW, Big storm on Friday/Saturday

Smiley
02-03-2010, 05:40 PM
They are calling for another big one, are u ready for it?

Ray
02-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Sure. I won't be riding outdoors, but that's not that unusual in January or February anyway. And we live in a condo, so we don't even have to shovel out. Just hang out by the fire and wait for it to subside and enjoy the pretty scenery out the window.

-Ray

Blue Jays
02-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Snow, ice, and slush is seriously jamming-up my outdoor mileage so far in 2010.
I've been supplementing with significantly more trail running. We'll see how it pans out later this springtime...

rugbysecondrow
02-03-2010, 06:04 PM

I just want some decent weather for my trek down to your place?

If it is snowy out, I will take the MTB out again.

Cheers,

Paul

CNY rider
02-03-2010, 06:05 PM
It's a typical El Nino pattern we're in now.
Vigorous winter storms in the south and mid-Atlantic.
In upstate NY it's cold but dry. We've not had any major snowstorms come up the coast yet and impact us up here. Most of the snow is lake effect.

duke
02-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Clear and dry (cold too) on the NH coast. The rain two weeks ago took the snow away leaving the roads in great shape. Nice riding as long as you dress for it. Looks like the weather pattern is going to continue into next week. We have been riding almost every day for awhile. Sure beats the trainer.
duke

oldmill
02-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Hell no, Smiley. Bring on the snow! After a lot of weirdly mild winters, it's about effing time. But commensurate with what CNY and Duke said, I was up in the Adirondacks a few weeks ago to ski and got...rain. Things are a bit upside down when DC is getting more snow than Lake Placid, but aside from the hit to the mileage (admittedly small this time of year anyway), I like it.

Johny
02-03-2010, 07:21 PM
58.7 inches of snow so far this winter (not counting today, more falling now). http://goldensnowball.com/

I'm still riding to work everyday.

Karin Kirk
02-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Yes Smiley, I am ready and waiting for the next big storm! :banana:
Some pics from recent days at work/play...

2nd pic - Note people scrambling along ridgetop for scale, and lift below the ridge. This is inbounds hike-to-ski terrain. (big fun!)

Steevo
02-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Karin, that looks like a fun place to work!! Wow!!

I assume they're hiking from the distant lift towards where you're standing. It looks fantastic.

Dekonick
02-03-2010, 09:02 PM
I just want some decent weather for my trek down to your place?

If it is snowy out, I will take the MTB out again.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul -

After my foray into the 17 degree MD weather, I am sticking to the concept 2 rower at the gym and the spin bike until there is a thaw. I have my shotgun loaded and am on the lookout for one groundhog... last seen somewhere in PA...
of course I am willing to help William and take out a squirrel or two...

on a side note, my back is killing me after helping a 450lb+ heffer off of a toilet yesterday. Honestly folks... when you get that large SOMEONE has to bring you food... why do they do it?

I was thinking we should get a MD forum ride together for some time in the spring/summer - perhaps a ride to Annapolis for oysters + crabs?

Anything to get my mind off of this global warming... 12+ inches... :crap:

Dekonick
02-03-2010, 09:04 PM

2nd pic - Note people scrambling along ridgetop for scale, and lift below the ridge. This is inbounds hike-to-ski terrain. (big fun!)

Tough job you have :rolleyes: how do you do it? :beer:

csm
02-03-2010, 09:22 PM
I am ready, tho saturday is our pinewood derby.... if we get significant snowfall I will be hoping that gets postponed so I can hit the local ski hill.
I've only logged 2 days so far this week.....

Norm Swift
02-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Just got back from my daughter's hockey practice. The parents, to kill time, were trading snow storm projections. The Maryland stories ranged from 30" from a Balt County Police internal report that was "off the record", four feet from someone that had access to "computer models" to the "biggest snowstorm in Maryland History" according to someone who knows someone at NOAA.

