PDA

View Full Version : BMC Bikes

fourflys
02-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Any experience with the BMC frames?

I guess what I'm really wondering about is how aggressive they are? I'm looking for something that is not going to be raced in crits and will be comfy for a century...

Thoughts on BMC for this?

Thanks!

false_Aest
02-02-2010, 10:14 PM
The geometry changes between frames.

The pro machine looks like its a about as aggro as my Classique (except it has 5mm shorter Chain Stays). Not as aggro as a Spooky or a C-Dale CAAD9.

Mah GF has one of their lower end Alum. builds and its stiff to a fault.

erector
02-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Good Ole' Andy at Competitive Cyclist just did a video review of the new BMC, team machine I think. All I know is that I want one. They look FREAKING awesome, they're as light as the light bikes (sub 1100 for a frameset), apparently stiff as the S3, and compliant enough to ride centuries on. If it's good enough for gorgeous George, it's way too much bike for me. But I ride a pegoretti, so I'm used to "too much bike."
IF I didn't own a pegoretti, and I couldn't get one, I would be on the BMC bandwagon. I do have some complaints about the new paint scheme(black), but then again, I ride a pegoretti. i think my comments on his artwork are more for that "bliss" thread.

dekindy
02-03-2010, 01:38 AM
A riding buddy that has a Waterford steel and Roark titanium purchased a Roadmaster SL01 model (green version) and likes it very well. He is in his 50's and a former racer but now only does training rides and centuries. I do not recall if this is his first carbon bike. I had been riding with him for a couple seasons before I realized he had more than one really nice bike so I am not sure about the rest of his fleet.

OtayBW
02-03-2010, 02:04 AM
Good Ole' Andy at Competitive Cyclist just did a video review of the new BMC, team machine I think. All I know is that I want one. They look FREAKING awesome, they're as light as the light bikes (sub 1100 for a frameset), apparently stiff as the S3, and compliant enough to ride centuries on. If it's good enough for gorgeous George, it's way too much bike for me. But I ride a pegoretti, so I'm used to "too much bike."
IF I didn't own a pegoretti, and I couldn't get one, I would be on the BMC bandwagon. I do have some complaints about the new paint scheme(black), but then again, I ride a pegoretti. i think my comments on his artwork are more for that "bliss" thread.
This seems to be a common theme in many reviews that I've seen, some of which are peeing in their pants over - e.g., the ProMachine (SLC01). A couple of friends who ride them alsp report similar a reaction. I am also in Switzerland now for the next 3 weeks. Hmmm...

Team Murray
02-03-2010, 02:09 AM
This year I have had 2 BMC SLC01s. I really liked the way they rode. They feel light like a monocoque but provide alot of road feedback like a lug/tube CF frame.

I just had bad luck with them. The first was stolen after just 1 week. I was hit while riding the second after having it for just a month. I decided to pass on getting a 3rd cause maybe someone does not want me on them.

I have also visted the OEM mfr in Taiwan that makes the SL01 and SLT01. The SLT01 is a very stiff carbon tube/Al lug design.

The SLC01 is made for BMC in an Easton factory. Next year, they will discontinue the SLC01 since Easton wants to get out of the frame business. The new SLR01 is made by a new supplier.

BMCs have always been sized large.

R2D2
02-03-2010, 07:35 AM
FWIW I've been riding a SLC01 for three years now. I've tried to beat it to death and hasn't broken yet. I use it on shorter Brevet's as I don't have it setup with lights for a longer events. That may change. If you look around you can pick up a SLC01 frame for 2500.00 or so. The top tube does run long.
But thats perfect for Rando.
The new Team Machine SLR01 has been designed to excel in races.
A beefer front and more stiffness for sprinting.
But if you're only interested in club rides and centuries the SLC01 is great.
It does all right in races too. Flloyd could make it go.
Put some light carbon rimmed tubulars on it and fantastic in the hills.
I have a number of different wheels sets I swap around. 25mm Aluminum tubs for all day on chip and seal. 22mm Aluminum clinchers for a faster ride.
22 mm carbon tubualrs for the hills.
May eventualy upgrade to Campagnolo 11 but Record 10 is fine with me so far.
Finally it is always an eye popping conversation starter.

BCS
02-03-2010, 07:37 AM
BMCs have always been sized large.
I have read this before but don't really understand why this occurs. Would someone explain? I am really liking the looks of the SLR01.

Charles M
02-03-2010, 07:46 AM
dont stress over the marked size.

Do what everyone should do and just look at a geometry chart. It's pretty irrelevant what they choose to call the bike that fits you...

As for the bikes, they are better over the past couple of years. The first biks to hit the US were good. then they frankly got off track a bit making bikes that were honestly a little flexy in the front end but not adding comfort with flex.

It's resolved and they have good bikes at a few price points... Quality is good and depending on Geometry you can get different things in the range. That's a nice trend from a few good manufacturers now (like sport and race version Trek's) BMC just do it with different models but the models are all pretty nice (in the upper road end anyway).

R2D2
02-03-2010, 08:13 AM
I have read this before but don't really understand why this occurs. Would someone explain? I am really liking the looks of the SLR01.
Effective Top Tube is long for stated size. Select size by Top Tube length in geo chart.

