PDA

View Full Version : Expert needed - no experiance necessary

Ti Designs
03-06-2005, 06:22 PM
With all the complaints about how fitters don't know squat about bike design, I need to share my latest experiance - a Spinning class.

I took a Spinning class at a gym the other day and witnessed the worst fitting I've ever seen. The guy was trying to do his job as it was taught to him, but it was painful to watch. People get to class 15 minutes early so they get a Spinner that's not too rusty, and so they can be set up if they're new. The instructor then positions the saddle about an inch too high and sets the fore-aft adjustment so they can reach the bars. I asked the instructor if he wanted any help in setting her up, he said he was certified. I told him what I do for a living, he repeated that he was certified. Should it bother me that this woman rode a fixed gear bike with a 48 pound flywheel for an hour with the saddle too high and too far forward?

coylifut
03-06-2005, 06:39 PM
With all the complaints about how fitters don't know squat about bike design, I need to share my latest experiance - a Spinning class.

I took a Spinning class at a gym the other day and witnessed the worst fitting I've ever seen. The guy was trying to do his job as it was taught to him, but it was painful to watch. People get to class 15 minutes early so they get a Spinner that's not too rusty, and so they can be set up if they're new. The instructor then positions the saddle about an inch too high and sets the fore-aft adjustment so they can reach the bars. I asked the instructor if he wanted any help in setting her up, he said he was certified. I told him what I do for a living, he repeated that he was certified. Should it bother me that this woman rode a fixed gear bike with a 48 pound flywheel for an hour with the saddle too high and too far forward?

I've taken a spinning class or two. Each time, the instructor tried to hurt me with some absurd position. I smiled and politely set the bike up the way I ride it on the road. The answer is, no it shouldn't bother you. Let it go, you'll never win.

Smiley
03-06-2005, 08:59 PM
Ignorance is BLISS , why rain on the guys parade , I find that when he said he was certified then you should have pulled back , maybe he was trying to get her phone number . I can't lose sleep over every bad fit I see , you should not either . Its good for future business anyway .

Michael Katz
03-06-2005, 09:51 PM
I used to regularly go to spinning classes at a couple of different gyms and was stunned that most of the certified spinning instructors didn't know squat about actual riding. Everything from setting position on the bike to the workouts themselves. Some of the workout routines were kind of goofy - like standing and sitting in rapid sequence for sets of 50 - 100 "jumps". Some even risked injury - like simulating climbs by turning the resistance so high that cadence was limited to 40 rpms or standing and rocking your body side to side with your feet anchored in the pedals and your hips knees and ankles being forced out of alignment with each other as your body moved but the spinning bike didn't. The best spinning instructors I encountered were those that were actual riders ( the racers were the best - they knew how to structure workouts and apply periodization over the course of the winter). As for the rest, they were simply the product of a polished and well marketed exercise and fitness business aimed at the general populace who wanted nothing more than to work up a sweat and tire themselves out on a stationary bike.

Needs Help
03-07-2005, 12:12 AM
Some of the workout routines were kind of goofy - like standing and sitting in rapid sequence for sets of 50 - 100 "jumps". Some even risked injury - like simulating climbs by turning the resistance so high that cadence was limited to 40 rpms
lol. That describes my experiences exactly. I decided I wasn't going to do all that stuff, and instead I would just concentrate on spinning, but the instructor came over and asked me why I wasn't doing the 'exercises', and then at the end of class the instructor announced something to the effect of that it was disruptive not to follow the drills, so I stopped going.

William
03-07-2005, 03:11 AM
As for the rest, they were simply the product of a polished and well marketed exercise and fitness business aimed at the general populace who wanted nothing more than to work up a sweat and tire themselves out on a stationary bike.

BINGO!

William

Too Tall
03-07-2005, 06:12 AM

Too Tall
03-07-2005, 06:13 AM
Yeah it should bother you. People pay good $$ and if you've got an empathetic streak than have a chat with the guy in the back alley. KIDDING. Seriously, spread the love baby. Keep offering advice and make a difference where you can.

PS - Don't get me started on "SPINNING". It can be used for good or evil

keno
03-07-2005, 07:07 AM
I've attended three spinning classes with three different instructors. Each instructor said something to me to the effect of "oh, you must be a rider" and none of them was. One suggested that I raise the bars from where I had placed them as my back wouldn't be able to take it (couldn't get them as low as I actually wanted them). The instructor in each class and most every participant bobbed up and down on their bikes like dolphins without their grace.

I asked the manager of one gym if I could bring my trainer and bike, as there was plenty of room for it, even if all spinners were in use. He is still getting back to me.

BTW, my biggest problem with the classes is that you cannot determine what the bike resistance level is or your rpms with the Schwinn spinners. How can you tell what is going on over time?

I liked that I came away dripping wet.