I'm guessing it will be more like 3" inches which will still shut down the city.

avalonracing
02-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Well, I'm getting a bit tired of it. My bikes are just hanging around, my motorcycle battery is dead and my patience is getting short.

rounder
02-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Shovel ready project for saturday. I like snow. Pretty sure we will be able to handle it.

thwart
02-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Hey, for those of us in the Great White North, spring is still 6 to 8 weeks away. Big storms keep this part of the Winter from getting too boring.

And remember---snow shoveling is really just a constructive form of cross training. ;) :D

Karin Kirk
02-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Karin, that looks like a fun place to work!! Wow!!

I assume they're hiking from the distant lift towards where you're standing. It looks fantastic.

Right on all counts. You can hike from the top of that lift in either direction along the ridge. The 1st photo is taken at one end of the ski area boundary. Note the orange boundary marker in the background, tiny skier hiking way in the distance, plus scary cornices. Inside the boundary the cornices are broken off daily so they won't collapse under you.

This is one of three places in the ski area where you can get some aerobic exercise and hike up beyond the lifts. So I don't ride my bike at all in the winter and at least I don't get too out of shape.

Fun place to work indeed! I am having a real hoot. :)

zap
02-04-2010, 09:27 AM

Yes.

Sunny and warm today so I will be out riding. :banana:

MattTuck
02-04-2010, 09:41 AM
I get snow shoes for christmas, and have only been able to use them twice here in NH. I'm waiting to get dumped on so i can go tromp around!

Joellogicman
02-04-2010, 09:54 AM
It's a typical El Nino pattern we're in now.
Vigorous winter storms in the south and mid-Atlantic.
In upstate NY it's cold but dry. We've not had any major snowstorms come up the coast yet and impact us up here. Most of the snow is lake effect.

Cold is fairly easy to deal with. Snow - more precisely the slushly snow/salt mix stirred up by car tires - is the pits.

Spinner
02-04-2010, 10:05 AM
58.7 inches of snow so far this winter (not counting today, more falling now). http://goldensnowball.com/

I'm still riding to work everyday.

You are a stud. :)

sc53
02-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Johny--do you ride with those studded tires?? You are CRAZY :D After riding for two weekends of beautiful mild weather, I'm back to ordering bike parts and planning some bike trips for spring and summer and reading the forum...and my Lifecycle while watching Seinfeld. Getting bored! My pups love the snow though, and a foot or more will shut down all our roads so we can snowshoe/XX ski all over the neighborhood. It'll have to do. Hope NAHBS doesn't get snowed out! Richmond CANNOT handle snow, or even the threat of snow, any better than DC can.

Johny
02-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Johny--do you ride with those studded tires?? You are CRAZY :D After riding for two weekends of beautiful mild weather, I'm back to ordering bike parts and planning some bike trips for spring and summer and reading the forum...and my Lifecycle while watching Seinfeld. Getting bored! My pups love the snow though, and a foot or more will shut down all our roads so we can snowshoe/XX ski all over the neighborhood. It'll have to do. Hope NAHBS doesn't get snowed out! Richmond CANNOT handle snow, or even the threat of snow, any better than DC can.

Hi Sarah, I do use Nokian Extreme 296 studded tires which are good for ice and rut. I prefer riding on trails if possible, for peace and safety (I had to walk a little this morning due to more snowfall last night; I actually enjoy walking).

Last evening I had to ask kids to come into the house for dinner. They were having too much fun playing snow.

Hope you guys have a lot of fun at NAHBS.

John

Johny
02-04-2010, 10:57 AM
You are a stud. :)

It's actually fun. :)

znfdl
02-04-2010, 12:48 PM
I have the computrainer ready to go, groceries bought and my wines picked out. Should be a nice weekend.

