PDA

View Full Version : What is a "fitting" session

Pete Serotta
02-03-2010, 04:11 PM
http://www.fitwerx.com/fitting-services/professional-fitting-video

Ian and Sarah from Fitwerx captures it pretty well here.

They are located in VT and also have quite a few other videos you might find of interest..

Our own Serotta_Steve, an outstanding fitter, now works at Fitwerx. Ian and his team are in that top tier of professional fitters and service providers.

Blue Jays
02-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Very, very cool.
Thanks for posting.

AndrewS
02-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Well done and informative video. I think the guy playing the bike shop fitter is the same actor who plays the NBC Page on 30 Rock.

I have always been curious to compare a modern scientific fit, as done in the video, with the seat and bar location provided by a "rule of thumb" fitting. I would suspect that the majority of people who have reasonably average proportions and no specific 'issues' would come out within a centimeter with both systems, but I haven't been able to test that theory out on anyone who's paid for a fit other than for medical reasons.

I have heard it said that the majority of custom geometry bicycles bear little difference to stock geometry. Which isn't to say that custom fits or custom geometry aren't valuable - it would just be a data point for someone trying to figure out whether to spring for the extra service.

Thanks for posting that.

Ahneida Ride
02-03-2010, 05:08 PM
A informative web site.

I should probably add, Steve is a walking encyclopedia on bike fit.
Computer bells and whistles are advantageous, but the accumulated
experience of the fitter is the bottom line.

207 cm
02-03-2010, 05:45 PM
And to think, they're some crazy old timers out there that still think they can fit/build just by looking at you.

William
02-03-2010, 06:19 PM
And to think, they're some crazy old timers out there that still think they can fit/build just by looking at you.

http://s3.images.com/huge.91.457895.JPG

I can! Come see me and I'll fit you right!! :banana:

William

207 cm
02-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Main Entry: sar·don·ic
Pronunciation: \sär-ˈdä-nik\
Function: adjective
Etymology: French sardonique, from Greek sardonios
Date: 1638
: disdainfully or skeptically humorous : derisively mocking <a sardonic comment>

;)

Ahneida Ride
02-03-2010, 07:01 PM
All joking aside ..

Steve has an impressive list of accomplishments.
Steve knows Bo about Jack ...

------------------

Sardine

–noun, plural (especially collectively) -dine, (especially referring to two or more kinds or species) -dines.
1. the pilchard, Sardina pilchardus, often preserved in oil and used for food.
2. any of various similar, closely related fishes of the herring family Clupeidae.
1400–50; late ME sardeine < MF sardine < L sardīna, deriv. of sarda sardine, n. use of fem. of Sardus Sardinianntence

use sardine in a sentence

Uncle William will turn me into a Sardine if I find him satirical. :banana:

fourflys
02-03-2010, 07:03 PM
So where in San Diego or Orange County, CA can I get a rider first fit? Any ideas?

207 cm
02-03-2010, 07:16 PM
So where in San Diego or Orange County, CA can I get a rider first fit? Any ideas?

All joking aside, I had a fit every time I went into the sueprmarket last time I was in San-D. The check out girls rocked so muchness they had my buying grapes one at a time.

No joking.

Ahneida Ride
02-03-2010, 07:18 PM

Give Fit Werks a call ? see whom they recommend ?

sn69
02-03-2010, 10:13 PM

I'd go with B & L in Solana Beach, Hi Tech in Kearny Mesa, Black Mountain in Mira Mesa (sponsored my RAAM team), George at Nytro--but ONLY George--in Encinitas, or Jason at Pista Palace (http://www.pistapalace.com/) in North Park. Tell Jason Scott Needle sent you. He's a Serotta- and FIST-certified fit tech, was on my RAAM team and is a helluva guy.

Scott

roguedog
02-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Wow. Thanks for that. Have been contemplating a true bike fitting of late so this was perfect timing.

Ken Robb
02-03-2010, 11:47 PM
See Kevin or Jose at California Bicycle in La Jolla. They have a fabulous fitting system which allows you to ride a bike (yours?) on the machine while you climb Palomar Mtn. You see the road unwind before you, the effort required to turn the cranks increases with the slope and your wattage is measured all the while. They can adjust your position while you are on this "trip" to see how it affects power, heart rate and comfort.

fourflys
02-04-2010, 09:07 AM
See Kevin or Jose at California Bicycle in La Jolla. They have a fabulous fitting system which allows you to ride a bike (yours?) on the machine while you climb Palomar Mtn. You see the road unwind before you, the effort required to turn the cranks increases with the slope and your wattage is measured all the while. They can adjust your position while you are on this "trip" to see how it affects power, heart rate and comfort.

Thanks Ken, I was thinking either those guys or the guy at B&L in Solana Beach...

Chris