BCS
02-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Got it. Thanks. In my size, he HT length is longer than what I am used to seeing on other frames. (135 on the SLR01 vs 127 on my Look 586).

Bob Ross
02-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Next year, they will discontinue the SLC01 since Easton wants to get out of the frame business.

Crap. I always wanted a ProMachine, but not quite enough to move it high up the priority list of "Wish I Had One Of These" bikes. Oh well...

fourflys
02-03-2010, 10:35 AM
thanks all, I'm looking at couple of different options including the BMC, Look 585 Optimum and the Colnago CX-1/CLX

Anything else in this range I should think about? This would be my first carbon bike...

sbornia
02-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Anything else in this range I should think about? This would be my first carbon bike...

The new Bianchi Infinito.

1centaur
02-03-2010, 12:08 PM
thanks all, I'm looking at couple of different options including the BMC, Look 585 Optimum and the Colnago CX-1/CLX

Now we're talking my language. What's the top of your imaginary price range, is weight important, where are you in really preferring stiffness vs. comfort, and what do you like better, quick or stable handling (which I ask given Nag geos vs. some others)? Warranty/dealer close by important? Tool for a season or two or pleasure for a decade?

fourflys
02-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Now we're talking my language. What's the top of your imaginary price range, is weight important, where are you in really preferring stiffness vs. comfort, and what do you like better, quick or stable handling (which I ask given Nag geos vs. some others)? Warranty/dealer close by important? Tool for a season or two or pleasure for a decade?

Great questions!

price range- $2,500-$3k hopefully

weight is somewhat important, but I'm guessing a carbon frame/fork (already have the build kit) in this price range is pretty similar..

I'm thinking comfort overall is more important, but I have a lot of hills where I live so some climbing stiffness would be nice I guess...

I ride a Salsa Campeon right now which is pretty quick handling I think, so that wouldn't be a big deal.. but again, I'm looking more for all day comfort than a crit bike

warrenty/dealer- not that much of an issue as I'm military and will be moving a couple of years anyway (hope to stay on west coast in major cities though)

this will be a bike I will have for a LONG time...

Thanks!

CliveDS
02-03-2010, 01:29 PM
I have ridden the entire range including the new Team Machine and done reviews on my blog, check them out for more info. From what I see you saying the Racemaster is going to work best. Right now the 2009 frames are marked down everywhere.

fourflys
02-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks Clive...

So, why do you recommend the Racemaster over the ProMachine? It sounds like from your reviews that the Racemaster is much stiffer and more crit/race oriented... Did I read it wrong?

1centaur
02-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Look and Colnago are both high quality bikes. BMC has been hit or miss on riders liking it over the years - too flexy, too stiff, I've read it all (more flexies though). In that price range, Calfee Tetra Pro should not be overlooked. Great construction, comfortable, paint choices. Times on sale or lower end ones are also extremely well liked and you get the make-their-own carbon fiber thing. It's the one brand I'd like that I don't have, mostly because the paint never got quite right for me. I think any of those would be an awesome first CF bike and get the comfort/stiffness thing right.

Charles M
02-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks Clive...

So, why do you recommend the Racemaster over the ProMachine? It sounds like from your reviews that the Racemaster is much stiffer and more crit/race oriented... Did I read it wrong?

Nope. The race master is BMC's stiff guy. The comfort guy is the SLC and the SLR splits the two(but is the higher retail).

ahumblecycler
02-03-2010, 07:54 PM
I have been riding a BMC SL01 2007 since August, and I love the bike! I call her my fast bike, because I use her for club rides and such. I bought all parts used, and with a full DA7800, she cost me $1250 (minus the DA 7850 wheels). Aliante saddle, PRO vibe stem, PRO PLT bars, Thomson Masterpiece post, Profile Designs cages (yes all of this for that low price). She is in the low 17 lb range.

I am amazed by the comfort. Do not mistake my words, you feel the road but it takes hours (for me 3.5 hrs) before it gets to you. Mind you, I have the Easton 90SLX fork (bought from someone here) and carbon seat stays ... nothing else. She has more than replaced the Kuota Kebel and Roubaix S-works ... I have no regrets and I would do it again!

Plus I love yellow!

fourflys
02-04-2010, 09:08 AM
I think it might come down to a BMC or the Look 585 Optimum...

The Calfee's are nice, just don't do anything for me looks wise (no pun inteneded)

ahumblecycler
02-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Because I really enjoy my SL01, I thought I would share this:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/frame/2009-bmc-road-racer-sl-01-sram-rival-complete-bike-6950.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=Emailmarketingsoftware&utm_content=147511199&utm_campaign=BMCRoadRacerSL01SRAMRivalCompleteBike-Save40-Now1999+_+omjdu&utm_term=BMC+Road+Racer+SL+01%2fSRAM+Rival+Complet e+Bike+021110

TC Johnson
02-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Hey Fourflys,

With all the Ottrotts and MeiVici's floating around on the secondary market, have you given Serotta any consideratoin? Event the HSG can be had in stock sizes not too far from your budget.

Awesome build quality and sublime performance certainly on par with anything in the BMC line. Nothing against BMC, but there are some superlative deals out there if you look.

Just sayin'

TC