RADaines
02-04-2010, 01:34 PM
It's the groundhog's fault. I am tired of winter :crap:

salvatore
02-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Finally getting settled here in Alexandria after driving coast-coast in December, spending a great start to the year vacationing in Paris, and just back from some amazing trekking in Peru. Man, this snow is not what I was hoping for. Luckily I got an hour in this morning... although the last 15 minutes it had started to come down pretty good. I miss California :(

William
02-05-2010, 02:21 PM
It's the groundhog's fault. I am tired of winter :crap:

My co-workers blame me. If I'm wearing long pants in February....they think we're in for six more weeks of Winter. Go figure. :confused:

William :)

rounder
02-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Went to work today. We are government contractors. Some folks were griping because they would not be allowed to go home at noon like the federal employees (four hours in)but eveyone was allowed to leave by 1:30. I left work today around 3:30 to catch a 4:30 train home. Train ran on time and snow fell but was nothing special. Meanwhile they are calling for 30+ inches. We will see. Around here, we usually get snow every year, but usually no more than 4" at a time. Am fully prepared for shoveling snow tomorrow and plan to take some pics. Anyway, i know it is a major storm and hope that everyone is safe.

rwsaunders
02-06-2010, 08:46 AM
18-20" here. Time to fire up the old winter-trainer, i.e. the snowblower. My mother-in-law, who's 84, claims that it reminds her of the storm of 1950. At least it happened on a weekend.

Ray
02-06-2010, 09:24 AM
They're now calling for better than two feet here. I think we're close to that now and its still coming down hard, but its tough to tell because its windy and there are plenty of drifts that are well over 3' high. Hard to tell exactly how much has fallen. More than my dog can walk through though. I took her out this morning and she was swimming until we got out to a main road that we could walk down the middle of. She took her morning constitutional RIGHT in the middle of the road - a first! :cool:

-Ray

pbbob
02-06-2010, 09:27 AM
24" in one spot and 27" in another so far and still coming down hard. electricity is on. got some tree damage. up above my knees and over puppy phils head.
can't shovel this stuff. nowhere to put it. waiting for the men with the plow to come.
so just sitting back watching Man. City and Hull with one eye and staring at the 10th AE Desalvo that just came in with the other.

rugbysecondrow
02-06-2010, 10:14 AM
24" in one spot and 27" in another so far and still coming down hard. electricity is on. got some tree damage. up above my knees and over puppy phils head.
can't shovel this stuff. nowhere to put it. waiting for the men with the plow to come.
so just sitting back watching Man. City and Hull with one eye and staring at the 10th AE Desalvo that just came in with the other.

Yep, tried shoveling last night and again this morning to stay on top of it. It is a bunch of snow with no where to put it.

Luckily, there is Six Nations Rugby on at noon, I just ate steak-fried eggs- hashbrowns-toast, and I have some Smithwicks for today and tomorrow...all is good.

Cheers

zap
02-06-2010, 10:32 AM
No power at casa zap. Snow above my knees, at least 20 inches. Lots of tree damage on our property. Someone dropped us back in Montreal and didn't tell me.

Be safe.

znfdl
02-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Started my sleep deprivation training for the Race Across the West last evening, as I would venture outside to shovel every hour to hour and a half. Never had to shovel more than 4 inches at a time.

Smiley
02-06-2010, 11:51 AM
I Hate Snow, Especially This Much Stuff :)

pbbob
02-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Luckily, there is Six Nations Rugby on at noon, I just ate steak-fried eggs- hashbrowns-toast, and I have some Smithwicks for today and tomorrow...all is good.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

discuss.

I have a better understanding of cricket than rugby.
should have just got a second telly for the cave.

rugbysecondrow
02-06-2010, 12:14 PM

Cheers

discuss.

I have a better understanding of cricket than rugby.
should have just got a second telly for the cave.[/QUOTE]
I know nothing about cricket...I just don't get it.

Dekonick
02-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Yeah - how can a game take 3 days?!?

Louis
02-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Yeah - how can a game take 3 days?!?

