PDA

View Full Version : Economic impact of bicycling

thwart
02-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Lead story in the local newspaper today... OK, maybe it was a bit of a slow news day. :rolleyes:
Anyway, $1.5 billion worth. http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/article_526f2c44-0fb0-11df-8c95-001cc4c002e0.html

Financially as important to this state as the revered deer hunting.

That is a very (and I mean very) powerful statement here.

The kind of information that can drive the cycling movement forward. Sure hope so, anyway.

How about your area? Any guesses?

endosch2
02-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Yes but this is a bit on the high side because Wisconsin has "THE GREAT TREK BICYCLE MAKING COMPANY" (capitalized because you need to say it loudly in a low voice) located in the state. That has to contribute greatly to the business and industry in the state.

rdparadise
02-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Hey, that's great news for Wisconsin. I've been up that way for business a few times, however, was never able to get a ride in. It is a beautiful state and along the Mississippi is particularly scenic.

Anyway, cycling and deer hunting, never heard that comparison before.

Bob

dziehr
02-02-2010, 11:13 PM
This is the sort of press that the inaugural centurion in Middleton needs (http://www.centurioncycling.com/). Events like Ironman WI also bring lots of bike-related sales. However, though Madison is bike-friendly, there are pockets of hostility (as in many cities).

Just curious: does anyone here--especially anyone from outside of Wisconsin--plan on doing the centurion?

Louis
02-02-2010, 11:50 PM
This must say something about me:

It just occurred to me that when I think of Wisconsin I think of Waterford well before I think of Trek...

AndrewS
02-03-2010, 02:46 AM
I live in Madison. There are many nice centuries around here, none costing anywhere near $150. There was apparently a pretty nice one 75 miles from here that was $20 and came with a chili dinner. :)

While this sounds kind of interesting, it just seems like someone's Ironman inspired business plan. I have never understood how you can collect so much money from people who's only real goal is to finish, not even actually compete.

Sorry if that sounds cynical, but cycling used to be a relatively cheap sport. I do not pay $1000s for silly college football season tickets. I've done unsupported centuries just for the fun of it. I am capable of credit card touring without a $2500 Rivendell frame just so I can have fenders. This Centurion thing just sounds manipulative to me rather than an event for and by bicycling enthusiasts.

By all means, come to Wisconsin and punish yourself on the Horribly Hilly or any of our other fine rides. But I hope this monster fades before it becomes some new standard.

Ahneida Ride
02-03-2010, 03:00 AM
The best ride of my life was in Wiss. ;)