I might go back for giggles and the drip, but not to improve my riding.

keno

Kevan
03-07-2005, 07:38 AM
after the class and ask them about their comfort. Maybe from then on the person can better dial in their own fit.

Anyway, those bikes have lousy fit so dialing your "fit" is about as easy as sliding a car seat up or back.

flydhest
03-07-2005, 08:03 AM
I liked that I came away dripping wet.

keno

If it keeps dripping, you might want to see a doctor. They have shots for that.

M_A_Martin
03-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Both you and the instructor are taking yourselves too seriously.

The thing you could do is find out where the aerobics instructor got certified (and I'm sure it was there at the gym) and offer a program to teach the instructors proper fit techniques when working with aerobics clients. Rather than just helping one hapless sweatty girl, you could improve the experience of everyone there.

weisan
03-07-2005, 10:01 AM
Both you and the instructor are taking yourselves too seriously.
It's a freak'n limited adjustment fitness stationary bike.

Rather than confront the instructor, you could have told the girl after the session that if she became uncomfortable during that session, she might want to drop her seat an inch next time. If she saw you before the next class, she'd probably ask you for help.

The next question is do you want to provide 1 minute custom fits for every single person in the class before class? That sort of cheapens your skill and learning doesn't it?

The thing you could do is find out where the aerobics instructor got certified (and I'm sure it was there at the gym) and offer a program to teach the instructors proper fit techniques when working with aerobics clients. Rather than just helping one hapless sweatty girl, you could improve the experience of everyone there.

Ginger, you are one smart gal! :p

M_A_Martin
03-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Ah Weisan, you're quicker than I am...I JUST posted that and went back and edited it!

weisan
03-07-2005, 10:10 AM
Ah Weisan, you're quicker than I am...I JUST posted that and went back and edited it!

Well then, you've got to include something funny under the "Reason for edit". :D

...actually you did, nevermind. Bad attitude?

You are swell.

keno
03-07-2005, 10:15 AM
and not know that I'm still alive?

keno

Ti Designs
03-07-2005, 03:18 PM

Gyms don't do Spinning certifications. It's a much larger program which involves money changing hands - not unlike USA Cycling's coaching certification program. In both cases you pay money for the certification, you pay for a yearly license, you pay for their continuing education program - get the theme that's going on here? My stepping in and explaining how riders should fit on bikes would get in the way of their getting paid. There's no argument I can make that will make a difference with them, I do fittings for a living, they do fittings for a living. I'm Serotta certified, they're MDA certified. Who's to say who's right?

I have a plan to make a small difference, and I'll see how it goes from there. I met this woman last year while doing my job - fitting her on a bike. I did my usual song and dance, explaining how the rider and bike should work together. I showed her things about her form that she didn't know she didn't know. I sent her home with a slightly different position and a whole lot of work to do on how she rides. As she gets better as a rider she also learns how little most Spinning instructors know about fit, position of form. So when I show up for class I'm guessing that the questions about fit will be deflected in my direction. I welcome that. I find that people would rather understand why things are set up like they are then just be set up one way and be told that's right. Maybe the word will spread, maybe I'll get kicked out of the gym.

M_A_Martin
03-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Sometimes that's true, sometimes the gym certifies it's own instructors. Depends on how big the organization is...

Word of mouth...generally, it works that way. Once people know someone in the class knows something that can make the workout hurt a little less, they get bombed with questions.

My other thought was that the instructor was making the attempt to deflect a gym lizard (He doesn't know you). I've had aerobics instructors do that for me before, I think in the name of making the female customers comfortable in the intimidating world of the gym...but then they found out who they were dealing with and left me to my own devices.

cycleman_21
03-07-2005, 07:17 PM
I consider spinning as resistance training,a supplement to riding in the off months,maybe work on form a little,strenth conditioning but need to be careful with knee issues,I think it can be a very good workout if done right,
ESPECIALLY including the correct setup.I instruct at a local club (6:00am tommorrow :p) I don't even pretend to be a pro fitter in any way shape or form,however my experience with cycling inside and outside the gym I do have an advantage over most,but would love to have a professional fitter come in and help out.I like spinning,and it got me back into cycling again,but
they are different and should be treated that way.I've been an instructor for 3 years now and fitting is still the hardest part for me,I'm always questioning my own setup for crissakes.I love the ones I go through a 5 min. setup with,
(I know thats not much but...,there is a class to do)and 2 days later I gotta do it all over again :rolleyes:,and I probably set it up different from the 1st time.I can go on and on and on about this sbject but I wont bore you with it anymore.Except for :I love it when some cry about their _ss hurts after 5 min.
when we ride saddles that are half the freakin size for 6 or 7 hours :rolleyes:
(I think of Archie Bunker:SHADDUP).now go ride.

RC