They stop for tea.

rugbysecondrow
02-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Sometimes it takes a while to help the sheep over the fence.

pbbob
02-06-2010, 03:24 PM
thats why they invented the 20/20 format. takes only about 3 hours.
From what I understand when England plays it takes them less than 3 days to learn their fate and get bowled over. [a cricket joke] No offense uk forumites!
Measured again outside: 30"
there is one lane open enough to walk in my neighborhood so I walked my 3.5 mile route. Quite a sight. trees and bushes bent over awkwardly and covered with this toxic appearing white foam.

rugbysecondrow
02-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Where in Columbia are you? I live across from Centennial High and no plows yet. I got my drive done though.

salem
02-06-2010, 04:07 PM
I must just want it badly enough to still go ride. I've helped push my fair share of cars out of snow banks during winter storm rides and I ride rollers only 15-30 minutes per YEAR when I need them for low wattage spinning recovery. Today's ride in 15-20 degree New England had me finish with a good coat of ice on the beard and a smile behind that!

rwsaunders
02-06-2010, 04:25 PM
I stand corrected....23". The day started out cloudy but it's nice and sunny now...perfect sledding weather. Time to start a fire, bake some cookies, sip some vino and..........fall asleep snoring in the leather chair.

palincss
02-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Plenty of snow here in Alexandria, VA
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97916047@N00/sets/72157623366158204/show/

dsteady
02-06-2010, 06:11 PM

Slushman's?

:)

xjoex
02-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Like rw said, two feet in the city. I luckily live 2 feet from the city park so after two hours of shoveling my side walk we went snow shoeing!
http://boulder.inotion.com/joe/2010/02-06_snowstorm/100_5604.jpg
http://boulder.inotion.com/joe/2010/02-06_snowshoe/DSC_7111.JPG
http://boulder.inotion.com/joe/2010/02-06_snowshoe/DSC_7171.JPG
http://boulder.inotion.com/joe/2010/02-06_snowshoe/DSC_7215.JPG

-Joe

djg
02-06-2010, 07:00 PM

Sweet.

I spent the day shoveling. Ideally, by Monday, the main roads will be open but everything else will be closed -- I'll get to drive up to one of our fine, very non-awesome mid-Atlantic ski hills.

Velosmith
02-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Sorry we love 'el nino..... 54 and sunny in the Great Northwest. Usually ~38 and rain.

I do love the snow now and then. We missed it this year. But then we only missed riding for H1N1........ahhh crap! I hate it when I reach down for my lungs and they come back up.

Oh well... as my Mom says... such is life..

Enjoy the white while you can..

Smiley
02-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Whodini outside :)

Karin Kirk
02-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Slushman's?

Yep!

Looks like quite a storm you guys are getting - keep the photos coming! We got about 6" overnight, so maybe only about 1/4 of what Maryland got.

djg - even non-awesome ski areas can create awesome fun. Enjoy!

sc53
02-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Power was out this morning, and I had to hacksaw my way out my front door due to downed limb, but all is well now and the boys and I had some great walks w/snowshoes and camera on the community college campus that abuts our townhouses here in Alexandria.

rugbysecondrow
02-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Dittos from Ellicott City, Maryland

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/phpeter/IMG_9252.jpg

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/phpeter/IMG_9300.jpg

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/phpeter/IMG_9256.jpg

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/phpeter/IMG_9254.jpg

My street tonight...still not plowed.
http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/phpeter/IMG_9283.jpg

djg
02-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Yep!

Looks like quite a storm you guys are getting - keep the photos coming! We got about 6" overnight, so maybe only about 1/4 of what Maryland got.

djg - even non-awesome ski areas can create awesome fun. Enjoy!

Amen Karin. If it were only half an hour I'd be up there pretty often. If I get the magic work-canceled-highway-open combo I'm there tomorrow.

zip
02-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Here is Zap standing in the cleared driveway

rounder
02-07-2010, 10:15 PM
I did about 0 mph shoveling the driveway today. The snowplows have not yet hit our roads, but 4 guys with snowblowers were able to clear a path to the main road. I drove to the grocery store for supplies and saw a few dinged up and other broken down cars along the way. One car was hobbling along with a broken spoiler that was dragging on the gound. They are now calling for more snow on Tuesday. By all reasonable assessments, this should be a disasrer. But, have to say, it is really pretty out there.

Dekonick
02-08-2010, 01:21 AM
Let me see...

Tried to get home after early relief let me flee on Friday at 11p.m. Drove like an old lady at 25mph on Rt 29 to Ellicott City... saw dumbarse SUV drivers going 50+... Don't they realize 4wd gets you moving, but doesn't do ***** when you need to stop?

Once in Ellicott City, with 8+" on the ground, I made 3 attempts to get up my 14% hill to get to my house... ended up parking at the entrance to my neighborhood and hoofing it...

Saw my neighbor with the shovel getting his winter workout... told him to stop. Fired up the snowblower at midnight and and dug out 4 neighbors. Did the same at 07:00.... and again at 3 p.m. My guess was probably 26+" snow on the ground. Made ham bean soup... brought soup to my elderly neighbor and dug her out. Did the same for several others. Dug out the fire hydrant nearest to my house (everyone should do this... if you like your neighbors... and your own home for that matter...)

Finally on Sunday (today) we were plowed by the county... so I went and dug out myself and my neighbors... (I don't want my older neighbors digging in the snow... can be fatal...)

Played with kids and the dog in the snow... I made a winding path between my house and the neighbor - so the kids could stomp over and say hi to Mrs. Sue... she really likes the kids.

Now I am sore and just finished soaking in the hot tub... at 2 A.M. Even with a snow blower, 20+" of snow requires a LOT of work...

Hope the Gym is open tomorrow... the sauna has my name all over it.

More snow on the radar for wed... and again possibly on sat...

Boy am I glad I managed to take off the next 2 shifts... A whole week off to play in the snow with the kids! I am sure they will remember this winter...

And Paul... NO! I do not want to ride tomorrow. ;)

:D :banana: :crap: :beer: :crap: :crap: :butt: :no:

weisan
02-08-2010, 01:26 AM
Deko-pal, can I be your neighbor? :D

Go to sleep pal!

Me too!

SEABREEZE
02-08-2010, 07:25 AM
[QUOTE=xjoex]Like rw said, two feet in the city. I luckily live 2 feet from the city park so after two hours of shoveling my side walk we went snow shoeing!

After looking at pictures of you and the misses riding in the past snow storm, your wimmping out on me buddy. Snow shoeing, for sure if anybody would be ridding yesterday, it would be you. I dont want to hear the snow was to high :) :) :)

Love your Lab

Spent many a summer at my gradmothers farm out your way, when I was a kid. Good food and freindly people.

xjoex
02-08-2010, 01:43 PM
After looking at pictures of you and the misses riding in the past snow storm, your wimmping out on me buddy. Snow shoeing, for sure if anybody would be ridding yesterday, it would be you. I dont want to hear the snow was to high :) :) :)

Love your Lab

Spent many a summer at my gradmothers farm out your way, when I was a kid. Good food and freindly people.

Its true I feel ashamed...

Video of snowshoeing from yesterday:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChDTniRyNxE

Now I like Western PA and all, but I figure I am only here for one more year before I move on...

-Joe

avalonracing
02-08-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm also in Ellicott City MD and my neighborhood is still landlocked with snow as of late Tuesday afternoon. Funny, I bought an old 4Runner a couple of weeks ago as a spare car to load the MTB inside and tow the motorcycle and I can't even get it out of the 'hood. Now they are forecasting another 10-20" starting tomorrow and the possibility of losing power with all this weight on the trees does not look like fun.

Here's my landlocked truck with the snow on top-

pbbob
02-08-2010, 05:17 PM
I feel your pain. only got the drive cleared and car disentombed today. took a crew of 7 well over an hour.
got the hydrant cleared yesterday. told the neighbors I only did it so that phil puppy would have someplace to do his duty. he is not a snow dog.

palincss
02-08-2010, 05:35 PM
And the best part of all this is, more coming on Tuesday and Wednesday! It's great living in historic times, isn't it?

:rolleyes:

Kevan
02-08-2010, 05:54 PM
but I got a bad feeling about tomorrow's storm. Best go sharpen the shovel.

pbbob
02-08-2010, 05:56 PM
It's great living in historic times, isn't it?

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
and for those without electricity it's prehistoric times.

palincss
02-08-2010, 06:36 PM
There's a flickr group pool for Snowmageddon 2010 Metro DC:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/dcmetrosnow0210/pool/

znfdl
02-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Obama is being nice to the plublic servants, all agencies closed in DC. With the snow coming on Tuesday and into Wednesday, will the government be closed for the week?

palincss
02-08-2010, 07:28 PM
With Metro only operating underground, what real choice was there?

gasman
02-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Obama is being nice to the plublic servants, all agencies closed in DC. With the snow coming on Tuesday and into Wednesday, will the government be closed for the week?

We might all be better off if it was closed for a month. I guess the money will still get spent every day no matter what.

rugbysecondrow
02-08-2010, 08:19 PM
With Metro only operating underground, what real choice was there?

Between Metro limited, only 40% of trains running and the roads not truly operable, their is really no other option. The city is still trying to dig out and having workers trying to commute in is really a recipe for disaster. In addition, all the public schools in Maryland, DC and VA are closed in addition to many daycares. I have friends that still aren't dub out yet and they are expecting an additional 10-20 inches tomorrow through Wednesday.

It is a mess and, frankly, this area is not equipped to deal with this much snow. Most places in the US would stumble with this much snow.

rounder
02-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Federal goverment announced that it is closed for Tuesday (2/9). Future looks bleak with more snow coming tomorrow. I know that i said that i like snow a few posts earlier. I still like the way it looks, but my shoulder is getting tired from shovelling. Anyway, Spring is right around the corner (just 6 more weeks according to the groundhog).

Dekonick
02-08-2010, 08:41 PM
I remember missing a Denver Broncos playoff game in Denver back in the late 1980's because of a 36" dump... It shut Denver down for about 2-3 days. We were visiting friends - had a grand time - sledding from the roof into snow banks... and guess what! The Bronco's did have that playoff game!

Now for DC and metro - we are not ready for this much snow. The big problem is where do you put all of it? You can push some to the side, but eventually there is just too much and the only choice it to remove it and truck it somewhere to melt. You can't dump it in the bay because it is treated...wouldn't want to kill the already dead bay...

So - it will be interesting to see what happens after round 2 hits. The only good news is that eventually this ***** will melt... I hate to think about how many pot holes will be created of this mess... hopefully my main bike routes will fare ok... they looked like crap today (did a test drive to see if there was anywhere to run. The YMCA is closed... the tracks are covered... the streets are down to one lane if any... so nope. Wish I had snow shoes.)

Be safe everyone - and remember to dig out your fire hydrants! (much easier than your car)

Dekonick
02-08-2010, 08:52 PM
A couple of safety tips:

keep your heat pumps clear - if you don't you will be buying a new compressor...

keep your fireplaces going while the snow comes - it will keep the snow from covering the chimney. If it gets covered and you start a fire you will have a house full of smoke...

Flat roof? You better get some poor sap up there and shovel it clear...

Get gas now.

clear window wells of snow... otherwise when this melts you may have a flood...

Shake your trees... if you want to keep them... (especially conifers... they like to snap)

and - speaking of trees - KEEP a lookout UP when working around trees. There will be many a 'widow maker' hanging by a twig waiting to drop and kill someone...

(widow maker = big branch that has broken or partially broken from the weight of snow/ice... but is still hanging by a thread...)

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.longforestry.com/ProjectsPics/WidowMaker.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.longforestry.com/DangersTSI.html&h=480&w=409&sz=75&tbnid=9rH5PZpKXQvJzM:&tbnh=129&tbnw=110&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwidowmaker%2Btree&hl=en&usg=__NLtOQAE-SzcYVikQQdLaRnB5q1Y=&ei=oc1wS6TLAtDl8QbM4aG6Cw&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=6&ct=image&ved=0CBcQ9QEwBQ

csm
02-08-2010, 09:10 PM
We might all be better off if it was closed for a month. I guess the money will still get spent every day no matter what.

I was thinking something along this line.....

I love the snow.